Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 2:48:46 PM EDT
Newb question: I have a new Stag 6-position stock. The small "handle" (for lack of a better term) that you squeeze to release the mechanism so that you can adjust the stock forwards or backwards is very, very loose and rattles around. There is a long screw on a spring that goes up through it into the stock. Can this screw be used to tighten the "handle" down or is it supposed to be loose? Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Newb question: I have a new Stag 6-position stock. The small "handle" (for lack of a better term) that you squeeze to release the mechanism so that you can adjust the stock forwards or backwards is very, very loose and rattles around. There is a long screw on a spring that goes up through it into the stock. Can this screw be used to tighten the "handle" down or is it supposed to be loose? Thanks!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=262838

Same problem I take it?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Justin! That's it, alright.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I'm not sure how you go about adjusting it.  It looks like there's a retainer pin you could punch out, then try tightening the latch pin, then putting the retainer pin back in.  Not sure if that would work, and I did not attempt this.

I ended up sending the stock back for another.

However, I got to thinking that maybe the holes in my buffer tube weren't deep enough, and the latch pin wasn't going in all the way, leaving a thin gap causing the loose play.

If I take the buffer tube out of the stock, then the latch pin goes in all the way, then there's no play.

Does that make sense what I'm trying to say?  Me not teknekly proffishent.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, it makes sense. I don't have another stock to compare mine to but a buddy of mine has one. I'll check mine against his and then decide whether to try to tighten it or return it. Thanks, again.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Just my 2cents. With all the talk about Stag stocks I went to my local gun show a while back to buy a Stag stock thinking "tight fit and no rattles". I found  the person who had them and I could hardly wait to handle one.I noticed that excessive play in the latch,and asked the seller about it and asked if he had another one, as I watched he looked thru the other Stags he had and told me they were all like that.I was bummed and didn't purchase. I am still looking though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:33:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info, Anyshorty. That answers that part of the question for me. I guess I'll just see how much it bothers me over time. I can always replace it with another from a different manufacturer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got my replacement stock from my dealer, and put it on the original tube, and it still has the loose play.

If there are any others on here having a similar problem, could you please post?

I suspect the problem might be the holes in the tube might be about 1/8 of an inch too shallow, which is not allowing the latch pin to go in all the way.  The latch pin should be holding the latch firmly in place with no play.

When the tube is taken out of the stock, the latch pin is able to retract all the way, leaving no play in the latch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top