Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2011 8:55:41 AM EDT
Hey all,

I am going to build an MA TEN I am curious since there are no chrome BCG's out there.......

Anyone have any first hand insight/experience on using a DPMS Chrome BCG vs Phosphate BCG and reliability?? Do you NEED a chrome one??

What about the POF  roller Cam ??   It works? ...not needed?....Gimmick?

Thanks!

T
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#1]

It is my understanding that the lubricity of the chrome BCG is better due to the larger surface area of the 308 BCG. Once Rainer gets more instock, I will be ordering a DPMS chrome BCG headspaced to one of their Ultra Match barrels for my Ma-Ten build.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Go chrome....have both and the chrome cleans up so much easier.  My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I have heard the lubrication issue before.  And I would buy one too if available....soon.  But what is the word on the wait?

I do also agree that the Chrome cleans up way easier too.  

I just just wondering if once the rifle had a100 rounds through it if the phosphate BCG would "break in"?   Or
if working the action a few hundred times might work.  I just want it to function and be reliable.....

T
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I am waiting on the chrome bcg's too.  I have my whole rifle built I am just waiting on the chrome bcgs
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am waiting on the chrome bcg's too.  I have my whole rifle built I am just waiting on the chrome bcgs

I asked Rainer and have not seen any updates. Link to Rainers Industry Forum

I think several people are waiting on these to finish builds.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#6]
go chrome: http://www.fulton-armory.com/boltcarriertitanstripped.aspx

I have 2 of these... they're slick and clean up easy...
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 2 DPMS chrome BCG's. not necessary, but very nice to have (clean up) and there is no detriment to having one.
chome is smoother then the phos, so all things being equal, a phos BCG might start jaming up sooner then a chrome one.

however, the system WILL work reliably with the std phos BCG.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have 2 DPMS chrome BCG's. not necessary, but very nice to have (clean up) and there is no detriment to having one.
chome is smoother then the phos, so all things being equal, a phos BCG might start jaming up sooner then a chrome one.

however, the system WILL work reliably with the std phos BCG.

Thanks for the info!  But is the system that much more finicky in .308?  I mean I have just
kept adding Slip EWL to a 5.56 standard BCG for over 2000 rounds and it just kept running.....

But this is my first .308 AR......  

T

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#9]
nope, same system, just bigger

if its well put together, all it needs it lube
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Something else you might consider.  Both will work, but are you doing something with the rifle that a reflective BCG would be non-beneficial?
DBillings
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I appreciate all the input.  Nobody has mentioned it yet....but is there anything to this POF roller cam?   Needed?  Gimmick?  

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1899

Link Posted: 12/5/2011 4:30:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I appreciate all the input.  Nobody has mentioned it yet....but is there anything to this POF roller cam?   Needed?  Gimmick?  

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1899

Not needed in my opinion. A chrome BCG should be good to go.

Rainers has the chrome BCG on order but no ETA.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 5:04:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Aren't there some newer coatings for the BCG that are better than hard chrome?  Definitely go with chrome as a base line, then look for something better.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 5:46:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I do not see any need at all for the roller cam pin. gimmick in my book.

and yes, there are some other coatings that are supposed to be better then chrome.
think that NP3 is supposed to be so slick it dosnt even need lube!  havnt been following how its been doing tho.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 6:16:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey thanks for the help guys!  I think for $30 more bucks I am gunna wait for the chrome too.

T
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been waiting for a month I went ahead and oredered from fulton armory
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have been waiting for a month I went ahead and oredered from fulton armory

I did not see DPMS chrome BCG's at Fulton............

T

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Is Fulton Armory the only chrome BCG out there right now? I can't seem to find a chrome DPMS anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:19:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Look at Bravo Company. They are also industry members ghere.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top