Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2003 6:06:26 AM EDT
How well do these work guys? I've tried searching for some posts but didn't find any. It seems like a heck of a deal to spend $175 and shoot all day. By the way it would be for a new Bushmaster.

Thanks
Todd
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#1]
It will "work" ok but since the twist rate is too fast (though the subsonic rounds might work)and the bore is too big there will be diminished accuracy.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#2]
maximaking,
The conversions work very well but sometimes the individual parts need to be polished a little to smooth it out.  

Rocketman223 is right about the barrel twist, and also the lead bullets really lead up the barrel which throws off the accuracy for the full power 5.56mm loads.  

The best setup is to get a dedicated upper such as the ones make by Rick Kuehl, and use the conversion in that.  They have the proper 1:16" twist, are very accurate and they are made of quality components.  

I really like mine a lot.

Mario
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my ceiner.  It was totally reliable out of the box.  I have it in a 1 in 14 carbine upper that I use only for rimfire.  I liked it so much I bought the upper its own lower.  I generally get 1" groups at 50 yards with Remington thunderbolt or 1 1/2" with remington Golen bullet in the bult pack.  I do however clean the unit about every 500 rounds or so.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:13:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I use mine in a 1x9 twist barrel. I love it, no malfunctions. After Im done shooting the .22s I run a few .223s through to blow any crud outta the gas tube.

If you look you can find them cheaper. I hear brownells has the kits for like 105 bux.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#5]
ive had the bolt not close all the way and when it went off it blew outt he side of the case, jammed the case in the kit, and the bullet stopped half way downt he barrel.  Gotta be carefull because it dont have any disconnector to keep it from fireing with the bolt open.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Another route to enhance accuracy is have a .220 Barrel liner installed w/1 in 16 twist.  Creates a "dedicated" upper with the conversion kit and could be less expensive than other routes if you can find an inexpensive upper and Ceiner kit. Costs about $105 for a 20" barrel for work done by American Manufacturing.  I have one there now, I'll post range results when I get it back.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#7]
ff24gordn,
I had a weak recoil/charging spring in mine as well.  

I replaced it with a spring out of a Lakeside Arms Mfg. / Tippman M2 .22mag Browning.  Eric at Lakeside was really helpful and the spring was $3 bucks.

Now even with fully loaded mags it runs like a top.

Mario
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#8]
ff24gordn,
I had a weak recoil/charging spring in mine as well.  It would make chambering the first few rounds erratic.  

I replaced it with a spring out of a Lakeside Arms Mfg. / Tippman M2 .22mag Browning.  Eric at Lakeside was really helpful and the spring was $3 bucks.  

Now even with fully loaded mags it runs like a top.  The cycle rate is only slightly higher.

Mario
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one for my Bushmaster 1/9 twist 20 inch barrel. Lots of fun. Point of impact is different for .22lr than for .223. I use a Leepers 4X20 scope when I am shooting .22lr. So I dont have to mess with my .223 zero on the iron sight. I shoot alot of winchester .22lr T. its a 40 grain standard volocity shoot pretty accurate about as good as I am. I can hit a 2 inch swinging target and 33 yards sitting consistantly. They are alot of fun. I wish someone would make a .22 magnum conversion.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:15:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't remember which but CMMG or MSTN has a prototype of the .22mag and .17HMR in development as we speak.  Or so I was told a month or two ago in a different thread.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:41:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Todd,
A better choice woult be the M-261 conversion from Sarco for about $155. This is the Army's unit and consisits of the conversion bolt/false chamber and two magazine adaptors. This will work as well as any other conversion, but the advantage here is that when, and if, you decide to go for the CLE dedicated upper, it will use your M-261 and save you that cost.
Regards, Ray
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#12]
These work great with the right ammo. Mine prefers Federal and Remington jacketed rounds. I believe I got mine at Brownells for a little over $100.. check them out first..

Link Posted: 10/11/2003 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#13]
DOes anyone have expierence with sub sonic loads with their conversion kit?  I like the Aguila SSS 60gr subsonic .22lr. It has a ton of recoil with (i think) no powder, just a primer for propulsion.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I shoot a lot of CCI Standard Velocity and CCI Subsonic through my M16.  Function/reliability is excellent.  

Dan

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I shot Agila SSS in my Ciener kit.  My kit runs 100% with the Golden bullets.  It ran about 80% with the Agilas.  If you are shooting with a suppressor it would be worth the hastle for hunting, but not otherwise.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top