Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/31/2003 11:12:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/31/2003 11:41:06 AM EDT by TANGOCHASER]
I just finished an Advanced Urban Combat Course (CQB) taught by the International Special Training Center here in Germany.

I took my issue M16 and converted it to an M4 with a Bushmaster M4 upper and a CAV Arms collapsible buttstock assy that I built in my basement. At first it wouldn't shoot but one round at a time. Apparently you can't use an AR15 firing pin in an M16. I changed the firing pin and proceded to break in the barrel by firing over 500 rounds the first day of class.

Most of the class had some sort of vertical handle on the front and an optical sight. 30% of the M68's (Aimpoint ML2), broke either from fogging or just not turning on. The Trijicon's had 0% failure rate.

I shot better than most of the class using open sights on my home made upper. The guys with the optical sights were slightly faster engaging the targets but I had tighter shot groups.

After firing 2000+ rounds in the first week, I could keep 30 shots in a 3 " circle at 15 meters using controlled pairs and 30 shots in a 6" circle at 25 meters. Not bad for an Artilleryman.

I received a vertical handle from Combat-Diver but was unable to use it as I had no way to attach it to my upper before the class. I only had 4 days notice before the start of the course.

I ended up using my kids skate board knee pads for the course. They worked great except they were teal blue and clashed with my BDU's.

I wear glasses and had a hell of a time keeping my glasses and my ballistic goggles from fogging up. I was using a anti-fogging cloth i had left over from the early '80s that was originally for an M17 gas mask. The cloth has some kind of oil on it that leaves a thin film of oil on the lense that prevents fogging. In extreme cold it rains on the glasses instead of fogging.

Dual-pane goggles worked well for some of the students.

We used Simunitions and they sting like a bitch when it's cold. The paint pellets don't break when it's cold so you get hit with the plastic case surrounding the paint.

I used a Spec-Ops brand "Mamba" sling and I like it alot. You can adjust it tighter than normal because it has a bunge section on the strap that allows you to pul it out away from your body a little and then snap it back into your shoulder for a tight position. It's like a 3 point sling but the floating strap is different and a part of the sling stays tight against the upper receiver and does not hang up on your gear.

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:34:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TANGOCHASER: Apparently you can't use an AR15 firing pin in an M16. I changed the firing pin and proceded to break in the barrel by firing over 500 rounds the first day of class.
View Quote
[>:/] I've never noticed a difference between them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:40:51 AM EDT
A true AR15 pin has a larger diameter collar than a 16 pin so it will catch the hammer nose so FA fire is interrupted.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:44:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/31/2003 11:46:05 AM EDT by TANGOCHASER]
The AR15 pin I started with had the same size collar as the M16 pin but the collar was thicker. I mistated my original problem, it would dent the primer but not enough to ignite the round. I think the collar thickness was preventing the pin from going far enough to bust the primer. Just a guess.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 12:02:38 PM EDT
It's kinda funny the things ya learn from actively doing things. Something as in-depth and strenuous as CQB and urban warfare type training. Things like, the most mundane of problems will be the most problematic. Googles\glasses\optics fogging up for example. How much minor\auxillary equipment makes a difference both good and bad. Things like that. Anybody can shoot perfect, on a perfect day, under perfect conditions, with perfect equipment, etc. It's going out and doing it under less than perfect conditions is where you learn what works and what doesn't. Sounds like you learned alot and had alot of fun too, well except for the sims anyway. Sims absolutely suck in the cold.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 12:35:37 PM EDT
Good post, thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 1:13:21 PM EDT
I did forget to mention that during 3/4 of the class, it was raining or snowing. If I wore my polypropelene under shirt, I would sweat bad when we started shooting or assaulting. If I went with no snivel gear at all, I would freeze everytime I stopped moving. I eventually just sucked it up and wore my hot weather BDUs and jungle boots. I wore my snivel gear and Matterhorn boots when it snowed. We did an competition obstacle course prior to firing one day where we had to crawl up and down 2, 5 ton trucks parked end to end, run to the firing line and shoot, then run up and down a 3 story range tower stairs, shoot again, then high crawl for 30 meters, then shoot again. It kicked my 40 year old ass but I came in tied for 3rd place. 36 guys in the class and I was able to out shoot all but 1 guy with optics. I kept the butt stock extended all the way only because I have long arms and I put my non-firing hand on the front of the mag well. I also used a Surefire, G2, $34.00 flashlight that I duct taped to my forearm. It worked as well as any $50 mount on the market. The Army issue, Sun, Wind and Dust goggles now come with ballistic lenses for only $18. On the last day of the course, we had 9 guys clear a 4 story house in 2 minutes and 40 seconds including hauling out 3 wounded good guys and hand cuffing one bad guy. All while taking fire from snipers in the village. This course was the best course I have ever attended in the Army.
Top Top