Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/24/2008 2:18:42 PM EDT
I tried the search option but I must not know what I'm doing..

Anyway, I have a RRA Entry Tactical that I bought 2 years ago... It has a Moly barrel on it.. I constantly read that the chrome lined is the way to go for a long lasting rifle.. Should I consider upgrading the barrel or use this as a reason to buy another AR with a chrome lined barrel already?

I don't really shoot it much but I don't want problems down the road when the zombies come...
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#1]
There is obviously a difference. It is up to you, since you already bought the rifle with that barrel if you want a new one or not. If you are looking for an excuse, go for it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're not a high-volume shooter and you don't expose your gun to lots of inclement weather, chrome-lining isn't essential. Having said that, all my 5.56 AR's are chrome-lined.

If you like the existing upper, keep it, and get another that's chrome-lined. If not, trade it off.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#3]
All barrels are at the least, chrome moly.  Well, there could be some cheaper .22 LR with carbon steel and of course, most muzzle loaders.  

And all chrome lined are chrome moly steels at the bare minimum.  Chrome lining does increase bore life but it is unlikeley you will wear a chrome moly out with normal use.

You should get at least 5000 rounds of practical life out of a non-chrome lined chrome moly barrel.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you sure it's not a barrel using Chrome-Moly Vanadium steel that is chrome lined? Chrome-Moly typically refers to the barrel steel if I'm not mistaken. It can still be chrome lined.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#5]
No need for chrome lining. You are perfectly fine with what you have..It does have some SMALL benefits, but that's it. They provide easier cleaning, a LITTLE more barrel life, and corrosion resistance. It might sound like a huge deal, but its not, especially for what you said you do with it.

Having said that, it is the perfect exuse to go buy a chrome lined upper...
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#6]
You answered your own question in your OP, when you said "I don't really shoot it much."

If you don't really shoot it much, you don't "need" chrome lining.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:45:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You answered your own question in your OP, when you said "I don't really shoot it much."

If you don't really shoot it much, you don't "need" chrome lining.

Chrome is more slippery than chrome moly steel,helps feeding ,extraction reliability.
Also chrome is resistant to rust, in case shooter uses cheap ammo,doesn't clean up properly.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A

You should get at least 5000 rounds of practical life out of a non-chrome lined chrome moly barrel.

thats it?!?!?!   you could rack that up in a couple carbine courses
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Not having a chrome lined barrel is tragic!  Tell your wife you need to go down right now a place an order for another AR15/M4 with a chrome-lined barrel so you can protect her properly in case of an emergency. After all, you are only thinking of her safety and well-being.  

Oh yeah, and you'll need three dozen Pmags, a sling, red dot, tac light, and 5K rounds of 5.56 to go with it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#10]
The M1, BAR, 1919 MG all had non-lined barrels, and they turned out alright. You'll be fine.

That said, get chrome next time. They last longer and clean easier.

-Dan
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Colt that I have owned since 1984.  It is one of the first generation civilian AR's.  It has over 10K rounds through it and it still is one hell of a rifle.  RE comes standard with a chrome molly barrel so unless you specified otherwise and paid extra, you don't have a chrome lined barrel.

Your barrel will last just fine.  Don't sweat it and have fun.  This at least gives you an excuse to look at a new weapon.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A

A lot of us here who owns an AR don't have chrome lined barrels, still these ARs give very good accuracy with more than 10-15k rounds thru it. Not to mention occasional full-auto firing.

Link Posted: 12/25/2008 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Anyway, I have a RRA Entry Tactical that I bought 2 years ago... It has a Moly barrel on it.. I constantly read that the chrome lined is the way to go for a long lasting rifle.. Should I consider upgrading the barrel or use this as a reason to buy another AR with a chrome lined barrel already?

I don't really shoot it much but I don't want problems down the road when the zombies come...

Shoot it and then shoot some more. If and when you're groups start looking like a Mini 14's you can always stick on another tube - CL M4 from Bravo. 'Bout the time you shoot out your present barrel hopefully they have them back in stock.

Link Posted: 12/25/2008 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you dont shoot much dont worry about it!
RRA makes good barrels
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you dont shoot much dont worry about it!
RRA makes good barrels

+1...if it's RRA don't worry about it.  Keep it clean and the round life should go WELL into the 5 digit range before a new barrel becomes something to look at.

Link Posted: 12/25/2008 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#16]
my69Camaro1,
   My first choice is alwayd stainless with a bead blasted finsih, next would be chromemoly, and last is chrome lined. I clean my rifles, so chrome lining means nothing to me except incresed bore diameter variables. The one chrome lined barrel I own is specifically dedicated to blasting ammo on combat style courses. I would never subject my match grade barrels to that kind of abuse. It defeats there purpose. For what it's worth.

borderpatrol
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, I bought it at a gun show NIB before I really knew anything about AR's so Chrome anything wasn't in my mind.. haha...

It's been great so far as long as I keep Wolf out of it's diet..

Guess I won't worry about it.. Thanks Guys...
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A

That sounds about right, i was gonna say, at this rate ill need a new barrel for a 2-3 year old gun.

A lot of us here who owns an AR don't have chrome lined barrels, still these ARs give very good accuracy with more than 10-15k rounds thru it. Not to mention occasional full-auto firing.

Link Posted: 12/25/2008 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Just keep it oiled when in storage between your occasional shooting trips. This will prevent rust from forming that will pit the bore, and make the chamber rough.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top