Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2003 10:34:49 PM EDT
Newbie here....The wife and I are going to be putting a AR15 together real soon.  What magazines are legal to use?  Are you allowed to use preban mags in a postban rifle?  We would like 20 and 30 round magazines.  Thanks for any advice on this matter.      
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:37:51 AM EDT
[#1]
You can use any capacity mag in an AR15 regardless of whether the rifle is pre or postban.  The hitch is that the MAG must have been manufactured prior to the ban.  Hicap mags made since the ban are marked LEO Use Only and are not legal for us lowly citizens.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Hello there [newbie]

I'm assuming your new not only to the site but also to the AR15.  Red-Leg is steering you right.

I would just add that the ban of 1994 is set to "sunset" in September of 2004.  If there is no legislation to extend on renew the ban, the original ban of 94 is set to automatically repeal itself after 10 years (2004). This should greatly simplify a lot of our lives...

If your planning on building an AR15, I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful advise here as well as some deals on any mags that you might need.

Good luck on your build.  Take care.

Sly
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Red-Leg and I-M-A-WMD for the replies.  I am new to the site and kinda new to the AR-15.  I get to shoot the M-16 every two years in the AF.  I am reading up on building the AR on this forum.  Very informative site.  I just wanted a Mini-14 (lower cost) but the wife like the AR better.  I sure as heck wasn't going to complain.  Is e-bay a bad place to search for mags?  Again thanks.  I will continue reading the forum.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Check the equipment exchange for mags.
The link is at the top of the screen under the ad banner.
Good choice in the AR over the Mini.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#5]
NMSS,

I justed wanted a Mini-14. (lower cost) but the wife likes the AR better.
View Quote

Sounds like a keeper. For what it's worth, I don't have a very high opinion of the Mini 14. (I might need to put my flame suit on but compared to the AR the mini doesn't stack up)

I don't know anything about ebay.  If I recall correctly, they don't allow ads for mags holding more than 10 rounds(?)  Anyway, with the EQUIPMENT EXCHANGE here at AR15.com I wouldn't bother.  Instead of going into the AR community, click into the the equipment exchange.  There is an entire section devoted only to magazine sales. There's usually a lot of good deals and reputable dealers on the exchange.  

I can't ever seem to get a hot link to work, so if you have trouble getting to the EE, just ask.  I'm sure someone will put a link on here for you.

Sly

Stryfe's post wasn't up when I replied so EDITED TO ADD:  "What Stryfe said."
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I am going with the equipment exchange. Kept looking under the Communites heading at first.  Need to still call Bushmaster for that 1:7 16"HBAR GP.  Yes, she is a keeper.  She just gave me a couple grand to put heads and cam into my Impala SS. She wants it faster. I love her. I like this forum alot, just like the Impala SS forum. Thanks everyone
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I am also in New Mexico. If you are close and need so help or parts let me know.

Cruizer

Silver City

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Ebay is probably the worst place you can go to buy AR15 mags.  There are far too many people selling aftermarket crap and not being up front about it.  Until you get more experience with the AR, I definitely echo the recommendations to stick with the EE.  If you're not comfortable with Internet private party transactions, ammoman.com is also very good.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Cruizer we live at Holloman AFB/Alamogordo. We've been to Silver City a few times. Love that area.  Thanks for the offers.   I will definitely be sticking with the EE.  A felony charge for an illegal mag wouldn't be good.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top