Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2008 3:01:50 PM EDT
My stepson is leaving for the middle east with his unit. He is allowed to buy his own optics. I plan on buying him a ACOG to mount on his M16. What magnification would be recommended?
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#1]
His rifle A2 or flat-top? If A2 take a serious look at Compact ACOGs.

If flat-top, take him to a shop and see if he likes TA11 (3.5x, 2.4" eye relief) or TA31 (4x, 1.5" eye relief) better.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the TA11 for it's eye relief.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#3]
TA31 IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#4]
TA31, add a mini red dot on top with the protective wings. And tell him thanks for his service.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#5]
TA31RCO-M4CP: 4x32 Trijicon ACOG® USMC Rifle Combat
Optic (RCO) with Red Dual Illuminated Reticle

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]
That is probably about the best think you could give him.  Please tell him thanks for his service.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the TA31F with a mini red dot on top.  Although the TA11F is pretty nice as well.  It gives you a wider field of view (FOV) than the compact ACOGs.  Since observation is a pretty important role of a magnified optic in Iraq, it can make a difference.  In an over watch position, it can really make a big difference.  I traded a TA01 for a TA33 compact and the first thing I noticed was the smaller FOV.  I didn't care for it and ended up getting a TA31F as a replacement.  I think the extra weight & size is worth the wider FOV.

I stuck a JPoint mini red dot on there as a backup/up close sight.  I really like it.  I am in Chandler, AZ if you want to see it in real life.  In fact, I am running down to Casa Grande range tomorrow to sight it in.  You are more than welcomed to put some rounds though it if you like.  PM me.

Another really good option is a variable powered optic.  I really like Trijicon's TR21, although the Meopta K-dot and IOR CRT is really nice as well.  I have owned all and really loved them.  I only got rid of them in a money raising sell off.  The ACOG was the last to remain so I kept it.

Either way, check out the Live.com cashback post on the optics board.  You can get 20-30% cash back which means you get $200 back in 60 days after you buy it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My stepson is leaving for the middle east with his unit. He is allowed to buy his own optics. I plan on buying him a ACOG to mount on his M16. What magnification would be recommended?

What does he have now for optics?  What type of M16?  Has he already been issued optics?  Will he be issued optics?  What is his mission?  What part of the country?  City, desert, trees, etc?

Until you can answer some of that, don't buy him anything.  An issue M68 will do him fine in most places.  In some others, an ACOG is great.  I am partial to my issued TA-31F, but I have that on an M4.

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#9]
maybe think about a aimpoit set up with a 3X mag in larue mounts.   this is the best of both worlds if he is getting a flat top.  IMHO
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn...
If I would have got your message sooner, I would have met in you Casa Grande. I am in Tucson. Let me know again when you wana throw some rounds down range!!

[email protected]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top