Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2007 3:20:57 PM EDT
Since this is the place that I can find a solid reply, a preban sporter II Hvy barrel 1/7 chrome lined, with less than 200 rounds through it and very nice condition.  You guy's think it's worth $900?  Your help is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say its a average price, I bought my post ban + 11 30rd mags from a guy asking $950(ended up getting it for $400 + some work on his car)
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Its worth it.When I bought mine in 93 I paid $650+tax.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#3]
You are asking about the single most variable Colt model ever made...  

Is the lower a slab side or later raised A2 style?
Is it large or small pivot pin?
Does it have small or large trigger pins?
Does it have a sear block?
A2 upper receiver?
Bayonet lug?
Is it an original and completely original gun?

The prices sounds good but with the right combination of features this gun could be really special or something that could frustrate you in the future.

If you don't own an AR15 yet, personally, I would want a Mil-Spec lower over one of these but that is to allow any current or future accessories for the AR-15 without needing funky adaptors, chopping out blocks or adding sleaves to fix gunky pin sizes.

Now, if you really want a Colt, well then you already have your own answer as Colts are unlike all others as only Colt screwed with their guns so much and you are asking about the most screwed with of all screwed with!  This is what is refered to as the "transition model colts" because of all the changes.

Some were really great because they got close to being like a Bushmaster, RRA, DPMS, Eagle Arms, Armalite, etc...  But none are 100% standard parts unless you find one of the ultra rare white label guns but those I expect are in personal collections and have been so for a LONG time now!

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You are asking about the single most variable Colt model ever made...  

Is the lower a slab side or later raised A2 style?
Is it large or small pivot pin?
Does it have small or large trigger pins?
Does it have a sear block?
A2 upper receiver?
Bayonet lug?
Is it an original and completely original gun?

The prices sounds good but with the right combination of features this gun could be really special or something that could frustrate you in the future.

If you don't own an AR15 yet, personally, I would want a Mil-Spec lower over one of these but that is to allow any current or future accessories for the AR-15 without needing funky adaptors, chopping out blocks or adding sleaves to fix gunky pin sizes.

Good Luck!

+1

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Colts are unlike all others as only Colt screwed with their guns so much and you are asking about the most screwed with of all screwed with!

Being "Mil Spec" is a bitch, kinda like a moving target, LOL.

Good Luck and don't fall too in love with it as it is a....well you fill in the blank.
Bill

I own Colts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:23:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quarterbore, first thanks for an in depth drilling, that's what I was looking for in as much as an opinion.  I currently own an Armalite A3 carbine with 1913 handguard, Aimpoint and Magpul stock so it is not my first, but new in general to the game.
The Colt is a complete original gun from what I am told I have not seen it yet, with an A2 upper receiver.  A collector had bought this gun supposedly new in 1991 and never shot it.  The new owner picked it up a couple of years ago and for what ever reason is selling his off is collection of hand guns ect.. to build a collection of 1911's.  
I am guessing the best combination of features would not have the sear block, have small pins for best compatibilty and I am guessing the raised sides with Bayonet lug.  Won't know till Sunday when I can actually lay my eyes on it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:34:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quarterbore, first thanks for an in depth drilling, that's what I was looking for in as much as an opinion.  I currently own an Armalite A3 carbine with 1913 handguard, Aimpoint and Magpul stock so it is not my first, but new in general to the game.
The Colt is a complete original gun from what I am told I have not seen it yet, with an A2 upper receiver.  A collector had bought this gun supposedly new in 1991 and never shot it.  The new owner picked it up a couple of years ago and for what ever reason is selling his off is collection of hand guns ect.. to build a collection of 1911's.  
I am guessing the best combination of features would not have the sear block, have small pins for best compatibilty and I am guessing the raised sides with Bayonet lug.  Won't know till Sunday when I can actually lay my eyes on it.

NIB, the gun is worth $900 regardless of features.  I am not sure what I would say is the most valued combination as the sear block really isn't a problem but the large pivot pin is a real PITA if you wish to swap uppers now or in the future.  Trigger pin size is also not too big of an issue as if it is large pin your can use a Colt trigger, Accuracy Speaks used to make a large pin Single Stage, and Jewell makes a large pin 2-stage.

As for the baronet lug, I am sensitive to that as I collect bayonets but I never shoot with one mounted so it really is not a show stopper either...

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:49:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NIB, the gun is worth $900 regardless of features.  I am not sure what I would say is the most valued combination as the sear block really isn't a problem but the large pivot pin is a real PITA if you wish to swap uppers now or in the future.  Trigger pin size is also not too big of an issue as if it is large pin your can use a Colt trigger, Accuracy Speaks used to make a large pin Single Stage, and Jewell makes a large pin 2-stage.

As for the baroney lug, I am sensitive to that as I collect bayonets but I never shoot with one mounted so it really is not a show stopper either...

Good Luck!

The most valuable combination that Colt offered would be:

Single sided sear block pinned with small pin
Magazine well fence
Lower drilled for a front pushpin
Large hammer/trigger pin
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top