Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 11:08:42 PM EDT
Hi again, I was wondering what everyone here uses to hold their mags when they are out and about. Obviously if you are just sitting at the range you can just set them on the table, but when your out in the sticks or the desert blasting away what do you use to hold your mags and maybe other related gear? vest? belt pouch? links are helpful and brand names
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Blackhawk vest, carrys 12 mags,  fits over my body armor and is compatible with hydrostorm.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Right now I have some used G.I. LC-2 pouches that each hold 3 of the 30 round mags. I have 4 of these pouches set on an O.D. G.I. belt with the O.D. "Y" type suspenders. I plan on getting something more modern/ergonomic like a vest or similar to current issue though. I think there was a cool website that had custom vests available, weapon specific. I think it was called FMCO or something and they had the U.S. issue looking nylon in different colors. The prices were not cheap though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:43:37 AM EDT
[#3]

SOTech Hellcat MK2

Pouches listed from L-R:
2X TT M4 Shingles, Khaki
1X TT M4 Shingle, OD
2X Paraclete Single M1911 DA Style pouches
TT Medical Pouch
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:51:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:47:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is one of my rigs:

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:11:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I use a bandoleer which holds 4 mags and offers some protection from scratching them up.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:19:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a SOE Patrol sub-load.  It can carry up to six 30 round mags and 2 pistol mags but I generally only carry four 30 rounders with mag-puls installed.

In the future I will probably be switching to a SOTech Hellcat like CapnCrunch has and a flatter 3 mag sub-load also made by SOTech.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:19:38 AM EDT
[#8]
For AR-15 and Mini-14 30 rnd mags, for many years I have used the Galati GLMP30 mag pouches.

www.galatiinternational.com  for their home  page, and this mag pouch is at

www.galatiinternational.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GIO&Product_Code=GLMP30&Category_Code=Magazinepouches

It is made from a black material similar to cordura, holds 6 USGI 30's each in its own pocket, and velcro flaps on each pocket.  The mags don't rattle against each other as in a GI pouch.  There are D-rings on all four corners, and it comes with an adjustable padded shoulder strap.  Many years ago they also made these in camo, but now only in black.  Price is good, about $20 each plus shipping.

They are well made, and have held up well for me over the years (I have some about 15 yrs old).  Great when you want plenty of mags handy, but don't want a big vest type rig.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I have an added question to this thread...

I find that a mag with the Magpul Ranger Plate installed does not fit too well into the pocket on the enhanced LBE (the vest type), and is a tight fit into the standard GI mag pouch.

what other mag pouches are out there to fit the mag/ranger plate combo?

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
depends on the mission at hand

working around the house a loaded one goes in the back pocket of the jeans

working a job I use a single mag pouch from Blade Tech on the belt

all out it's my old LBE with 3 GI mag pouches, Claymore bag, and butt pack plus bandos.

Nothing like tried and true TA50. Did you leave the separator strips in the mags pouches or cut them out. I cut mine out, makes it easier to put empty mags back in quickly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I just ordered this from Eagle Industries:

Ignore the Sherrif tag, I ain't getting that.

It'll carry all the mags I need, plus my gloves, a Camelbak, some firstaid gear, etc.  Plus it comes in a left-handed version which is perfect for me.

Keep in mind I haven't received it yet so I can't vouch for its performance in the field.  However, Eagle's stuff has always been #1, so I doubt I'll be dissapointed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#12]
El_Roto, that's a nice vest.
Let's get a review here once it arrives.
I like it a lot.
What color did you order?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#13]
USGI 782 gear.  4 mag pouches, 2 canteens and an ass-pack.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Leisure, I ordered the Olive Drab; it matches my personality.

I'll be sure to post a review once it get it.  Unfortunately it's going to be awhile as I'm waiting while they make the SVD "sniper vest" I ordered along with it.  I won't see them both 'till Nov. (I chose to have them delivered at the same time, btw).
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I use an Eagle Industries 4x2 chest rig.

Here's a link: Eagle Industries (You have to run your mouse over "Chest Rigs" on the left and then click on the "chest rigs" drop down...It's the one in the middle that's desert camo)

The pictures on their site don't do this rig justivce.  It rides high and tight on my chest.  The way they have it draped over those dummies disturbs me. It doesn't carry a lot, but it's comfortable as all get out &  I got it for "free".  Plus since having back surgery, I try not to treat myself like a camel.

Also carry 1-2 spare 30 round mags on my belt in a polymer holder. 1 or 2 in/on the gun and a 20 in a pocket. (The "1-2 mags" is because I have at least 2 mags cinched together with a fobus mag cinch which I either carry in the rifle or on my belt)

For heavy load outs I have a 3 mag pouch attached to my ruck and numerous spare 3 mag pouches for my belt.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#16]
For on the cheap

www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=51270

Used U.S. Tactical Vest.

Has 6 pockets. One size fits all with fully adjustable padded shoulder straps. 2 1/4" shoulder web straps. Water-resistant nylon with reinforced stress points.
Condition: used, in very good shape. Satisfaction guaranteed
$19.97
Was $29.97  Club Price $17.97

GM

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Right now I have some used G.I. LC-2 pouches that each hold 3 of the 30 round mags. I have 4 of these pouches set on an O.D. G.I. belt with the O.D. "Y" type suspenders. I plan on getting something more modern/ergonomic like a vest or similar to current issue though.

I have 2 pouches set with the suspenders. I want to get a more modern vest but house projects have to come first.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I  dont have any recent  pictures handy,have added a few gear items ,since these pictures was taking.
This is a Tactical Tailor LBV, also have a nice alice gear set up, using a heavy duty H-harness.

Also,have a M4  clone now.

TG
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:06:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I have three 30 round mags taped together, 1 up, 1 down, 1 up, or the other way. Thats what I take when I think the proverbial shit will hit the proverbial fan. otherwise I just carry one or two in ether my leg pockits on my BDU trousers or my lower pockits of my BDU shirt. I have some of those triple mag carriers that go on my belt, but have never used them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:05:47 AM EDT
[#20]
When I go out to the range, I have a small canvas tool-type bag that holds 20-22 or so mags.  I come home when I'm out of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:06:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:37:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Comp-Tac Mag carrier on the Duty belt or 1-3/4" Gun belt. If it takes more than 60 rounds, the Cavalry ain't arrived, and things are bleak.

Velcro a spare on the underside of the dashboard for a vehicle spare, and another 30 rounds while asking the Lord for Cavalry support.

For turnout, the ballistic vest pouches suffice just fine.

Around the hootch, and while stalking the wiley Woodchuck and Coyote, a spare 20 in the left rear Wrangler pocket seems to work OK.

S-28

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:10:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:25:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't wear all that crap if I don't have to.

Just the 'ol cheapo GI 4 pocket bandoleers.  Inexpensive enough to discard but durable enough for repeat uses.  I usually get mine for free.
If I do feel the need to carry a sh*tload of mags, I just strap 3 or 4 SAW pouches to a pistol belt.
These hold 6 mags each, albeit not very quietly.

My ready bag however is a whole other story.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:57:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:14:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#27]
i'm not  a seal or green beannie..i am just a former 11b infantryman that knows what i like...nothing fancy to carry my mags and extra kit  just oldschool basic canvas web gear  that works for me ...i like the m-56 vietnam stuff to carry my 20rd mags....i also add some long british style pouches if i plan to use and carry 30rd mags...vince g. 11b inf...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I use just regular old Douch gear... For the non Marines in here that is TA50... For the non Army here that is just regualr old military issued shit. I am looking to get a new setup someday but I am not sure what I want to get as of now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
In the future I will probably be switching to a  flatter 3 mag sub-load

Yojimbo, what was the reason for your switch- Was this SOE a little too heavy, bulky, or bounce foward/back around your leg?   I've noticed many switching to lower profile subloads.   SOE has a newer, flatter one also: www.soegear.com/store/SLM16.JPG
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In the future I will probably be switching to a  flatter 3 mag sub-load

Yojimbo, what was the reason for your switch- Was this SOE a little too heavy, bulky, or bounce foward/back around your leg?   I've noticed many switching to lower profile subloads.   SOE has a newer, flatter one also: www.soegear.com/store/SLM16.JPG

You got it right, my SOE Patrol sub-load gets bulky and cumbersome if it's loaded to maximum capacity with six 30 round AR mags and two pistol mags.  It does tend to bounce and shift when I'm running and moving rapidly.  Another thing that I realized is that this sub-load was made more for storage rather quick access and if I left the pouch open for faster access then it was too loose to hold the mags securely.  

So I've decided that I need something lighter and more streamlined while also allowing better yet secure access to the magazines.  The sub-loads that seem to offer these features are the flat three mag types like the SOTech Wolverine pictured below.  

These type of sub-loads seem to offer a meaner leaner package while still being very secure when the mags pouches are not snapped shut.  The PALS webbing also gives you more options to attach other gear as needed.  I also think the Wolverine sub-load will compliment the Hellcat vest nicely.

As always the search for the ultimate gear continues...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top