Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 10:56:54 AM EDT
Colt's first AR-15 was the Model 01, a direct copy of the ArmaLite AR-15 that Colt's had purchased the rights to.  Just over 13,000 of these rifles were produced, and production ended in 1963.  8,500 were delivered to the Air Force, 1,000 were used in project AGILE in Vietnam, a few were purchased for use by US Navy SEALs, and the rest were used in various US Army tests, to foreign governments, and sold commercially.

The Model 01 with the 1/14 twist became legendary for creating particularity nasty wounds in Vietnam during project AGILE.

Anyhow, finally found one.  It had major rust and pitting on exposed areas, just got done parkerizing it yesterday.  The dark band is Norrell's, I had tapped the gas port shut before I blasted and parked it.  Took the tape off the port, then plugged it, and shot Norrell's around it.

The barrel is stamped with two W's, one under the FSB, the other just behind the handguard cap near TDC.  There is also a M stamped on the exposed part of the barrel between the legs of the FSB on the right side.  The barrel also has a witness mark at TDC, and the gas port hole is counter bored.  Bore is six groove, 1/14, and broach cut.  Barrel is turned down to a much smaller diameter then later barrels, such as used on the 602/603/604:

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#1]
That is sweet...what is it going into?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Indeed!!

Was the "nasty wound" reference was from the infamous tumbler?

First to find one still in one piece is amazing. To find it serviceable, is even more so.

Can't wait to see the re-creation you have in mind.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Will simply be updateing my old Model 01 project.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Was the "nasty wound" reference was from the infamous tumbler?

First to find one still in one piece is amazing. To find it serviceable, is even more so.

Can't wait to see the re-creation you have in mind.

Yes, the old tumbling legend.

Will post pics once I have it put together, waiting to get the upper receiver back from being anodized by Victor.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Good pics, and a nice find!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#6]
nice
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Would you be willing to shoot it at ballistic jellatin? It would be nice to know that the rumor isn't true, or that i should start buying 1/14 twist barrels for home defense...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#9]
That gas port looks HUGE.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I thought the same when first looking at it... Must be the counter bore making it looks so large...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#11]
nice

I like how you build old replicas.  Where do you find these parts?  Just different sources on the web and people you know?  I mean do you post WTB adds and someone actually offers this stuff for sale?  Or do people just not know what it is?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Look here Dace-

Retro Thread

There are some links in looking for retro parts..

At the Indy 1500 show this weekend there was a TON of retro parts, SP-1's, 2 mint Colt A1 lightweight carbines and A1's there.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Would you be willing to shoot it at ballistic jellatin? It would be nice to know that the rumor isn't true, or that i should start buying 1/14 twist barrels for home defense...

That would be fun, even though I think we both know that the results would be about the same as 1/12.

[

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the same when first looking at it... Must be the counter bore making it looks so large...

It is counter bored, too bad my macro function is a bad as it is.  You can see it in the last picture though.  There are lots of little details that ArmaLite had put into the AR-15 that Colt's later dropped to bring costs down.  Could do a whole thread on just that topic.

Quoted:
nice

I like how you build old replicas.  Where do you find these parts?  Just different sources on the web and people you know?  I mean do you post WTB adds and someone actually offers this stuff for sale?  Or do people just not know what it is?

Usually post want to trade for lists in my WTS posts.  When I find old parts listed for sale, also ask if they have anything else before closing the deal.  Also get lots of IM's and E-mails for people I don't know, just yesterday someone I don't know wrote asking what he should ask for his edgewater buffer.  Usually buy what ever I can find, that way if they come up with more they know who to go to in order to sell their stuff.

It is very rare that I get one of these parts on the cheap from a guy that don't know what it is.  But, the best example of this was I found an original surplus USGI Model 02 barreled upper for $225 on Gun Broker.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Got an upper receiver for it, just got it back from Victor, he anodized it for me:

www.usanodizing.com/

Put it together yesterday.

Notice the carry handle lacks a raised arrow like on the M16 or M16A1, and also lacks the engraved arrow like a Model 02.  The rear sight is incorrect, it is supposed to have an arrow on it, still looking for one of those.  Also note the early port door:

Left side, someone painted the handguard black.  Still looking for a decent set of handguards:

Notice that one end of the "leg" to the port door spring is missing:

The barrel is turned down infront of the FSB quite a bit more then latter models:

I need oversized tapper pins to get that FSB mounted solid, any one know where to get em?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Very cool!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Very, very cool Ekie!

Have you looked for the o/s pins at Brownell's? I thought I read somewhere they had them.

What's with the missing leg on the cover spring?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#17]
IM me an address, and I will send you a couple of oversize taper pins - unless you want to order a box of 100...

Lem
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Very, very cool Ekie!

Have you looked for the o/s pins at Brownell's? I thought I read somewhere they had them.

There use to be a hole drilled into the receiver for one leg of the the port door spring.  The Model 02 was the last rifle with this hole drilled.  Was dropped later on.

Quoted:
IM me an address, and I will send you a couple of oversize taper pins - unless you want to order a box of 100...

Lem

IM your way....
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks Great!!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyy links to info about the 1/14 tumble wounds early in Vietnam?  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:12:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Man, you find all the neat stuff.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:19:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I remember when somebody found this in their Airforce armory...

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:23:41 AM EDT
[#23]
very nice indeed
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Anyy links to info about the 1/14 tumble wounds early in Vietnam?  

Example 1. “On 160900 June, one platoon from the 340 Ranger company was on a ground operation . . . and contacted 3 armed VC in heavily forested jungle.. . . At a distance of approximately 15 meters, one Ranger fired an AR-15 full automatic hitting one VC with 3 rounds with the first burst. One round in the head took it completely off. Another in the right arm, took it completely off. One round hit him in the right side, causing a hole about 5 inches in diameter.. . . (Rangers)”

Example 2. “On 9 June a Ranger Platoon from the 40th Infantry Regt. Was given the mission of ambushing an estimated VC Company.. . .

Number of VC killed: 5 [Descriptions of the one-round killing wounds follow.]

Back wound, which caused the thoracic cavity to explode. Stomach wound, which caused the abdominal cavity to explode. Buttock wound, which destroyed all tissue of both buttocks. Chest wound from right to left; destroyed the thoracic cavity. Heel wound; the projectile entered the bottom of the right foot causing the leg to split from the foot to the hip.

These deaths were inflicted by the AR-15 and all were instantaneous except the buttock wound. He lived approximately five minutes. (7th Infantry Division)”

Example 3. “On 13 April, a Special Forces team made a raid on a small village. In the raid, seven VC were killed. Two were killed by AR-15 fire. Range was 50 meters. One man was hit in the head; it looked like it exploded. A second man was hit in the chest, his back was one big hole. (VN Special Forces)” [6.]

www.americanthinker.com/articles.php?article_id=3780
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:48:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I remember when somebody found this in their Airforce armory...

home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/misc/DCP_0064.jpg

home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/misc/DCP_0055.jpg

Do remember that one.  An Air Force guy shot these pictures just before this was destroyed last year:

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:52:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Damn, Ekie, another gem.....now we just need some VC.......

time for "AR-15 of Truth!"
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:02:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Note the profile of the buttstocks on the two Air Force rifles.  Both are the later style green painted brown fiberglass 01 buttstock, but are the more modern shape that was retained in the later black buttstocks used on the Model 02, and the M16 and XM16E1.  Compare to the buttstock on the clone rifle, it is the earlier patten, it is straight both top and bottom where it mates up with the back of the lower receiver.  

Malysh pointed this variation out to me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:13:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Tagged.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very, very cool Ekie!

There use to be a hole drilled into the receiver for one leg of the the port door spring.  The Model 02 was the last rifle with this hole drilled.  Was dropped later on.

Quoted:

Lem

IM your way....

Lem got the pins the other day.  The bigger set looks like the ticket, will only have to cut one end.  Once I get the current project (FAL) done and off the bench will do the pins.

Many thanks.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top