Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2003 5:12:39 AM EDT
I took my rifle apart for a good cleaning last night. I am wondering about the cam pin. In the Bushmaster manual it says the cam pin will go in the bolt only one way. My pin will go in either way. The pin looks ok and so does the bolt. I put everything togeather so the extractor is towards the opening in the upper. Is there something wrong with my bolt. I bought the rifle used last year from a member of this forum. I shot the rifle a little last year with no problem. Thanks for the help. eagle308us
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:19:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Believe they are refering to the fact that one must turn the cam-pin with the narrow sides perpendicular to the carrier in order to slip it into postion. Hope I described this correctly, but with long sides perpendicular to the carrier it will catch on the gas block key, so it must be rotated..... for insertion. It must then be rotated again in order for firing pin to be inserted.

Mike

Added pic for ref:
[img]http://www.ar15.com/content/parts/boltCarrier.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:24:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto-the cam pin is uniform and can be rotated 180 degrees they are talking about inserting into the bolt.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:32:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the pic. So if I were not paying attension, I could get the bolt rotated 180 degrees in the carrier, correct. Is the way I described my bolt in the carrier correct.

The exact wording from the manual is
'the Bolt is machined as to allow inseration of the Cam Pin from one side only. This provision aligns the Extractor and Ejector properly within the Bolt Carrier'
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:07:23 AM EDT
[#4]
You want the extractor side of the bolt on the same side as the FA cuts on the carrier.
Sounds like you did it right.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:07:02 AM EDT
[#5]
my cam pin only fits in the bolt one way. when i turn the bolt 180 deg. the cam pin will not go in the bolt. the bolt is not a bushmaster, i got the bolt carrier assembly from del-ton, so i don't know who makes it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
The cam pin should only go into the hole in the bolt from the correct side.  The hole’s opening on the opposite of the bolt should have a slight crimp to prevent the pin from entering.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top