Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/12/2003 10:16:37 AM EDT
Hi all,

I've been having this nagging suspicion that applying CLP to mags eats away the smooth moly coating. Is this based in fact, or am I on crack?

I notice that if I add a couple drops to a mag, then rub it in with my fingers, the clp turns the color of the moly, but I'm not sure why, since I mostly buy old grungy mags.

FWIW, old colt 20s seem to become more uniformly smooth when CLPed.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always oiled my ar mags, but when introduced to clp in the military they taught us to lightly coat them with clp during routine maintenance.

Even my wife has an AR [X]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The CLP is taking the loose MoS2 lube particles back into suspension.

The MoS2 dry film lube used on the USGI mags has historically been a solventborne material with a very high pigment to binder ratio.  Not a lot of binder, and that's why the MoS2 pigment "chalks" off with time.

Being solventborne, if you introduce a solvent (CLP, methyl ethyl ketone, etc.) it WILL remove the MoS2, little by little.  Of course, the MoS2 does a good job of coming off by itself with time.

A couple of years ago Okay Industries switched from spray-coating the mag bodies with solventborne coating to dip-drain coating them with a VOC-compliant dip version of the coating made by another manufacturer.  I read the article in a coatings industry magazine about how Okay saved a bundle because the dip-drain application method has a 100% transfer efficiency (no waste), and the former spray process had about 60% to 70% waste in overspray caught in the booth filters.

Noah

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top