Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2003 9:20:43 AM EDT
I want to make sure I take care of my Bushy Varminter correctly, before I regret using something that will inhibit it's accuracy or anything like that.(it's my first AR if you couldn't tell)

First, I know most really advise 1 piece cleaning rods, but I currently have a Saf-T-Clad Kleenbore 5 section rod.  Is this alright to use??  Am I taking a great risk?  I feel stupid asking this because all I've ever used in the past is a 3 piece hoppes aluminum rod, now I'm worried if a sectioned coated rod is bad.

Second, I know I asked this before, but now I'm curious again.  I know a lot of people use CLP for ALL their lubrication ( bolts, carriers, heavy moving parts, barrels etc)  But then I see lubes like TW 25 and Tetra Grease that are higher viscosity.  Wouldn't something a little "heavier" be best for some of the heavy moving parts, and then CLP for just rust prevention and lubrication of the barrel, exterior, magazine ect?  I guess I just think of it in terms of cars.  The engine uses low viscosity oil, while your suspension parts use heavy grease.  I know there is more of an issue with dirt collection in firearms, but where do you draw the line?  What are people using to lube the heavier parts?  Lighter parts?

Thanks,
Gundraw
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't used the Kleen Bore but it looks like a good cleaning rod.

I use CLP on almost everything, the exception is the trigger/sear and the slots in the takedown pin and hinge pin that the detent pin slides in, I use a lubricating grease on those.

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m not acquainted with the rod you mention (I learn something new here every day!!).

While I certainly don’t think it’s going to ruin your rifle, here are a couple of things to consider:

A sectioned rod is weaker than a one piece one and will flex more (thus rubbing against the bore).

Abrasive fouling will collect in the joints between the sections.

Also, I suspect the coating in the vicinity of the joints will wear pretty quickly (just a guess, though).

IMHO, a one piece rod is better.

As far as lub goes, in the past I’ve used a small amount of grease in high pressure points without problems.  However, I’ve found that things seem to work just as well with plain old CLP.

Also keep in mind that if you use two different brands of lube (say TW-25 grease and FP-10 CLP), you may encounter some incompatibility between those lubes.

Note that in your car example, the engine oil and the suspension grease don’t come into contact with each other.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top