Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 12:46:51 AM EDT
Why co-witness?  To line the dot, reticle, or triangle with the front site?  Very curious as to why all this attention is being paid to it.

TS
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 2:46:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Believe the best reason is to have your irons centered in the viewing area of the red-dot or triangle scope. This way one maximizes the view ya get of the irons should the scope battery fail.

I also find that if I place the red-dot atop the front post, (looking over the rear BUIS) I am assured of a consistent cheek weld and it's like added insurance my POA will be my POI. Much like an accomplished bow-hunter strives for consistency by drawing and holding to the same point each and every time, same principle.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:14:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I maintain my Aimpoints batteries, however, I believe in Murphy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:24:42 AM EDT
[#3]
[i]This is my reply to the same question from this thread in the [b]Optics[/b] forum.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=157407[/url][/i]

Do I need a mount that clears the field of vision through the optic?  In plain english when I look through the damn thing do I want to be able to see the front sight post or not?  Is seeing the front sight post through the optic what they refer to as co witnessing?
View Quote

First, remember that you use your irons OR your optic, NOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME.  To do so would defeat the simplicity of using an Aimpoint-type of sight.

Having your Aimpoint and iron sights [b]co-witnessed[/b], allows you to use your iron sights THROUGH your INOPERATIVE optic.

It would be great to have a clear field of view for your optic sight, nothing but "glass".

But whether you can do this depends on how you answer the following question:  [b]"how fast do I need to access my iron sights in the event my optic sight fails"[/b]?

If you have a need to [i]instantly[/i] aim your weapon in the event your optic sight fails, then having your optic and iron sights co-witnessed is essential.  

The trade-off for this capability is having your front sight in your optic field of view when you're using your optic sight.  You will be looking over your rear sight aperture so at least that won't be in the way.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid59/p2c737bfd262fd05a083e0f206f757178/fc5d0546.jpg[/img]

[i]NOTE:  It was difficult for me to take this picture, and it doesn't depict what I want it to as well as I'd wanted it to.  What I didn't do is focus the camera on the dot, which would've blurred the front sight.[/i]

THE FRONT SIGHT WILL NOT BE THIS CLEAR in actual use.  As you focus on the TARGET, the front sight will "ghost" out to a large degree.

That's the tradeoff that you'll deal with, and not a bad tradeoff at all for the instant sighting capability.  

Notice again that the rear sight aperture is out of the way.

This is the reason for using "spacers", to raise the height of the optic sight.  We try and raise the sight high enough so that we can minimize the obstruction of the front sight assembly in the optic's field of view when we are using the optic as our primary aiming system.

We want to get the front sight assembly as low in the optic's field of view as we can, while still having it visible enough to get a good sight picture, if we have to go to irons.

Also, what would be the next step if something happened to the optic and it no longer funcioned how do I use the iron sights?  
View Quote

Okay, the optic FAILS and the optic aiming point DISAPPEARS.  You simply lower your cheekweld SLIGHTLY to look through the rear sight aperture and line up your irons THROUGH the inoperative optic sight, as if the optic sight ISN'T THERE.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid59/pb43e619a439df4195f30f842c37fbfcc/fc5d0549.jpg[/img]

Chris
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:33:39 AM EDT
[#4]
About this specific part of your post:

Quoted:
.... To line the dot, reticle, or triangle with the front site?  Very curious as to why all this attention is being paid to it.

TS
View Quote

It's a [i]phenomenon[/i] (that's the best word I can think of right now) that when your iron sights and Aimpoint is zeroed for the same distance, THE AIMPOINT IS TURNED ON, and you're sighting THROUGH YOUR IRONS, that the dot will be resting on the tip of the front sight post.

This is because the dot in the Aimpoint "floats".  Regardless of where it's located in the field-of-view, that's where the bullet's going to hit.

To describe this phenomenon in NO WAY implies the use of irons and the Aimpoint together.  

[i]It's just an interesting fact that's good for boresighting or quickly confirming the zero of the Aimpoint in the field, AND THAT'S IT![/i]

So .... you are NOT going to use both TOGETHER when firing your weapon.  That would defeat the purpose of the optic sight.

Either your optic is your primary sight, or your irons are, [b]with your optic either TURNED OFF or inoperative[/b].

Chris
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, that's what I thought.  I guess I won the bet.  So you [b][red]do not have to cowitness when firing on a target[/b][/red].  That's what made sense to me.  If you had to cowitness to use an Aimpoint or EOTech, quick target acquisition (the benefit of said sights) would be lost and irons would work as well.

TS
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top