Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2003 6:48:41 AM EDT
Wholesale Guns & Ammo has Century International Arms lowers for $88.95 each w/free shipping if you order two or more.  I picked up two and they look like nice lowers for the money.  The upper that I got in my kit from Model 1 Sales fit nice and tight into the lower with very little gap between the two.  
 The only problem I did run into was with the Orlite mags and the ridge on the mag.  It would let the mag seat far enough into the well to lock.  The simple fix was to get some parts for my Dremel and mill off the ridge, now they work fine.   Just be careful when you seat the mag so as not to damage the feed lips.   At $8.99/mag if you order 10 or more it's still a deal you can't beat.  
  Does anyone else have any feed back on the Century lowers?  Have there been any problems reported?  I'd like to get two more and build up another AR.   Talk at ya'll later.  TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#1]
They're apparently forged by the same people who do the Rock River lowers. Put one, and an RR piece side by side, and you can see that they're identical, except the RR unit is a bit smoother in the finish.  Also, I seem to recall that the serial # prefix letters are the same.

And as you've noticed, the chamfer at the bottom of the mag well isn't deep enough to allow the Orlite (and some Thermold) mags to seat.  Same with most Rock River lowers too [:D]

I've seen them at shows, and they appear to be a good value for the money.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 7:02:49 AM EDT
[#2]
DPMS also made some receivers for Century
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
DPMS also made some receivers for Century
View Quote

The seller who had them at the show said the same thing; but I pointed out that the high shelf on the Centurys he had, and the Serial# prefixes were more like the RRs, and nothing like the DPMS lowers he also had there.

Find it hard to believe that DPMS, or anyone else, would redesign their product just to do a subcontract. Could be that Century has used both sources at different times.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought two CIA lowers from a guy on the AssaultWeb board. As far as I can see they are every bit as good quality as any other lowers. I have built one up and put a RRA upper on it and it matches fine. I am building my other lower right now into a 9mm AR. Good quality lowers, the only problem I would see is with resale value as the name isn't as valuable as some others.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#5]
i think i've seen an OLY lower with a CIA SN prefix.  i also heard it was dpms that made the century lowers.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello everybody!Just joined up.(KICK ASS SITE)I have a C.M.T lower(Continental Machine Tool N.H Conn.)that i'm building into an M-4.From what i've been told they make lowers for RRA,Bushmaster.I've been told also(less reliable source they made some for Century also.Anyone seen or own a J&T tac brake?Just wondering how much it looks like A2 fh,thanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#7]
If CMT makes the lowers for both RRA and Bushie, then they make a different lower for each one of them.  Bushie lowers have a rear shelf that is at the original position. RRA and the Century lowers I've seen have the higher shelf that prevents the use of DIAS's.  My DPMS lower also has the low shelf.

Not saying it ain't true. Just that it seems odd that the same outfit would use two different sets of forging dies to produce the same product[:D]
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I've heard of a few diff.'s between the two also.That info came rite from them???I also heard B/M was making their own lowers too but it was cheaper to have them made.As long as it's a hi-quality forged lower would you recomend one brand over another?
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Continental Machine makes the Century and RRA lowers. They are both serialed CMxxxxxx and are indistingushable from each other. At least mine are.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I also have a CMT lower. My shipping bill says "1 ea Colt lower  sn cmt1xxx model cmt-15 cal.5.56mm

I had been told that CMT makes Colt lowers and this kind of makes it a little more real. Any comment?
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I was also told that too,and that they make their 1911 frames also.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#12]
[url]http://continentalmachinetool.com/firearms.html[/url]  Yea, these guys makes almost everyone else's lowers.  If your SN starts with CM, more than likely they made it.  All forged not cast.  I've got two with consecutive serial numbers.  For my two boys.  From talking to their sales rep, (when I was looking to buy from this guy on assualtweb), they claim they have done business for Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River, and a few others.  They fit my DMPS upper very tight.  

You can usually find good prices on them because they are factory over runs.  From my understanding, it's when they receive an order for say 5K, they usually make 6K just incase any of them don't pass Q/C.  For the ones that do, and are not bought up, they are sold to you and me at a discount.

I like mine and I'm sure you will like yours.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#13]
my Colt, RR and bushie all have CM lowers so i started buying Century lowers. absolutely the equal of any more expensive lowers. enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I too have a Century lower (although I paid quite a bit more for mine). I've built it up using parts from J&T Dist. and have had no problems, whatsoever. Good little shooter, if I had to complain it would be that the finish isn't quite as durable as I'd like.

Enjoy and bask in the glory of money saved while still obtaining quality products!!!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top