Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 7:54:44 PM EDT
I have a Match Target that was made around 1991/92 and I am wondering what kind of CTR I need to buy. Is it mil or commercial. Thanks in advanced.

D
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Your gun was not made around 91/92 and it should have a rifle length stock on it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you are correct. I just checked with the original owner (who happens to own a pawn shop so it was in the computer) and it was shipped new to his store in the year 2000. When I bought it he had put a 4 position changeable stock on it. Is it not possible for me to put a CTR on it? If it is, commercial or military. It is a 16 inch Match Target Lightweight. Thanks...

D
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Per the tacked thread AR Discussions FAQ & General Information Resource (Read First), 4th Q&A from top:

Q: What is the difference between the Mil-Spec and the Commercial Receiver Extensions ('buffer tube')? Who uses what?

A: The commercial tubes are slightly larger in diameter where the stock slides, but slightly smaller in diameter when it screws into the receiver. Either can be installed on standard lowers, with the Mil-Spec one actually having the stronger interface (more surface area of the threads engage the receiver).

Mil-Spec = 1.148" outer diameter

Commercial = 1.168" outer diameter
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know how many times I have read that and some how I still had to ask. Obviously not enough, thanks for answering a stupid question that I should have known. It has to be all of this organic chemistry, it is frying my brain.

Thanks,
D
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#5]
There are two versions of the CTR, one for commercial and one for military diameter stock tubes.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There are two versions of the CTR, one for commercial and one for military diameter stock tubes.

Yes I realize this. I was just wandering if one is better to use with my Match Target lower or can they both be used. If I understand correctly either can be used. Thanks for the help.

D
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I realize this. I was just wandering if one is better to use with my Match Target lower or can they both be used. If I understand correctly either can be used. Thanks for the help.

D

It depends what diameter your stock tube is.  A military CTR will not fit on a commercial tube.  A commercial tube is too big.  

A commercial CTR will fit very sloppy on a military tube.

You need to decide what diameter your stock tube is first.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top