Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2013 10:52:46 PM EDT
I just bought a Colt Sporter that came with, what I thought were 20 round mags, turns out they are blocked to 5 rounds.
They are Colt mags.

Can these mags be modified to work as a 20 round mag?
And if so, how?

Thanks,
Leon
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:01:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just bought a Colt Sporter that came with, what I thought were 20 round mags, turns out they are blocked to 5 rounds.
They are Colt mags.

And if so, how?

Thanks,
Leon

Yes, they can be modified as they are regular 20 round mil-spec magazines. There's a rivet on the floor plate that needs to be removed (small, slow drill bit works) - after the rivet is removed, simply slide off the floor plate, remove the magazine limiter and reassemble. Bingo, you now have a functioning standard 20 round magazine.

Now the caveat - DO NOT DO THIS...the mags are highly desirable as hunting magazines and are also considered standard 5 round magazines in most states w/high-cap mag restrictions and are worth $$$$.

Don't fuck w/the mags...sell them and buy regular mags w/the proceeds.

my $0.02

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are Colt mags.

And if so, how?

Thanks,
Leon

Yes, they can be modified as they are regular 20 round mil-spec magazines. There's a rivet on the floor plate that needs to be removed (small, slow drill bit works) - after the rivet is removed, simply slide off the floor plate, remove the magazine limiter and reassemble. Bingo, you now have a functioning standard 20 round magazine.

Now the caveat - DO NOT DO THIS...the mags are highly desirable as hunting magazines and are also considered standard 5 round magazines in most states w/high-cap mag restrictions and are worth $$$$.

my $0.02

OK, thank you for this great advice.
If this was to be done, not saying it will be, would the spring be the same in this mag as a factory 20 round mag?

Leon

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are Colt mags.

And if so, how?

Thanks,
Leon

my $0.02

If this was to be done, not saying it will be, would the spring be the same in this mag as a factory 20 round mag?

Leon

10-4 everything is identical w/the exception of the limiter installed in the mag. I actually have 2 factory 20/5 round mags that came w/my 6551 Colt Sporter that I will not sell...I've had multiple offers but, I'm keeping them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are Colt mags.

And if so, how?

Thanks,
Leon

my $0.02

Leon

10-4 everything is identical w/the exception of the limiter installed in the mag. I actually have 2 factory 20/5 round mags that came w/my 6551 Colt Sporter that I will not sell...I've had multiple offers but, I'm keeping them.

I never realized that these 5 rounders would ever be of that much interest.
Thanks for the education.

Leon
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 4:43:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I never realized that these 5 rounders would ever be of that much interest.

Thanks for the education.

Leon

Me neither, I've modified some Colt 5 round mags in the past

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#6]
My Colt 5 round mag had a big U-shaped spacer inside . I removed it , I don't remember it being riveted.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#7]
These are the spacers used.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Wow this thread came at the right time.

I was about to de-rivet many
5 round magazines this weekend.

Thanks for the enlightenment guys.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#9]
My 5 round Colt is 5 round size...
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are Colt mags.

And if so, how?

Thanks,
Leon

my $0.02

This, sell to our friends in NY.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#12]
My Colt AR-15 SP1's that I bought in 1968 and 1970 came with 20-round magazines that were blocked to 5 rounds, but the spacers were not riveted. (The riveting came later.) Somewhere I have a box with about a dozen of the spacers. (As I recall, the Armalite AR-180's came with the same spacers.)
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 3 Mint Colt AR15 Factory 5 rounders, don't need them anymore.
Thinkin' about putting them up for sale.
Was gonna trade them to someone in NY, but my thread got locked.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top