Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 1:29:08 PM EDT
I'm looking to put a Colt bolt and carrier in my next build, however, I don't know very much about the differant types. I tried searching for any specific information on this topic and was unsuccessful. Perhaps my search-fu is weak, so I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere.

My question is what are the primary differances between Colt bolts such as the full circle, etc. I know the question is very broad, but just some basic info on them would be very helpful. Also, are there any benefits to using a particular brand B/BC with the same brand upper or barrel? Thanks for the help.

Billy
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#1]
what does colt bcg offer that others dont?

go with a cmt bcg and save you some money, they offer mp tested bolts as well for a lot less than what i have seen used colt bolt groups go for.

dennysguns and gandrtactical offer m16 cmt mp tested bcg.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

go with a cmt bcg and save you some money, they offer mp tested bolts as well for a lot less than what i have seen used colt bolt groups go for.

Wrong,

Colt bolts are shot peened.  This is more important than MP testing.  MP testing does nothing physically to the bolt.

Scott
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Just to clarify, the reason I ask is because I have an LMT upper I want to use with a Noveske or some other type of mid length barrel, and I have a Colt barrel with no upper yet. So I didn't know if matching bolts to either the upper or barrel made any differance in reliability, performance, etc.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong,

Colt bolts are shot peened.  This is more important than MP testing.  MP testing does nothing physically to the bolt.

Scott

Does anyone shot peen their bolts besides Colt?

To the original question, there are Colt semi-circle, full-circle 'AR15', and M16 bolts.  The semi-circle seems to cause some wear on the buffer, but I don't think it's serious.  I had one in my Colt HBAR and it worked fine; never a hiccup.   Just me, I would prefer full-circle or M16.  Someone pointed out that the M16 (which the AR15 is a semi-auto version thereof) was designed with the M16 bolt.  It's tough to argue with that logic.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong,

Scott

Does anyone shot peen their bolts besides Colt?

I can't recall anyone else at the moment.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#6]
They all work exactly the same in an AR15.  The cuts (less than full circle) are Colt's attempt to make it harder to convert to full auto.  There is no benefit I know of in match bolts and/ or carriers with uppers and barrels (other than headspace) of course.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They all work exactly the same in an AR15.  The cuts (less than full circle) are Colt's attempt to make it harder to convert to full auto.  There is no benefit I know of in match bolts and/ or carriers with uppers and barrels (other than headspace) of course.

Its there to clear the sear block...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top