Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 11:40:49 AM EDT
I'm getting ready to build up a new mid length but cant decide on going with a 14.5 or a 16 inch heavy barrel.  I know the 14.5 will need the flash hider permantly installed which is no biggie other than I will go Phantom as I think the Vortex is better but if the ends get screwed up your out a barrel.  My biggest concern with the 14.5 is lost ballistics.Also I'm leaning on a standard gas block/frotn sight vs a PRI flip up.  What are your thoughts on this?  I'm also building a SPR clone so it wont be used for real long range it will basicly be a defense/truck/coyote rifle.
Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I would not be concerned with lost ballistics in a 14.5" at all.  I would be concerend with the non removable flash suppressor more.  I would not get an HBAR... its dead useless weight and adds nothing to the capabilities of your rifle for accuracy or useable durability either.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Really?  I was always under the impression that the Heavy Barrel was the way to go for increased accuracy?  I'm wrong huh?
Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
No one else?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a plan with the 16" and standard FSB.

I don't like the idea of extra parts with the flip up front site and I like the ability to switch out the FH without having to take the barrel off the rifle.

Just my opinion.

WIZZO

EDIT: +1 on the lighter barrel, also. I have a Gov't profile Sabre Defence mid-length barrel from Talon Arms and it feels great while carrying for set to set while coyote hunting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with DevL

If your going with 14.5 might as well make it look a M4

My 16.1 M4 Profile is a tack driver, so accuracy is in the Hands of the Holder.

If you totally set on your configuration and you never plan on changing much then permanant FH is ok.  YMMV
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#6]
So I should just crap can the 14.5 and also the heavy barrel idea and go standard M4 stand barrel 16"?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:45:36 AM EDT
[#7]
The 16 is the easiest route. Everyone has them and they are very versatile

The 14.5 is a more authentic "looking" option, and if this is important to you, go for it. It is likely to cost a bit more if you have someone do the welding of the FH.

You will not be able to discern the differences in ballistics/accuracy unless you are a competition bench-rest shooter.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:48:51 AM EDT
[#8]
16"
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top