Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 10:17:56 PM EDT
How is the performance of Break free bore cleaner when removing copper deposits on non chrome lined barrel? Can it also be used and will it not be harmful in chrome lined bores? which removes copper better in AR barrels, BF Bore cleaner or HOPPES no. 9?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]
well, it's safe to use, but not very effective, as it's a lubricant also.
Hoppe's is better at removing copper, but they also make a copper solvent (nasty smell, high ammonia content, but it works).
personally, i use Shooters Choice.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:58:11 AM EDT
[#2]
opps from some reason i thought this was about CLP
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I just could not get past the smell.The fumes are pretty rough and the solvent is very hard on skin.It does not penetrate all that well in my opinion as it evaprorates almost immediately.
The BF bore cleaner does absolutely nothing for copper fouling.Its a powder solvent.
Id rather use Hoppe's #9 any day.
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I learned this "secret" from bench-rest shooters:

Shooter's Choice Copper Solvent mixed with equal parts of Kroil
work really well on barrels. Kroil is a very thin penetrating oil, gets under
powder and copper.

(Kroil on sale NOW at Midway.com)

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I just tried CLP for the first time last weekend.  It was the best thing I’ve ever seen as far as the Lower Receiver is concerned.  It never looked so clean before!
The one exception was the bolt.  I had to use steel wool to get the carbon buildup off the rear end of the bolt.  But then I did fire 500 rounds Saturday.

The Upper was altogether something different.  For cleaning the bore I went back to my Old Standby of Butches Bore Shine.  I have not seen anything better yet. CLP just didn’t clean it out properly.  And I used Butches to clean out the inside of the upper as well.  It just wouldn’t get the copper off.  To finish the Upper off, I used CLP on of cotton ball and wiped off the exteriors of the receivers, then wiped off the excess with a cloth.

So I just might get more CLP for doing the bottom.  But just the bottom.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top