Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2005 6:07:52 AM EDT
I recently took possession of a Colt Law Enforcement Carbine in trade for my IMI UZI 9mm carbine.  This weapon is NIB/unfired.  I thought I did a pretty good deal since I traded even.  I noticed on several of the auction sites that the Colt LE weapons are for sale at (to me at least) too high a price with few buyers.  Is this the case?  Are there people really paying $1300 to $2100 for these things?

I ask because I want a nice flat top carbine to set up for three gun matches and use as a patrol carbine on the job.  The Colt looks like a real good candidate but I am leery of taking it out of its NIB condition when a used Bushmaster would make me happy with money left over for extras.

I also would prefer a mil spec standard takedown pin on the front.  My Colt seems to have a military sized screw pin similar in operation to the early commercial AR 15's I had years ago.

Any comments appreciated.  :)
Link Posted: 3/24/2005 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Lots here won't even pay $1300 for one.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2005 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I feel better taking this out and using it if I know its value is not that much more than a NIB Bushmaster in the same configuration.  I just hate shooting the thing if it would greatly reduce the value.  I rarely get NIB guns and prefer those with "character".  :)
Link Posted: 3/24/2005 6:35:47 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a lightly used 6920 at a local shop here for $975.  I have no idea if that's average or not.
Link Posted: 3/24/2005 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I hate to admit it but the Colt that I have (16 in barrel with removable carrying handle) I bought in CA before the ban there.  Bought it in 1998 if I remember correctly.  I paid about $1300 with tax.  

I wish I had bought a rifle in MO instead because I could have gotten the same rifle for somewhere around $1000.  A month after I bought the rifle, they were going for $1600 in CA but still only $1000 in MO.  I should have just sold it and made a profit!!

I'm not a rifle collector so I don't know if you should keep it new in the box for value but I would say no.  Take it out and shoot it.  

Colt makes great rifles but they certainly aren't any better than Bushmaster or Rock River Arms.  When I bought my second AR it was a RRA.
Link Posted: 3/24/2005 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#5]
A friend of mine paid 1500.00 for a 6920. You can get them at clyde Arm. for 1300.00. He did not want to wait. I was on a list for a 6920 but found a 6920HB on EE so I did not have to wait and took that one home . It was $1900.00NIB.Specialized Armament was selling them for $2500.00. I say all of that becouse you said you saw a 6920 for $2100.00 that must have been a 6920HB. The highest price on a 6920 I have seen was at impact Guns $1999.00.
Link Posted: 3/24/2005 8:16:16 AM EDT
[#6]
forget the couple of bucks and the hassle of trading, swapping, selling, shipping, transferring, and........

Use the Colt for the 3-gun

It is the best option, and will provide a lifetime of enjoyment
Link Posted: 3/24/2005 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I have found out mine is an older version of the LE Carbine. Under 2000 serial number and with the older style collapsable butt stock, not the current issue M4 stock. It also does not have the "STANAG" markings on the flat top. After I pick up the Aimpoint I plan to go to the sheriffs office range tomorrow and take her virginity away.  

I too can not abide having a "Safe Queen" in the house. I wanted a good AR for three gun matches, occasional patrol duty with the part time job and something "around the house" during the next round of hurricane season. This Colt will do the job well and the worst case scenario is it will no longer be "NIB/Unfired". It will still be a Colt.
Link Posted: 3/24/2005 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well I have found out mine is an older version of the LE Carbine. Under 2000 serial number and with the older style collapsable butt stock, not the current issue M4 stock. It also does not have the "STANAG" markings on the flat top. After I pick up the Aimpoint I plan to go to the sheriffs office range tomorrow and take her virginity away.  

I too can not abide having a "Safe Queen" in the house. I wanted a good AR for three gun matches, occasional patrol duty with the part time job and something "around the house" during the next round of hurricane season. This Colt will do the job well and the worst case scenario is it will no longer be "NIB/Unfired". It will still be a Colt.

Ahhh, the age explains your front takedown screw.

Current Colts come from the factory with a standard front "milspec" pushpin:

Link Posted: 3/24/2005 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Just a refresher...she shoots fine.  I zeroed her on a 25 yard range with some surplus military M4 25 meter/300 meter Zero targets with the generic 55 grain ball load.  She sits ready to play in the closet with a pair of new 30 round magazines.  200 rounds down range and I am a happy camper.  Next up I plan to try her in a 3-gun match at the outdoor range.  Never did get the Aimpoint I was promised so the iron sights will do fine for the time being.  Something else on the "lay-away" list to work on. :)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top