Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2003 2:24:57 PM EDT
I have a bushmaster w/ 16" barrel and car handguards and car gas block.  I would like to put a mid-length free-float tube on it.  Would this work.

Also, most ads for free-floats say gunsmithing required, is this something that most could do, or does it really entail a trip to the gunsmith.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I don't know what your mechanical aptitude is but if you can change a barrel you can probably put the free float tube on.  The question would be clearance.  If you have one of those cut down front site bases it might fit.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#2]
This is possible.  The handguard will be just long enough to cover the gas block.  

You need to have the right tools to do this, at least a barrel nut wrench, an action block and vise.  Of course you need a punch to remove the pins from the old front sight.  The quick and dirty way is to Dremel the front sight, and do all the work with the gas block in place.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I forgot to mention that there is no front sight, it is a flat-top.  How hard it it to change a barrel?  I have a vise, i guess i will buy an action block and armorers wrench.  I hope they are not too expensive.  Even if they are, it is cheaper than going to one of the local smiths, especailly because i will probaly use it more than once. I have punches.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]
What was that contract special order Bushmaster 16" carbine upper called that was in Shotgun News a few years ago?  I think only Keisler's sold it.  Looked like a 16" A3 with the tube from a 20" Vmatch, with a cap over the end of the tube.  Looked like a phony integral supressor...  Anyone remember these?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#5]
You should check out YHM.net. They sell a low profile gas block that is designed to fit underneath most tubed and railed forearms. It allows you to but a mid length or full length forearm onto a 16" barrel for a "dissapator" look. And you do not have to trash your excisting sight tower.
Archer
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What was that contract special order Bushmaster 16" carbine upper called that was in Shotgun News a few years ago?  I think only Keisler's sold it.  Looked like a 16" A3 with the tube from a 20" Vmatch, with a cap over the end of the tube.  Looked like a phony integral supressor...  Anyone remember these?
View Quote

I think this is what you are referring to:

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/053048-big.jpg[/img]

I remember seeing them and thinking they were pretty neat, but didn't order one at the time.  Haven't seen anything like it since.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#7]
That's it!  I knew it started with an "S".  It really reminded me of this Russian thing:
[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/Kalashnikisara.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Bushnaster has, or at least had, a note on their site saying that their V-Match float tubes wouldn't fit over the shaved front sight on their Dissipators, but the Hogue tube would fit.  That was a few years ago and there are now many more options available.  For example, Oly's "Long Carbine" length FIRSH is designed to give a look similar to the Bushmaster shown above but with rails.  If you click on the link in my sig line and scroll down a bit I've built a couple of rifles using 20" barrels with these long FIRSH tubes over shaved front sights.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Hop,
Where'd you get the versapod adapter that fits onto bottom of the firsh?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#11]
M-4guy,
It's a factory part from Versa-Pod but the only places I've seen it listed are Brownells and LesBaer.  Brownells has a much lower price.

[url=http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1497]Brownells[/url] stock# 100-000-560

It replaces the plastic block that comes with a Versa-Pod, you have to use the legs from another Versa-Pod and can't buy it as a set.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I had an upper as you described. Like Troy said you need a 2 piece float tube so you can install the barrel nut then install the gas block and finally screw the tube in place.
I used a Hogue rifle length (20") tube on a 16" barrel that I had ground the sight post off of.

I liked that carbine alot. I had a low power scope installed and it was fun to shoot.

I'll try to dig up a picture for you.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://homepage.mac.com/m4a3/.Pictures/DPMS%20Lower%20AR-15.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#14]
It's worth mentioning that the smaller piece of the 2-piece handguard (Hogue, for example) IS the barrel nut. You'll need a strap wrench to install it. Makes for a very nice looking rifle.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I've also done this with an Armalite Fiberglass freefloat tube.

I shaved off the front sight and installed the tube. I wasn't difficult at all and it's a great little shooter.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/047933.jpg[/img]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top