Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2005 1:27:02 PM EDT
I am putting new springs and followers in some of my old mags.  I have a 30rd the one with the little england sticker on the side and for the life of me can not get the baseplate off.  It's a regular baseplate that you slide off.  Any ideas?  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#1]
any chance it may have rusted together? a squirt of 'plus-gas' or other brand of nut freeing agent my help.

Mine have a very stiff base-plate and the parkerised/phosphate finish is rough and this makes them very hard to remove (I just tried it and one did have a small rust spot on the bottom that I didn't know was there until it came apart - I don't usually use these mags much). It wouldn't take much in the way of grit to make them very stiff.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:31:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am putting new springs and followers in some of my old mags.  I have a 30rd the one with the little england sticker on the side and for the life of me can not get the baseplate off.  It's a regular baseplate that you slide off.  Any ideas?  Thanks

Are these the grey mags?  If so, they just tend to stick.  It's the rough texture of the coating.  You can spray a little CLP on the parts that need to slide, but mostly I use a pair of needle-nose pliers.  you insert part of needle nose into the hole, then lift slightly and push.  

I don't like taking these mags apart at all.  Lots of work.  Very hard to get the follower out too.  The springs on them are pretty good.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#3]
They come off like USGI 30 round mags, but since they are steel they don't flex as easily.  How old can the mags be?  Most of them started showing up in the last few years, so the springs should be okay.  Green followers and Magpul followers work well in them.  

Slide them off like this or use a tool (punch or similar) in the drain hole to flex the floorplate up and forward.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The best tool for removing baseplates from USGI type mags is an ordinary nail set.  Stick it in the hole, pry up a little, and pull the baseplate off using the nail set.  Do not bend the baseplate excessively.  You just want to flex it up enough to clear the little nubs, not permanently bend the base plate.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:43:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Check to see if the 4 tabs that keep the baseplate are too tight. Pry them gently.

I had this problem on one Taiwan T-65 mag. Make sure that when you drop the mag, that it doesn't smash into a hard floor. That will cause the tight condition.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, while the new Magpull followers will work in the England SA-80 mags, it is a PITA to get them installed.

The base tabs are a bit larger than standard USGI alum mags and I had to use a sharp X-Acto knife to trim the new followers to get them to slid in easier.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top