Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2012 8:49:28 PM EDT
Just to clarify: is a 14.5" 5.56 long enough to effectively utilize a 1-6x24 optic? What about 12" or 10.5"? At what point am I wasting my money? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion it would depend on the barrel and what you're doing with it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In my opinion it would depend on the barrel and what you're doing with it.

Small game and other moving targets. Barrel would have precision (as opposed to high round count) in mind.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:27:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I take it  your interest is in a walk all day but still surgically precise varmint rifle.

We used to whack rock chucks at 250 with a 4x scoped Savage in .223.  I think a 1-6x would make hitting rock chucks at 300 yards do-able while still allowing you to pop ground squirrels at 25 feet if you do your part.

To keep your velocities up and your trajectory flatter I would go with the longest barrel practical that fits withing your rifle size and weight goal.
You probably already know that when done right fluting the barrel saves weight without giving up much stiffness.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:40:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top