Posted: 5/7/2003 6:39:06 PM EDT
I'm buying my first AR-15. I've been shopping and this is what I was looking at:
Rock River Arms CAR A2 SS 16" HBAR with 1:8 twist
Rock River Arms Complete lower
My questions are these:
1) Most of the barrels that I haves seen are 1:9 twist. How does the twist affect the gun and is 1:8 twist not as good as 1:9? If so I can get the regular barrel.
2) Am I getting this for a good price? Complete upper - $410. Complete lower $210. Those prices are shipped (plus $25 FFL charge for lower)
3) The guy selling it said I will get no warranty for the gun because I am not buying it as a complete gun. I find it hard to believe that Rock River Arms won't warranty even their parts from defect.
4) Is this the best gun for the money? I've heard that the Rock River Arms are the best (or at least better) receivers.
I am trying to keep everything under $650 or so in price. I did find an Olympic Arms PCR-5 for $659 (before shipping and FFL charge). Is this a better deal/gun?
Thanks for any assistance. I am just getting into the AR-15 world and you all are much more experienced than I am.
1) all Rock River SS barrels are 1/8
2)price is about average
3)Rock River will warranty their parts/assemblies. But apparently your dealer isn't going to offer you any "customer service".
4) the RRA is a better setup than the Oly, though there's nothing bad about Oly, either.
[beer] Welcome Aboard!
I have heard good things about RRA, but I haven't owned one myself. I do own some Olympic rifles and I have been happy with them.
Go to the Ammunition Forums and read the AmmoFaq that is tacked at the top of the page. That will answer all your ammo and twist rate questions.
Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!
You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.