Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 1:12:18 PM EDT
I am sitting here next to my Colt Sporter Target Model with a GS serial#.  

The front pin on the lower is big, the back is small.  Right side of receiver is flat.

Rifle has collapsible stock, bayo lug, A2 flash hider, and 14.5" M4 profile barrel.  The upper receiver, barrel, and all parts are Colt marked.  

It also is wearing a scout c-more sight.  (Not that it matters)

What is this?  

I saw one on gunsamerica
http://www.gunsamerica.com/976885606/Guns/Rifles/Colt-Military-Tactical-Rifles/PRE_BAN_COLT_6550_6551_99_.htm

He wanted $4k ... I assume he's full of crap...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The one in your link claims in the description that the receiver is mis marked.  Do not use that posting as a reference for the value of your firearm.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
His add is the same as my rifle.  I'm almost positive that he's full of crap.  In fact, his serial number is VERY close to mine!

I am doing a lot of searching for info on this and info is scarce.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The front pin on the lower is big, the back is small.  Right side of receiver is flat.

Rifle has collapsible stock, bayo lug, A2 flash hider, and 14.5" M4 profile barrel.  The upper receiver, barrel, and all parts are Colt marked.  

What is this?  

I saw one on gunsamerica
http://www.gunsamerica.com/976885606/Guns/Rifles/Colt-Military-Tactical-Rifles/PRE_BAN_COLT_6550_6551_99_.htm

Thanks!

It's still  just an ar15 *&^%$#@! But some one will probably buy it so they can show there friends the serial #.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#4]
You say it's just an ar15...

Is it even technically an ar15?  It says Sporter but has an ar15 serial number.  I'm just trying to get more info on this rifle of mine.  I haven't seen any other preban (GS) 14.5" Sporter Target that's all.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#5]
$4,000.00

only if it comes witha date with Janine Turner.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to call Colt tomorrow.  Maybe they can give me a model number or something.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:50:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Colt Sporter Target are R6551 models and are usually 20" rifles with government profile barrels, no bayonet lugs.

I used to have one I bought in '90-'91 with large pivot pin, mag fence around mag release button and no sear block but with the usual ST prefix S/N.

There were two 6551 rifles that were reported in a past thread before:

GS 0099XX NO DETAILS

GS 010173 CM forge code, slab side lower, no sear block, small hammer/ trigger pins, marked COLT'S MFG CO. INC.

Ref: Colt Target Model 6551 Data Base II - Archive Thread link

Biggerhammer Colt Commercial Variants website link
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:04:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Every green label I've seen has a "SP" prefix as the serial number, sounds like a blue label, and that 14.5" barrel makes it a Short Barrel Rifle, a class 3 item
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:31:27 AM EDT
[#9]

GS 010173 CM forge code, slab side lower, no sear block, small hammer/ trigger pins, marked COLT'S MFG CO. INC.

That's the same as mine except my colt is a 14.5" M4 profile barrel with A2 upper and no m4 feedramps though.  Interesting.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That's the same as mine except my colt is a 14.5" M4 profile barrel with A2 upper and no m4 feedramps though.  Interesting.

Hmmm... From the 6551 data base II archive thread that I posted yours was made in 1990.

If I remember correctly, and fellow members please correct me if I'm wrong, there were no production M4 profile barrels was available from the factory at that time.

The only available carbines in '90 that I could remember was the R6520 Gov't Model carbine with collapsible stock and lightweight 16" barrels and the R6530 Sporter Lightweight with fixed short A2 style stocks (which I also had owned before).
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It also is wearing a scout c-more sight.  (Not that it matters)

What is this?  

I saw one on gunsamerica

Thanks!

Hey I'm not saying you can't get 4k , sell it and get three new colts for the same money !
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Hey I'm not saying you can't get 4k , sell it and get three new colts for the same money !

lol no way!  I wouldn't try and take advantage of people by advertising it as an error.  I'm not even planning on selling it.  (Unless someone offered me $4k!)  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm... From the 6551 data base II archive thread that I posted yours was made in 1990.

If I remember correctly, and fellow members please correct me if I'm wrong, there were no production M4 profile barrels was available from the factory at that time.

The only available carbines in '90 that I could remember was the R6520 Gov't Model carbine with collapsible stock and lightweight 16" barrels and the R6530 Sporter Lightweight with fixed short A2 style stocks (which I also had owned before).

That is what I recall as well... the M4 Kick came after that point!

My guess is that this is a parts gun and someone replaced the original barrel with a Colt M4 barrel.  I will bet if you call Colt, they will confirm that this left the plant with a 16-inch lightweight barrel.

I owned a 6530 and 6551 back in those days...  good guns but both of mine had sear blocks.  Remember that these are in the BLUE LABEL transitional period so there are all kinds of strange Colts from his period that have all kinds of mixed part combinations.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for that info.  Very interesting!  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is what I recall as well... the M4 Kick came after that point!

My guess is that this is a parts gun and someone replaced the original barrel with a Colt M4 barrel.  I will bet if you call Colt, they will confirm that this left the plant with a 16-inch lightweight barrel.

I owned a 6530 and 6551 back in those days...  good guns but both of mine had sear blocks.  Remember that these are in the BLUE LABEL transitional period so there are all kinds of strange Colts from his period that have all kinds of mixed part combinations.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top