Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 1:11:55 PM EDT
Got a YHM sc2 and cant "time" the FS correctly even after tying to crush the washer.. I tried using a vise and it woudlnt even budge. Any ideas on how to time it or should I just leave it as-is?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Peel washers are the best!!!  Everyone wants to torque the shit of of the barrel and flash hider but if you use a peel wash you will have much better results.  They take a little time getting them on correctly but they are the best for the barrel.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
No don't try to pre-crush the washer......if that is what I think you mean.

Here is how you do it:

Place a NEW crush washer on the barrel........the smaller end faces the back of the gun, with the wide flat surface facing the suppressor.

Finger tighten

With barrel clamped in vise using a barrel block........tighten the suppressor with short quick tugs on the wrench.

Each tug on the wrench should move the flash suppressor a little in the direction you need to go as the crush washer compresses. Don't try to move or "time" the suppressor more than 90 degrees!

It takes quite a bit of force to compress the washer.....so I found it necessary to use quick tugs on the wrench. It should go without saying ----  Never try to hold the receiver ---- you will cant the barrel with-in the barrel nut and loose your alignment --- then you will have big problems with your sights.

some people advocate loosening the washer three times....each time getting closer to the timing you want. So you would tighten >>>>>loosen>>>>>than tighten again going a little further >>>>loosen>>>>>>> than tighten again going until you hit your target.

There is no big mystery..........just take tiny steps when trying to tighten the crush washer.

JF.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Sniper350, you do get around don't you! :-)
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Sniper350's right about barrel cant. Tried to torque a shorty flash hider down (before I knew better) holding the reciever and canted the barrel. Had to move my windage far to one side for sights to line up. When I replaced my upper reciever with a flat top my sights were centered again.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advice.. but the FS itself is probably 340 degrees away from being timed correctly with me just hand tightening it. I know there is no way I am going to try to crush the washer with that much left to turn. Think I should just try another washer?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the advice.. but the FS itself is probably 340 degrees away from being timed correctly with me just hand tightening it. I know there is no way I am going to try to crush the washer with that much left to turn. Think I should just try another washer?

Yes, a peel washer!!

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I would try another crush washer............ also you might try --

Since you are so close to the timing from the other direction.............you might add a space washer to add to the thickness of the crush washer set up. This should put the suppressor just short of the target timed position.... . Be sure that the space washer goes on the flat side of the crush washer against the suppressor...........not against the barrel.
You also would want to paint or use some cold bluing treatment on the space washer before installation.

ToeBall -- you got me, just trying to spread the joy  ;~)

JF.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Shingaling you should make sure to properly time your 5C2 or you may experience some negative barrel movement when shooting. YHM crush washers will crush with less then 25# of torque and they can crush one and a quarter turns without bulging beyond the flash hider's diameter. Also sniper350's post is right on the money and an excellent bit of advice.

Quoted:
No don't try to pre-crush the washer......if that is what I think you mean.

Here is how you do it:

Place a NEW crush washer on the barrel........the smaller end faces the back of the gun, with the wide flat surface facing the suppressor.

Finger tighten

With barrel clamped in vise using a barrel block........tighten the suppressor with short quick tugs on the wrench.

Each tug on the wrench should move the flash suppressor a little in the direction you need to go as the crush washer compresses. Don't try to move or "time" the suppressor more than 90 degrees!

It takes quite a bit of force to compress the washer.....so I found it necessary to use quick tugs on the wrench. It should go without saying ----  Never try to hold the receiver ---- you will cant the barrel with-in the barrel nut and loose your alignment --- then you will have big problems with your sights.

some people advocate loosening the washer three times....each time getting closer to the timing you want. So you would tighten >>>>>loosen>>>>>than tighten again going a little further >>>>loosen>>>>>>> than tighten again going until you hit your target.

There is no big mystery..........just take tiny steps when trying to tighten the crush washer.

JF.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the advice.. I am just going to say screw it and I am going to order a Vortex.. makes it easier on all of us lol.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks for the advice.. I am just going to say screw it and I am going to order a Vortex.. makes it easier on all of us lol.

What makes you think a Vortex is going to time any differently?

How long is the threaded portion of your barrel? Should be 0.625" or 5/8"
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Because I dont need any crush washers etc on a vortex... just hand  tighten it and its good to go.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, a peel washer!!

+1!!  Be a MAN!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Because I dont need any crush washers etc on a vortex... just hand  tighten it and its good to go.

Oh yeah
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#15]
if you order a peal warsher it will be easyer
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok, I put on a Phantom before I read this thread.
I put the crush washer on backwards with the flat end against the barrel...YHM doesn't come with instructions.
Should I remove it and put a new crush washer the correct way with the tapered end against the barrel or not worry about it.
Anyone have a extra crush washer they can sell me?

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I have seen crush washers used both ways so if you are timed you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#18]
When putting a KAC FH on my basic midlength gun, it was waaay off with the crush facing the right direction. When I flipped it around, it timed perfectly with only a quarter turn needed. I bought the KAC used & it came without the peel washers.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top