Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 6:52:08 AM EDT
http://magn.phys.msu.su/~vlad/cr6724.htm

I got some good advice in the plusses and minuses of going with this particular rifle as my first AR, but am still drawn to it.  What's your overall opinion?

There's a 200 yard cool indoor range in my area, and thought this would be a fun shooter.  Hoping to mess with some Coyotes during the winter - sounds like this would have good accuracy for that purpose.

I'd also like to know what your first choice for a another upper would be - and if this makes sense as a base for building a collection of AR stuff.  Also, what accessories would you add first?

Its been offered as a trade for a rifle I'm selling, so maybe you can give me an idea what the value of a lightly used stock model would be.

Thanks in advance,

Q
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:28:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
http://magn.phys.msu.su/~vlad/cr6724.htm

I got some good advice in the plusses and minuses of going with this particular rifle as my first AR, but am still drawn to it.  What's your overall opinion?

There's a 200 yard cool indoor range in my area, and thought this would be a fun shooter.  Hoping to mess with some Coyotes during the winter - sounds like this would have good accuracy for that purpose.

I'd also like to know what your first choice for a another upper would be - and if this makes sense as a base for building a collection of AR stuff.  Also, what accessories would you add first?

Its been offered as a trade for a rifle I'm selling, so maybe you can give me an idea what the value of a lightly used stock model would be.

Thanks in advance,

Q
View Quote

Sorry can"t get link to work, I'll try again, however you have a 200yrd INDOOR RANGE!!---WOW!----How much to shoot?  [coffee]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Q

Sorry can"t get link to work, I'll try again, however you have a 200yrd INDOOR RANGE!!---WOW!----How much to shoot?  [coffee]
View Quote

Well, the link works for me - but is a little slow.

The range is very cool.  You go down to a basement room that is the range station.  They have laid 4' concrete pipe underground in two different directions and have 4 stations (two 50 a 100 and the 200 yarder).  You see the targets via video camera on a monitor right next to you on the two longer ranges.  Slick.

When I was there last week the owner was telling a customer that its the only indoor 200 yard range in the US.  Its a great concept.

You can see a picture here, and its $7 max to shoot.  All my rifles do a 50/100/200 tour for sight in, and I can generally get it done in less than an hour if its not busy.  See the range here:

http://www.duncansoutdoor.com/riflerange.html
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Q

View Quote

The range is very cool.  You go down to a basement room that is the range station.  They have laid 4' concrete pipe underground in two different directions and have 4 stations (two 50 a 100 and the 200 yarder).  You see the targets via video camera on a monitor right next to you on the two longer ranges.  Slick.

When I was there last week the owner was telling a customer that its the only indoor 200 yard range in the US.  Its a great concept.

You can see a picture here, and its $7 max to shoot.  All my rifles do a 50/100/200 tour for sight in, and I can generally get it done in less than an hour if its not busy.  See the range here:

View Quote

WOW, Thats some crazy range!  The rifle looks to be a good target style Colt, however I prefer the combat style MT6601 20" Colt no comp.  Is the sound level LOUD at your range?-------
I'm sure others here can give you much more help, and btw Welcome!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

WOW, Thats some crazy range!  The rifle looks to be a good target style Colt, however I prefer the combat style MT6601 20" Colt no comp.  Is the sound level LOUD at your range?-------
View Quote

Thanks for the welcome.  I've been around lurking for quite some time.

The comments I've heard are that most prefer the 16" or 20" models without the heavy barrel.  Hey, if I get the "wrong" one, I can always get more - right?  ;-)

That range is a ton of fun - but can be a little loud.  You can see the 100 yard tube right behind the video monitor - heck, maybe its bigger than 4'.  Great heating and ventilation make for a very comfy day at the range - even in January.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the welcome.  I've been around lurking for quite some time.

The comments I've heard are that most prefer the 16" or 20" models without the heavy barrel.  Hey, if I get the "wrong" one, I can always get more - right?  ;-)

That range is a ton of fun - but can be a little loud.  You can see the 100 yard tube right behind the video monitor - heck, maybe its bigger than 4'.  Great heating and ventilation make for a very comfy day at the range - even in January.
View Quote

Cool, can you use the video cam to spot?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:22:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Cool, can you use the video cam to spot?

View Quote

That's the whole idea, but the cam is in a fixed position down at the end of the tube by the target (out of the way).  Its automated and 'rolls' fresh targets into the view of the camera.  They use dry erase markers to mark the video screens with the shots you've already made so they don't have to change the target too often.

Getting the range approved by the Michigan DEQ was a big hurdle, and this setup seemed to make the clean air issues easier to conquer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#7]
WOW! that range has been the since the 60's. My Dad used to work at Gen Motors and I remember a story about a M1 carbine he bought at Duncans.
             FREE

Quoted:
Quoted:
Q

View Quote

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the insight guys - we'll see what happens.

Q
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top