Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 5:26:37 PM EDT
More rookie questions...

Bolt - the exterior surface of the firing pin channel, where it slopes to the gas rings, is that normally kind of a rough surface?  or is that carbon build up?  If the latter, what's a good way to clean it?

Upper assy gas tube exterior - is it normal to get a little build up there?  If not, what's the best way to get it off?

Bolt Carrier Key - the Maryland website shows cleaning the interior with a worn brush.  I know about the drying it, pipe cleaner, etc and have seen those threads.  Do you guys clean the inside with a worn brush?  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#1]
it's probably carbon & build-up. it'll happen after even one time of shooting. it's easier to coat it in some kind of solvent ( i use hoppe's 9, there's lots of types ) & let it sit for a few minutes, maybe while you're cleaning something else, then scrape it with something. I use an old brass pin punch, works pretty well, or a tiny flathead screwdriver. make sure the rest of the bolt is clean of course, including inside.

i haven't seen the outside of the gas tube get carbon buildup before, just a little discoloration. normally for me a little CLP rub ( with a q-tip ) will get any gunk off, but i read somewhere (sorry i can't remember) that you shouldn't try to scrape off the discoloration. the fitting is really close, it might have to do with the slight bulge near the tip & not damaging it. cleaning the inside of the key is necessary though, where the gas tube hits the carrier, & can be done with a q-tip & cleaner.

keep up your maintenance pretty regularly (i'd suggest after every shooting) & it'll be easier. it'll also keep you from having any kind of malfunction or problems for a long time. always have a good supply of CLP & a better cleaner, like the hoppe's 9. happy shooting
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top