Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2004 11:13:19 PM EDT
Forgive me if these questions have been asked before, but my searche turned up nothing.

1.  What do you guys think of the compact ACOG's?  I handled one at the local gun shop a couple days ago and absolutely fell in love.  Small, light, and very nice overall.  Thoughts?

2.  If I opt not to go with a flip up front sight, what is the best way to get around the front sight?  I don't want to co-witness.  With the 3x ACOG will this be an issue?  What are my options here?

Thanks in advance from a newbie.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Won't be an issue.  You'll be able to see the front sight vaguely, but it won't get in the way when you are using the ACOG.

You didn't say if you were mounting in on the carry handle or on a flat top.  The only other way "around" it is to go over it as in on top of the CH but then cheekweld can become a problem.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:50:38 AM EDT
[#2]
On the compacts I chose the T47-2 Compact with amber triangle and black post.  I really like the size. I use a carry handle mount though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:46:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Forgive me if these questions have been asked before, but my searche turned up nothing.

1.  What do you guys think of the compact ACOG's?  I handled one at the local gun shop a couple days ago and absolutely fell in love.  Small, light, and very nice overall.  Thoughts?

Great sight - what did you miss the two other current threads on this topic?

2.  If I opt not to go with a flip up front sight, what is the best way to get around the front sight?  I don't want to co-witness.  With the 3x ACOG will this be an issue?  What are my options here?

Skip the flip up front sight.  I have the 3x, at worst you have a shadow in the lower part of the scope - it's not really noticable unless you go looking for it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#4]
1.  The compact ACOGs are great sights and I find that my TA50-6 is just as fast to use from distances of 25yds and beyond as my Aimpoint ML2.  In fact, I think it might be a tad bit faster for me to acquire targets than the ML2.  That could be in my head, though.

2.  I have the 3x24 amber dot and the FSB is NOT an issue as it ghosts out.  Keep in mind that the focal point is probably yards and yards and yards away, not at the end of your barrel.

I'm using the #19s but will be moving to a LaRue compact ACOG mount come next paycheck and after I pay my first installment for the wedding caterers.  

That Compact ACOG is so hot right now, Compact ACOG.

-Jim
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I like them on carry handles.  No need for a flip up front sight when you use both eyes and are focusing down range at the target.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Won't be an issue.  You'll be able to see the front sight vaguely, but it won't get in the way when you are using the ACOG.

You didn't say if you were mounting in on the carry handle or on a flat top.  The only other way "around" it is to go over it as in on top of the CH but then cheekweld can become a problem.

Perfect.  I will be mounting it to the flat top.  I tried looking through one on a carry handle but couldn't get a comfortable cheekweld.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
1.  The compact ACOGs are great sights and I find that my TA50-6 is just as fast to use from distances of 25yds and beyond as my Aimpoint ML2.  In fact, I think it might be a tad bit faster for me to acquire targets than the ML2.  That could be in my head, though.

2.  I have the 3x24 amber dot and the FSB is NOT an issue as it ghosts out.  Keep in mind that the focal point is probably yards and yards and yards away, not at the end of your barrel.

I'm using the #19s but will be moving to a LaRue compact ACOG mount come next paycheck and after I pay my first installment for the wedding caterers.  

That Compact ACOG is so hot right now, Compact ACOG.

-Jim

What is the difference between the Arms #19 and the LaRue?  I have ZERO experience whatsoever when it comes to optics on an AR.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The only important difference in my opinion is the ability to snug the mount to the rail as tight as I'd like it to be.  

My ARMS#19s has, over the course of time, lost it's ability to "bite" the rail and not move with minimal effort.  The movement that it has is front-to-back.  

The LaRue will allow me to tighten the throw-lever whereas the #19s does not.

-Jim
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Also the 19S places the compact ACOG too low as it was not intended for the Compact ACOG but the full sized versions.  LaRue makes a compact ACOG specific version if I am not mistaken.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What is the difference between the Arms #19 and the LaRue?  I have ZERO experience whatsoever when it comes to optics on an AR.

Let me put it this way.

The LaRue is less expensive, it was designed for the Compact ACOG, it has a rail to prevent any fore/aft movement, and it's levers are adjustable (in case the your rail is slightly out of spec).

Hands down the LaRue is the better mount for the Compact ACOG.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me put it this way.

The LaRue is less expensive, it was designed for the Compact ACOG, it has a rail to prevent any fore/aft movement, and it's levers are adjustable (in case the your rail is slightly out of spec).

Hands down the LaRue is the better mount for the Compact ACOG.

I disagree.

The ARMS #19s allows for the Compact ACOG to be mounted further aft than the LaRue mount.  My setup uses the LaRue Compact ACOG Mount for the TA50-2 and while I find it acceptable, eye relief could be better if the optic was mount further aft.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The ARMS #19s allows for the Compact ACOG to be mounted further aft than the LaRue mount.  My setup uses the LaRue Compact ACOG Mount for the TA50-2 and while I find it acceptable, eye relief could be better if the optic was mount further aft.

I can't see how it can much further aft.  I just have clearance for the ARMS #40 that sits in the last slot.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't see how it can much further aft.  I just have clearance for the ARMS #40 that sits in the last slot.

First, the #19S has 4 mounting position.  Flip the mount around so the throw lever is on the right.  The last hole is further aft.

Second, the #19s has been desgined with a cut-out for the #40.  So part of the rear portion of the #19s sits above the #40, bringing it futher aft.

Unfortunitley the 3x24 Compact ACOG have the least amount of eye relief of the bunch.  Sometimes that 3-5mm can make a difference.  just ask any woman.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top