Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/21/2003 4:50:20 PM EDT
How far forward can you mount a Compact ACOG that will be used mostly for CQB?  Also, would the red dot or triangle be better for that application?  I know sorry to ask more ACOG questions.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#1]
GOOD QUESTION, never tried it.
Jack
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 2x compact that I can mount pretty far forward on a flat top, and still get a good sight picture. The eye relief is very generous on the 1.5 and 2x ACOG's. As far as reticle choices, the triangle does everything the dot can do, but still gives you a precise aiming point. If you don't mind me asking, if it's a CQB gun, then why go with the ACOG? And why do you want to mount it forward?

Steve.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I answered this when you asked in in the best general purpose optic thread.  It depends on the magnification.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry Devl I must have missed your reply on the other thread that is why I asked it again.  As for SMV, I am in law enforcement and just trying to decide between the aimpoint or the acog.  That is the reason I want to know how far you can mount it forward because with the aimpoint the further forward the better periphial vision (is that how you spell it?) you have.  And I may have to make a good 100 or so yard shot so the magnification of the acog would be better than the aimpoint in that situation.  I am not as educated on optics as devl or new arguy so if any of this is wrong or someone can explain the benefits of a greater field of view then jump in here.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I posted this in the General Purpose Optic post...

Oops, sorry man, but Dev hit it right on the nose. I think the triangle is the fastest of the Comp ACOG reticles. The cross hair will offer the easiest reticle to be accurate. I dont see much advantage to the dot at all? The triangle is both faster and easier to be accurate with than the dot.

I like the 2x ACOG best, and is the best compromise between the full size models and non-magnified dot optics. The 2x offers a modest level of magnification and eye relief. I feel like the 1.5x doesnt offer enough magnification to take advantage of all the benefits come with magnification. I feel like the 3x Comp ACOGs have just as short eye relief as the 4x ACOGs, I'll take the 4x and all the advantages the extra magnification, BDC reticle offer.

My prefference is also with the red reticle instead of the amber. Some people, including Trijicon themselves, will tell you the amber is brighter. The red seems brighter to me. Either way, red contrasts better with almost any environment you may look at while the amber will tend to blend in to many natural environments making it harder to pick up.

Having said all that, yeah I got the 2x Comp ACOG with the triangle. But I got the amber reticle. The red reticles seem to be a little harder to come by. I found a TA47-2 at a pretty darn good deal, so I got it even though I would rather have had the TA47-R2.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I think new-arguy pretty much told everything you would want to know about the compact ACOG's. Personally, I think you should go with the Aimpoint. It's better suited for close up CQB work, and you can still easily use it out to at least 100 yds. Don't get me wrong, the BAC ACOG's (compact or full size) do work well for CQB, but the Aimpoint is still faster. In the end, they are both high quality optics, either of which will meet your requirements. You just need to decide which will serve you better.

Steve.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Last thing you will want to know...

All Compact ACOGs are about .125" too low direct to flat top in a 19S but you can work around that.  The 3X may have the same eye relief as the 4X but the rear lens is further back in the 4X so you must get even CLOSER with the 3X if you use a BUIS (like the ARMS 40).  My nose goes over the charging handle, or rather around it as I have to use a weird head position to get lower with Compact ACOGs mounted to the flat top.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My prefference is also with the red reticle instead of the amber. Some people, including Trijicon themselves, will tell you the amber is brighter. The red seems brighter to me. Either way, red contrasts better with almost any environment you may look at while the amber will tend to blend in to many natural environments making it harder to pick up.
View Quote

I will have to agree with what new-arguy said in regards to the reticle color.  I'm pretty sure that I am partially color blind, as I have serious trouble seeing yellow and amber.  When presented against an earthy background, it becomes an exercise in futility trying to find my reticle.  Of course, 7% of the male population is partially color blind, so I don't feel so left out.

-Jim
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a TA44R-2 1.5x16 red triangle reticle mounted on one of my M4s.

I prefer the red reticle over the amber just because I see it better and also because when I'm in a darker area aiming toward a bright area I do not see the amber reticles at all.

I mounted my TA44R-2 on the upper receiver flat top rail with an ARMS 19S base , I do not find it to sit too low , that's fine for me .

I got it just for very close quarter engagements so I did not need any magnification , 1.5x is even too much in this case .

I needed a compact and lightweight sight without any battery needs , with a good field of view and a good eye relief , I found these specs in this Trijicon model .

PP out
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#10]
New-arguy...

What would you estimate the [i]real[/i] eye relief of a 2x Comp ACOG to be?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:37:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Maverick,
I find with an A1 stock that the 3x Compact ACOG will [i]just[/i] work when mounted in front of an ARMS #40 when using the TA60 mount.

This assumes you are using a nose to the charging handle cheek weld.

I find the 3x Compact ACOGS work best when mounted all the way to the rear.  It gives a better sight picture and allows your head a bit more leeway on position.

My 3x Comp ACOG now sits on my rifle - its all the way to the rear, with the ARMS #40 almost all the way to the front of the receiver (its turned around and mounted in slot #12). Works very well IMHO.

FYI - when I had the Compact ACOG on the carbine (with the shorter stock) it was comfortable to use with it mounted in front of the ARMS #40 (but with the shorter stock my nose crowds the charging handle).
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#12]
According to the [url]www.trijicon.com[/url],

All 1.5x16 Compact Acogs have: 2.4" Eye Relief (TA26-2/4/5, TA26R-2/4/5, TA44-2/4/5, TA44R-2/4/5)
All 1.5x24 Compact Acogs have: 3.6" Eye Relief (TA24-2/4/6, TA24R-2/4/6, TA45-2/4/6, TA45R-2/4/6)
All 2x20 Compact Acogs have: 2.1" Eye Relief (TA40-2/4/6, TA40R-2/4/6, TA47-2/4/6, TA47R-2/4/6)
All 3x24 Compact Acogs have: 1.4" Eye Relief (TA39-2/4/6, TA39R-2/4/6, TA50-2/4/6)
All 3.5x35 Acogs have: 2.4" Eye Relief (TA11, TA11B/C/D/E/F, TA11F-A)
All 4x32 Acogs have: 1.5" Eye Relief (TA01, TA01B/C, TAo1NSN, TA31, TA31A, TA31F)
All 5.5x50 Acogs have: 2.18" Eye Relief (TA55, TA55A)

Please also read the sticky thread entitled "Best General Purpose optic".  New-Arguy states there: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=139306&page=2[/url] that the eye relief on his TA-31 may be longer than 1.5", and that Trijicon's eye relief rating may be quite generous on their optics.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I had the 3x amber crosshair and liked it.  The eye relief was a little short.  If I get another, it will be a 2x triangle.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top