Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#1]
BTW who makes a good looking standard A2 stock?, I'm looking for a new one.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 12:13:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Matt_B] [#2]
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textBody><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Originally Posted By rifleduck:
BTW who makes a good looking standard A2 stock?, I'm looking for a new one.
Thanks

Your question is off-topic for this thread but I'll answer it quickly. You can get A2 stocks from any manufacturer or retailer that sells AR parts. Check the Equipment Exchangce here as well. These stocks are very easy to come by and all look the same.

BTW, as a general note, I would sincerely appreciate it everyone keep their posts in this thread on topic so when people read this through this thread looking for information, they don't have to wade through irrelevant posts and pics (e.g. motorcycles)
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 2:15:00 AM EDT
[#3]
any one know when the ban on collapsibles is gonna be up if ever?
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 2:44:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By scotchrick05:
any one know when the ban on collapsibles is gonna be up if ever?

First, welcome to the boards. Second, please read the post preceding yours and please abide by it. Third, collapsible stocks are not banned persay but they are illegal to put on rifles made after 09/13/94.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the pics Richard.

I've gotta tell you the more I use my magpul the more I love the thing!  

Any chance of some of us colorado types getting a tour of the magpul set up?

Any free samples after the tour?  

Link Posted: 6/29/2004 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Richard, thank you for contributing to the thread. Your input on this subject is highly valued.

BTW, I received my sling mounts and test followers today. I should be able to get at least one of the mounts installed before this weekend's shoot as well as all of the followers. I'll let you know how everything works out.
Link Posted: 7/1/2004 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm actually giving serious consideration to picking up a Duostock...

I know it looks weird, but I've shot a few standard CAR stocks and have never been very comfortable. This thing seems like it has a lot of potential. They say they are working on a few variations that might be interesting as well.

Has anyone here tried it?
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw someone with a Duostock at a carbine class, and handled it a bit.

Look at the elbows-down stance of the picture at the bottom of the main Duostock page.  The duostock is definitely a cut above for such a stance, and IMHO seems to be a little better for EVERY standing position (even with your shoulder back it has pluses).  It's a tad wider than the "sttandard" collap[sible stock.

It is simply DIVINE for going from a low-ready to shooting.

The site advertises it as a CQB solution - it says the curve helps with armor; but it helps without as well.

I did not handle it prone; but the owner seemed to consider prone to be a bit of a shortcomong when he was performing prone exercises.

Any stock can work in any situation; but it appears that this one shifts the bias slightly away from prone shooting to standing shooting.

As for workmanship, it appeared to be very strong - I'd imagine you'd break the gun before you could hurt this stock.

I am strongly considering this stock from what I saw.  I'm not expert; but it's likely got an edge for any gunhandling and shooting activity performed while standing up.

Link Posted: 7/4/2004 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's the thread that actually brought the Duostock to my attention. Lot of hard hits in there...
Link Posted: 7/5/2004 6:42:08 AM EDT
[#12]
matt B....  i'm curious to what the weights of the standard a1, a2 and the cav. arms a1 stocks weight too... can you add it just for a comparison to what fixed stocks weights are...

oh... the stubby stock too...
Link Posted: 7/5/2004 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By jar3ds:
matt B....  i'm curious to what the weights of the standard a1, a2 and the cav. arms a1 stocks weight too... can you add it just for a comparison to what fixed stocks weights are...

oh... the stubby stock too...

An A1 stock weighs in at right around 16 oz. so I would guess that an A2 is around 17.5-19 oz. If someone has an A2 stock lying around the would weigh (be sure to include the butt plate and spacer), I'll add the info to the main post.

I'll add the other info when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 7/5/2004 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By Battler:
I saw someone with a Duostock at a carbine class, and handled it a bit.

I did not handle it prone; but the owner seemed to consider prone to be a bit of a shortcomong when he was performing prone exercises.

I would have figured in the prone it would function no different than any other CAR stock... and maybe a little better, so that's a surprise to me.

It does seem to be aimed more at standing/CQB applications though and I am only assuming here but people who do a lot of CQB rarely shoot from the prone... anyone care to fill this in with a fact? I'm no CQB ninja so the only experience I speak from is Rainbow Six room clearing.

I'd certainly like to give it a try though. I wrote Duostock a letter with an attached picture of an idea fo a "retractable" or "stowable" version based on the Ace ARFX. They appreciated the feedback and are offering 25% off a Duostock if I am interested. I'm thinking about it, even though i am dying to get an Ace Ltd M4 SOCOM.
Link Posted: 7/6/2004 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Wonderfully informative thread.

Thanks Matt_B.
Link Posted: 7/6/2004 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I prefer the VLTOR Carbine Collapsible stock......also the A1 Length rifle stock.....they offer some neat choices, no one would have ever offered an A1 length stock before........
Link Posted: 7/6/2004 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Can someone please try to breech a door with their ACE M4 stock?  Pls post results.  HEHEHE

Link Posted: 7/6/2004 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#18]
What is the perk of an A1 length stock?

and once again the VLTOR comes up. I'd rip on it but I'm just too tired so I'll simply leave it with "to each his own"...
Link Posted: 7/7/2004 12:27:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By SPR-Mk12-Mod0:
I prefer the VLTOR Carbine Collapsible stock......also the A1 Length rifle stock.....they offer some neat choices, no one would have ever offered an A1 length stock before........

Originally Posted By SPR-Mk12-Mod0:
Can someone please try to breech a door with their ACE M4 stock?  Pls post results.  HEHEHE

Please keep your posts constructive in nature. The purpose of this thread is to assist people in making an informed buying decision when choosing a collapsible stock. I did not start this thread so you would have a place to post your inane drivel.
Link Posted: 7/7/2004 12:29:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
What is the perk of an A1 length stock?"

Some folks like the A1 because it's 5/8" shorter than an A2 and they want a fixed stock simplicity and rigidity. The general opinion is that the A2 is too long for most people.
Link Posted: 7/7/2004 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By Matt_B:

Some folks like the A1 because it's 5/8" shorter than an A2 and they want a fixed stock simplicity and rigidity. The general opinion is that the A2 is too long for most people.

I didn't realize 5/8" made such a difference. Interesting... thanks for that little tidbit.
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 3:12:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#23]

I didn't realize 5/8" made such a difference. Interesting... thanks for that little tidbit.

I've never actually shot a rifle with an A1 stock but when I had a rifle with an A2 stock, I found it too long (I'm 6'). When shooting my Aimpoint AR standing up, I keep my M-93A at postition 4 (I'll have to check to see what the LOP is at this setting) and when shooting my ACOG AR, I keep it at position 6. A lot of folks like to shoot nose-to-charging handle and the A1 stock makes this possible. I guess you don't really know what LOP works best for you until you can play around with different lengths. An A2 stock may work for you but a shorter LOP may work even better.
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#24]

I've never actually shot a rifle with an A1 stock but when I had a rifle with an A2 stock, I found it too long (I'm 6'). When shooting my Aimpoint AR standing up, I keep my M-93A at postition 4 (I'll have to check to see what the LOP is at this setting) and when shooting my ACOG AR, I keep it at position 6. A lot of folks like to shoot nose-to-charging handle and the A1 stock makes this possible. I guess you don't really know what LOP works best for you until you can play around with different lengths. An A2 stock may work for you but a shorter LOP may work even better.

Makes sense... Have you seen the adjustable buttplate stocks from Fulton

I don't know if anyone else makes them, but it sounds like something that would be good for people who have major concerns about LOP...
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes, I looked at those before I got pre-bans. I s/w Forest (from Maryland AR15 Shooters site) since he had seen them in person. They look cool but I wanted something a bit more rugged and easily adjustable. I 100% agree with your comment though. Spot on.
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Matt-

What if one was looking for a more standard look  but with better workmanship/materials than a standard M-4 stock? Any info on other choices ?-the mag-pul and crane are a bit too 'space-agey' for my tastes.

hippie.gif
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 1:17:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Magpul] [#27]
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By Magpul:

What if one was looking for a more standard look but with better workmanship/materials than a standard M-4 stock? Any info on other choices ?-the mag-pul and crane are a bit too 'space-agey' for my tastes.

In this case I would look at the Cav Arms ribbed stock. It looks like the standard Colt/RRA stock but is built better/more solid.

Once again... an industry rep impresses me by helping rather than trying to pitch/defend their own product. I look forward to contributing to Mag Pul down the road... kudos
Link Posted: 7/10/2004 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I know this is a dumb question but I'm new

I just got a bushmaster carbine.  I removed the stock to see how it was put together and it has a long receiver extension.  

I plan on getting a another stock in Sept, like an ACE SOCOM.  I am assuming the SOCOM would replace the long extension, but what about the long spring?  Is there a shorter one I need?  Would the SOCOM come with everything I need?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/11/2004 3:55:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes, there are standard (rifle) and carbine buffer springs.  There are two types of buffers as well.
Link Posted: 7/11/2004 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By M4-guy:
Yes, there are standard (rifle) and carbine buffer springs.  There are two types of buffers as well.

Right... just about anywhere you go sells regular and carbine (shorty) springs and buffers. I'm not sure if the Ace Ltd. M4 SOCOM comes with the extension tube. I want to say it does because I think that it's somewhat reinforced compared to a regular one...

Link Posted: 7/12/2004 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had nothing but good luck with the Rock River, Tactical collapsible stocks (M4 style)
Link Posted: 7/14/2004 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#33]
I like the ACE M4 SOCUM ,it come with everything or need to buy the buffer and spring and which one the standard or carbine. I have a Rock River M4 . I like too the Rock River Tac. collapsible Stock M4 style 6 position,it come with everything or need something else. For the 2 which one is the best.Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 3:50:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Snaps] [#34]
great, now i want one of those crane stocks.... Damn I hate spending money

EDIT: check that, i just saw the price of those
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 10:36:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4-newbie] [#35]
I see a couple of Magpul M93s in the EE, and I really like the look of the Magpuls.

What are the basic differences between the M93 and the M93A?
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By M4-newbie:
I see a couple of Magpul M93s in the EE, and I really like the look of the Magpuls.

What's the basic differences between the M93 and the M93A?

Cheekweld was the biggest improvement IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 9:58:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4-newbie] [#37]
So the changes were primarily to the proprietary buffer tube, rather than the stock assembly?
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok Rich...You got the grips on the stove, let's get that butt-pad cooked up too, please....... :)
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#40]
here are my contributions to this thread,
cheers,
MM

Link Posted: 7/18/2004 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Dave Lauck at D&L Sports has designed a new tubular stock that looks pretty hot. He's also working on a telescoping version.  I've got two .45 pistols by him, and he's building me an AR now as well. Great workmanship on everything I've seen of his.
D&L Sports
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 12:56:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VaughnT] [#42]
First, a big thank you to all for this very informative thread.  Being new to this platform and currently planning my first build, this thread could not have come at a better time.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the MagPul 93A, but the Vltor is still a possibility.  That the Magpul people are coming in here to help out with the discussion says a lot about them and their product.

This is going to be very fun. PS->  What's the importance/need of the "clubfoot" stock feature?  Is it better than a standard M4 sloping stock?  Does that makes sense?
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By VaughnT:
PS->  What's the importance/need of the "clubfoot" stock feature?

When shooting prone or bench, the clubfoot allows you to use your off-hand to pull the stock into your shoulder.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a Magpul question.

You know the shooting position where one puts the stock a bit higher, almost on the collar bone, and feet more square to the target (almost "isoceles" for rifles).

I've only tried this with a postban/larger stocks, and my face ends up closer to the back of the stock.  Yet the Magpul's cheek weld is toward the front.

When adopting such a stance, how well does the Magpul work?  I'm about to order the Magpul, just want to know if it's bad for this, or as good as the other options (that have the "Cheekpiece" at the back instead of front.

FWIW I'm 6"5 standing up straight.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#45]
In looking for a collapsible stock(original style) with better materials/workmanship I have found one that is made by Tony's in the Brownell's catalog. It is a standard M-4 style but made of aluminum.

I have tried to look up specs and info on the maker -but cant seem to find anything .

Does anyone own one ,or know anything about Tony's?

It may be just what Im looking for.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#46]

You know the shooting position where one puts the stock a bit higher, almost on the collar bone, and feet more square to the target (almost "isoceles" for rifles).
I've only tried this with a postban/larger stocks, and my face ends up closer to the back of the stock.  Yet the Magpul's cheek weld is toward the front.
When adopting such a stance, how well does the Magpul work?  I'm about to order the Magpul, just want to know if it's bad for this, or as good as the other options (that have the "Cheekpiece" at the back instead of front.

Read this
It's not a magpul but the problem you describe is address by this stock, more or less.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Read this
It's not a magpul but the problem you describe is address by this stock, more or less.

Yeah, I've posted on the duo, I guess I was wondering if the Magpul could be used in the same way.

(I saw a duo at a class).

Link Posted: 7/26/2004 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Sorry guys, not trying to hijack this thread, but...  What are the legalities of using a collapsable stock, with regards to length? In other words, with the stock fully collapsed, will my carbine still be of legal length? I forget what the minimums are.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#50]
By Federal law, on a rifle, the barrel MUST be at least 16 inches in length, measured from the closed breech face to the muzzle (NOT including any removable muzzle device).

Overall length by Federal law must be at least 26 inches. Any of the commercial collapsable stocks will meet that minimum with room to spare. Minimum will be somewhere around 30 inches or so, collapsed.

NOTE: at least one state has a different overall minimum length that is longer than 26 inches. I believe it's Michigan, but not certain. There may be others.

Lonny
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top