Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2003 5:32:43 PM EDT
Is Butch's Bore Shine OK for this and the bolt or is it too strong with ammonia for the chrome lined barrel, etc?
If not Butch's, then which to use for copper fouling every thousand rounds or so.
Thanks.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Butch's Bore Shine will not harm chrome as far as I know. But, IMHO, the chrome lined parts don't need to be cleaned with expensive solvents. CLP should work just fine. In the bore, if you want something a little stronger than CLP, Hoppes #9 works great. Then after a while, some Sweets 7.62 copper remover will take out all the copper. I guess it depends on how clean you want your guns and your budget. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I use Sweet's every few range trips.  You shouldn't leave it in there longer than about 15 minutes, but it does a great job of getting the copper out of there.  Chrome lined bores do clean out a lot faster than unlined bores.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#3]
 Though I love good copper removers I tend to get sidetracked when cleaning guns and have from time to time left this stuff in bores for up to a half of an hour before removing it.  All of my guns still shoot wonderfully but I have been a bit nervous that I am really pushing my luck as a lot of guys who are really in the know on the chemistry of ammonia based copper removers say it is a rather risky practice to leave it in for a long time.

Based on that I have switched to Butch's Bore Shine and i have to say it works pretty darn well...excellent, in fact.  I am not used to my solvents coming out with the mostly black tint ( excepting my Army time using break free clp )I prefer to see the pretty cobalt blue color on my patches but my AR180 was just as squeaky clean with Butch's as it would have been with Sweets or Shooter's Choice.....think I'll stay with Butch's...and a clear conscience.  By the way...Butch's Patches are SWEET!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top