Bushmaster A2 rifle handguards

Comp or Inj molded?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Definately injection molded.  Compression molding is generally for soft materials, IE the soles of your Nikes.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#4]
They're identical. They use slots/grooves instead of holes/posts.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Compression molding is generally for soft materials, IE the soles of your Nikes.

That's funny the drawings call for compression molded handguards for M16s (the way Colt does it).  I'd definately say they were not soft.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Compression molding is stronger and will char when hot before it melts as injection molding will.As far as sneaker and boot soles like military issue jungle boots are a rubber/pvc mix thats injection molded,call ALTAMA DELTA theyll tell you how they make their soles..the pvc provides stregnth while the injection process keeps them flexible aka a little softer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#7]
The Mil-Spec boot soles are made of rubber and not PVC/Polyurethane.

The Commercial Spec soles are made of PVC/Polyurethane (injection molded IIRC).

When PVC is burned, toxic fumes are released and this can present a problem in close quarters/confined spaces. I.e. A fire starts inside the hull of a Bradley and a soldier's boot starts burning. A Mil-Spec boot will not be releasing toxic fumes inside such cramped quarters whereas a Com-Spec boot such as an Altama that features a PVC/Polyurethane boot sole, would be releasing toxic fumes.

I know this because I have several pair of combat boots. One was the issued full-leather/rubber sole combat boot. I bought a pair of Altama Mil-Spec Jungle Boots because the issued boots were total junk when it came to traction, comfort, and weight. I had to notch away a lot of the material on the issued boot sole to make it flexible and have better traction in the mud. I still prefer the Panama sole though.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top