Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 11:36:26 PM EDT
Just checking,  I want to cut down a carbine barrel to 10.5 ish to build a pistol.   Can I cut/crown a chrome lined barrel or does it need to be sent out to someone with specialized tools?   Will this cause the chrome lining to come apart?   Anything else I should be aware of on this?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I recall, the chrome shouldn't chip or flake off.  It'll be just a bit harder to resuracae teh crown though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:36:28 AM EDT
[#2]
if you know what you're doing then go for it but since you posted a thread asking i think you should send it to adcofirearms
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:45:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a local shop that will recrown it for me.  Hell, he'll cut too for additional $$$.   He was going to do another non chrome barrel for me and said it wouldnt matter if it wasnt squared off, he would take care of that when recrowning.  Just figured I could drop this one off too.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:56:10 AM EDT
[#4]
if im not mistaked if not done properly then the chrome will start to peel of be damaged

adco has done tons of them after the ban died and think they are highly qualified to do so but its your money and your bbl. so do as you please
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:00:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I cut one down and I did not run in to any trouble
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:55:04 AM EDT
[#6]
There was one vendor mentioning "peeling'" of the chrome when I asked him about it
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:31:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:32:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I've cut a few without issue yet.  Denny's cut hundreds, ADCO's cut hundreds.

That is a left over wive's tale from the days of old chrome technology.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#9]
If you don't think you have the right tools, I wouldn't attempt it. Also, if your cutting down a carbine (16") barrel, the gas port may need to be opened up if going down to 10.5".
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#10]
What's the average cost if sending it out for a cut/crown/threading?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Average price should be between $40-$70 for cut, crown, and thread. Off hand, I know ADCO charges $65, and I know they do a great job. Turn around time is extremely fast, 2-5 days.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:56:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've cut a few without issue yet.  Denny's cut hundreds, ADCO's cut hundreds.

That is a left over wive's tale from the days of old chrome technology.

+1
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I have cut, crowned and threaded a lot of chrome-lined barrels as well.
It's such a minor difference that there is no difference in price to work on a chrome lined barrel vs an un-lined barrel.

www.ar15barrels.com/services.shtml

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top