Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:04:34 PM EDT
How useful is an ACOG at close ranges (i.e., 50yd or less?) Are they usable? The only scoped firearm I currently have is my 10/22 and I think it'd be very difficult to see anything that close on it without fiddling with the scope first.

The reason I ask is because I'm looking into getting an ACOG for my 20'' AR, but the ones with the attached "dr. optic" CQB sights on top are a little outside of my price range. If the ACOG is perfectly usable at closer ranges without it, then I won't bother with it.

The Trijicon website explains this "bindon aiming concept" thing, but since I've never seen an ACOG in person, I've never experienced it first-hand.

Any info appreciated!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:54:35 AM EDT
[#1]
The ACOG, is a great scope, but the 4x can sometimes mess with you up close.
I love my TA31F's, but inside of 25 yards it was a little difficult to quickly acquire targets.
The best thing I can tell you is keep both eyes open and practice.
Eventually it gets faster, but an EOtech or Aimpoint will still be quicker up close.
50 isn't that bad, its within 25 that's difficult, but practice makes it a lot easier.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:19:27 AM EDT
[#2]
They are great all around optics. The 4X is not so much you can't make quick close up shots and it helps at a distance. The chevron reticle also helps because as long as the target is in or close to that triangle up close they are on target. If you are worried about targets up close or want a BUS and can't afford the Docter, Trijicon makes a cheaper version and they also have ACOGs with crude BUSs on top. I never had a problem with target aquisition. They aren't finicky about where your eye is like regular scopes and aim very naturally.
Dustin
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a TA01NSN with the tritium post and rear aperture mounted on top for CQB.  Ive never used them and consider removing them.  I figure if your shooting paper at 25 meters use your sight as normal.  If the situation comes up and you need to fire rapidly at that range under less than ideal circumstances then just look over the top of the sight as you move and engage.  Sighting down the axis of the barrel would be quicker and at close ranges probably more practical and almost as accurate.  But that would be the extreme scenario I suppose.

Bringing my ACOG on paper and shooting at 25 and 50 was much like starting a 3-9x on any other rifle.  Good thing about the ACOG is the field of view is pretty generous.  I have one on my 16 inch and one on my 20 inch.  Both TA01NSN models.  Once dialed in at 100 yards I have found the range reticles to be pretty reliable up to 300 yards when hitting an 8 inch circle, when shooting 55 grain ammo there is a slight difference but the amount is negligable considering your target would fill the crosshair at any realistic engagement range making a nuetralizing or suppresion shot almost certain.

I would also recommend the Larue quick release mount when you can get around to it.  By no means a necessity but in my opinion provides a much better/secure and user friendly mounting platform.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget, not all ACOGs are 4x magnification.  I have one of the 1.5x models and I like it a lot.  It is almost as fast as a red dot, but provides a little extra help at the 150-200 yard ranges.  Plus, it has great eye relief.  Much more forgiving than the 4x models, which I have also owned.

They also make 2x and 3x models.  You might try to find a nice compromise.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I would purchase one without the crazy dr optic on top.  You could always ad it later if you wanted.  I have the 3x compact and it is an excellent optic, I wouldn't even think about putting some wierd optic on top of it.  If I ever had a need to use the thing at close range for self defense I see no problem at all with using the both eyes open technique.  With practice I would think you could use it just as fast as the eotech or anything else on man sized targets at close range.  Maybe an eotech would be faster if you were shooting a rabbit or something at 25 yards, but usually rabbits are not that dangerous.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top