Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2003 8:46:45 AM EDT
Thinking of changing the carrier in my Colt M4gery to a chrome one.
I know the old saying, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I think the chrome carrier would look awesome.
Anybody go chrome?
Would I have problems with the new carrier and my old bolt? I say "old bolt" but the whole rifle has only had about 800 rounds through it.
Does Colt make a chrome carrier? I guess as long as it's mil-spec it shouldn't matter right?
800 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#2]
You are right, it is merely a cosmetic touch, but it does have a very high "cool" factor. But, how much do you want to spend for "cool".
I would think that a chrome carrier would last much longer than a regular one.

I thought I read somewhere that spec op guys where using chrome carriers and bolts.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both Chromed and NON-Chromed carriers and I can tell you this:

1. The Chromed carriers clean faster (noticeably faster)

2. I like them more

3. (spend the extra $ on a good brand like Smith or  Les Baer [stay away from no-name manufacturers] IF the chrome is not done right it can flake off and there are some companies that offer a purely cosmetic plating that will flake off in short order.  I got one of those bolt carriers with an upper I bought and I threw it out it was flaking off like paint.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Of course Colt BC groups are very good.  What are the price diffs. between the Les Baer chromed and a Colt non chromed?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#6]
GreenO
Do you have the chromed carrier and bolt or just the carrier itself?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I actually have a Chrome Smith carrier and I got the cheaper Les BAer bolt and cam pin for it. I switched to a DPMS Chrome extractor which is mil-spec and holds the std spring and blue buffer.  Yeah it's all chrome.

I have 2 non-chromed carriers 1 DPMS and 1 no-name mil-spec and I can't really tell the difference between DPMS and the no-name mil-spec.

The Les Baer Carrier is different than most it is marketed as improved and it probably is but I don't like the improved parts (the LEs BAER extractor is an example it is modified to take a heavier spring and no longer holds the spring captive so I got rid of mine- field strip it in the field and you will probably end up with a lost extractor spring.

I fired my rifle and didn't clean it for a week and the BC/B just wiped clean with a paper towel and FP10.  If I fire a STD BC/B and immediately break it down I will have to use the firing pin to scrape carbon off the bolt and have a lot more trouble cleaning the rest of the parts. (really I'm lazy and thats the #1 reason for me liking the Chrome carrier.)
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:If you DO decide to go with a chrome carrier, the ONLY one I would consider is the one MSTN sells.  But, personally, I wouldn't spend that much money on a cosmetic item...

-Troy
View Quote

Which chrome carrier does MSTN sell?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I checked out Smith's web site and their chrome carrier/bolt are pretty expensive. I didn't see any on MSTN's site. Les Baer's is a little more reasonable, but I don't want to have to start making changes to it right away. I'll have to check out DPMS and see what they have.

You see them all the time on EBAY, but I think I'll pass on that crap.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#10]
If I get a chromed carrier would it be better to get a bolt from the same manufacturer?

Also, do I need to worry about headspace issues with a new bolt?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Smith Enterprises chrome NM bolt/carrier combo.  It is fantastic.  It shows no wear after 2000 rounds and it cleans up VERY easily.  

Don't be scared off by alleged flaking of the carrier.  Get a high quality carrier (like smith) and you will not experience any difficulty.  (Anyhow, flaking is pretty obvious and easy to see: e.g.-shiny chrome flakes in a black upper.  IF, and I mean IF, it were to happen, you could return your carrier to smith for a free replacement).

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Even the cheapo carrier I had with the flaking jewelry plate or whatever it was didn't cause any damage to the upper.  You can easilly tell because the metal is not even close to the color of chrome.

It's hard to explain but it is very easy to see.

And it won't happen with a decent carrier made by anyone with a name like Smith or Les Baer.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I use Les Baer NM carriers and Colt MPC bolts. Not one problem with flaking off the carrier and if it does I'm sure Baer will replace it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Almost all my rifles have chrome carriers.  Young, Baer, and Smith are the best.  They look cool and clean easily.  You can mix and match other manufacturers bolts (chrome and non-chrome) into these carriers with no problems.  I have never seen any "flaking chrome" with mine.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have both Chromed and NON-Chromed carriers and I can tell you this:

1. The Chromed carriers clean faster (noticeably faster)

2. I like them more

3. (spend the extra $ on a good brand like Smith or  Les Baer [stay away from no-name manufacturers] IF the chrome is not done right it can flake off and there are some companies that offer a purely cosmetic plating that will flake off in short order.  I got one of those bolt carriers with an upper I bought and I threw it out it was flaking off like paint.
View Quote

Send it to[url]www.trippresearch.com[/url] quickly as he's changing bisiness focus to 1911 Mags
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Would DPMS chrome carriers qualify as quality products? They are probably manufactured by someone else though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Want a chrome bolt, go to Wes at MSTN for the new LMT bolt/carrier combo, it is about 300 dollars, but that unit is the sh*t.  Lots of modification for the SOPMOD 2 in case you are into that kind of stuff.

Link Posted: 7/10/2003 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Really appreciate all the input. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:26:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Would DPMS chrome carriers qualify as quality products? They are probably manufactured by someone else though.
View Quote

Aquired a DPMS chrome carrier a few months ago, as part of a project to build up an early M16 clone. A few more tool marks than on my Colt carriers, but perfectly functional, with the imprtant dimentions right.

Generally speaking, I'm not a big fan of chrome, except on the inner surfaces where all carriers have them, but the DPMS unit is perfectly usable if you want chrome at a price that isn't highway robbery[:D]
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Dont worry about the carrier, get a chrome bolt to match a chrome bore.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 12:24:59 AM EDT
[#21]
But, how much do you want to spend for "cool".
View Quote

Is this really the question to be asking ARF guys?

J
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top