Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 7:37:39 AM EDT
I have a BCM Midlength with DD 12'' Lite Rail.  I currently have it mated with a Bushy lower with a CTR on a commercial stock.  I've noticed that this is pretty front heavy.  I'm thinking of swapping out the CTR for an Emod, but want opinions.  

I am not going to pay the scalpers fee on a UBR at this time and I'm not entirely sure I want to wait for them to become available again, so I was considering an Emod.  If I go the Emod route, I plan to put extra AA batteries for my Eotech 517 in it.  

Does the hive think an Emod is a good choice to balance this out?  Facial hair is not an issue here.  

Pic of my rifle, without the Eotech on it:

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp29/Brew1182/SN850475.jpg
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep the CTR...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:44:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I like EMODS myself.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:47:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Only have experience with A1, A2, CAR, M4, CTR & SOPMOD.  That said, have you considered the SOPMOD?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I hadn't considered the SOPMOD yet.  Is there a commercial version of the SOPMOD?  Is this heavy enough to balance it out?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Go with the Emod. Nice weight that balances out the DD lite 12. But then again, what do I know..........

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the EMOD over pretty much all other stocks. Especially for front heavy rifles.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Crisptito- I'm loving that setup.  

Does anyone have a link to a comparison of the major stock manufacturers specs?  Length, weight, etc?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I love my EMOD as well, it balanced out my middy with a 14" DD rail.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a BCM Midlength with DD 12'' Lite Rail.  I currently have it mated with a Bushy lower with a CTR on a commercial stock.  I've noticed that this is pretty front heavy.  I'm thinking of swapping out the CTR for an Emod, but want opinions.  

I am not going to pay the scalpers fee on a UBR at this time and I'm not entirely sure I want to wait for them to become available again, so I was considering an Emod.  If I go the Emod route, I plan to put extra AA batteries for my Eotech 517 in it.  

Does the hive think an Emod is a good choice to balance this out?  Facial hair is not an issue here.  

Pic of my rifle, without the Eotech on it:

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp29/Brew1182/SN850475.jpg

This prolly isn't what you want to hear....but I would buy all that you are considering & see which one(s) you like the most. This is what I did & sold the one I didn't like...that one being the Emod. I keep a CTR on my shortest SBR & all of my other SBRs are fitted with the SOPMOD.

Nice carbine btw!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Wicked pic Slaytex. Looks like you sent your AR through the xray machine at the airport.

Thanks for the setup compliments. All that it is missing to complete is a DD qd sling mount, a Larue sling, and a Trijicon TR24G. Sling will be inbound once I pay for car tags this month

EDIT: Brew- meant to say I like your setup too. Good looking rifle. What kind of vertical foregrip you got on it and what rail covers do you use?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:18:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm running a Tangodown QD Vertical Grip.  Looking back, I'm not sure that I need the QD capability and would save the $20.  I'm not taking it off and putting it on other rifles, so it's dedicated solely this setup.  Also, I have Tangodown Rail Covers near the upper receiver, then used Magpul ladder rail covers to cover the remaining rail space.  I'm super happy with my setup.  

All I need to do now is to load some 75 grain HPBT and wring this thing out for accuracy.  All I've used so far have been 55 grain and 62 grain.  Couldn't be happier.  

After all this discussion, I'm seriously considering the EMOD, especially because I have doubts about finding a UBR.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an EMOD which balances my front heavy carbine with Denny's Operator 16" medium contoured, midlength barrel and LaRue 9.0 rails.

The EMOD are probably one of the strongest collapsible stocks and they have an angled buttstock which are more comfortable than any other stocks out there.

EMOD are longer and heavier than the LMT SOPMOD and your CTR.

I would suggest get the EMOD, if you don't like it just use it for a while then trade it for the UBR when they're available at reasonable prices.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#13]
What do you guys think about the E-Mod stock versus the standard Modstock which does not have the battery storage compartment. I don't know if I need the battery compartment and I kind of like the looks of the standard Modstock over the other.

Help  me out........what is your opinion about these two stocks???
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What do you guys think about the E-Mod stock versus the standard Modstock which does not have the battery storage compartment. I don't know if I need the battery compartment and I kind of like the looks of the standard Modstock over the other.

The modstock does have the battery compartment, its those tubes in the cheekweld. It doesn't have the little latch thing though. I have both and I like the light weight and shorter look of the modstock, but like the rubber buttpad and how the emod shoulders is much better. I wish they would make a shorter emod!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The modstock does have the battery compartment, its those tubes in the cheekweld. It doesn't have the little latch thing though. I have both and I like the light weight and shorter look of the modstock, but like the rubber buttpad and how the emod shoulders is much better. I wish they would make a shorter emod!

+1 The standard Modstocks have tube battery compartments.

But if you get their standard Modstock, not the basic, they include two flat cheek weld adapters which are used when the tube battery compartments are not being used.

I have the standard carbine, clubfoot, and EMOD Modstocks and I agree that Vltor should at least add another model of the carbine and clubfoot with the improved angled rubber buttpads.

I'm using Vltor's slip on buttpads on my standard and clubfoot but they could easily slip off unless the buttpad gets tied down with nylon straps, wire, etc.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an EMOD on my miidy and I love it. It balances out the rifle nicely and the cheekweld is better than the CTR on my carbine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#17]
+1 for EMOD

look around in the equipment exchange and you can score one for a good price

BCM 16" M4 upper on a Kaiser Defense lower
http://img.skitch.com/20090617-jayq282batjic451q3hianun38.jpg
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I've wanted to try out a UBR for some time, but I'm in the same boat you are, I won't pay $300+ for one. I'll wait till they come back in stock before I give it a try. I'd keep the CTR for the time being.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I was in a similar situation as the OP, waiting and waiting and then waiting some more for the UBR... so I decided to go with the EMOD to finish the build.  I'm very glad that I did.  

Like a week after I got the EMOD, a UBR finally became available so I picked it up as well.   While the UBR is a really nice stock, for "general" use I prefer the EMOD.  I liked it so much that I bought another so now I have EMODs on both my 10.3 in SBR and a 16 in carbine.  If feels great on both of those guns.  Very solid and comfortable to shoot.  I didn't have any problems with my beard getting caught it.

I ended up putting the UBR on a more precision-oriented build, as it feels very much like a fixed stock when extended.

I have a CTR as well, and while it's a quality stock, I don't think I'd buy another.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Go with the Emod or a UBR if you can find one. The Emod is perfect on my middies...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#21]
CTR all the way. Weight, size and simplicity.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I have an MOE on my middy and am planning on switching it out for the Magpul ACS when it becomes available.  I'm content to wait until it's out in sufficient quanitities to get ahold of.

Stickman Review here.

It'll probably be easier to get an ACS than a UBR, and it'll be less expensive at the suggested $135ish price point.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:29:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I recently ordered a UBR off of cmmg. It came very quickly, so it might be in stock there. I like my UBR :)
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:51:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I've fired weapons using all three stocks you origionally asked about.  IMHO for mid length and front heavy rifles, the UBR is a must simply because the weight of the UBR really balances out the weapon.  They are instock if you look around.  You will still pay $265 for it but it is definately worth it.  There is no rattle at all.  It is really well built, so much so that if you had to butt stroke someone you could and not worry about screwing up the stock.

Any of the stocks mentioned in this thread are great stocks though.  It just depends on your mission or you goals for the platform.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:59:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wicked pic Slaytex. Looks like you sent your AR through the xray machine at the airport.

Thanks for the setup compliments. All that it is missing to complete is a DD qd sling mount, a Larue sling, and a Trijicon TR24G. Sling will be inbound once I pay for car tags this month

EDIT: Brew- meant to say I like your setup too. Good looking rifle. What kind of vertical foregrip you got on it and what rail covers do you use?

I'll post another pic tomorrow when my new ACOG TA31H comes from Larue...
Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:28:10 AM EDT
[#26]
That rifle needs more emod!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've fired weapons using all three stocks you origionally asked about.  IMHO for mid length and front heavy rifles, the UBR is a must simply because the weight of the UBR really balances out the weapon.  They are instock if you look around.  You will still pay $265 for it but it is definately worth it.  There is no rattle at all.  It is really well built, so much so that if you had to butt stroke someone you could and not worry about screwing up the stock.

Any of the stocks mentioned in this thread are great stocks though.  It just depends on your mission or you goals for the platform.

Will the UBR snag facial hair?  Is there a "cheaper" or less expensive option that will still balance out an AR?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I recently ordered a UBR off of cmmg. It came very quickly, so it might be in stock there. I like my UBR :)

How recently? Mine has been on backorder from cmmg for a month.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#29]
You guys might cring, but has anyone tried the knock off UBR. So it doesn't have a brand name on it but the function is simple enough and the material can't be too far off.

Edit: sorry had the UBR confused with the PRS. Haven't seen a knock off UBR, just the PRS.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I agree with the others in getting both and shooting them for awhile.  Then either sell the one you don't like or keep it as a spare, as you may have a carbine or build one in the future that would like the CTR.  I have the E mod and am considering getting more when I can find them non-gouged.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top