Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 1:26:19 PM EDT
is this thing just a royal pain to get off or am I doing something wrong... Im using a stock wrench too btw.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#1]
sometimes they are loctite or staked, maybe both
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#2]
RRA? Loctite?
A little heat from a propane torch will soften up the Loctite.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#3]
It could be staked on or possibly installed with Loctite. You can try sticking the whole lower receiver in the freezer for a couple hours or even better over night. The cold reacts differently to the steel nut and aluminum tube and can help separate the two. I’ve used this method on stuck barrel nuts.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#4]
"Staking" as ive always known it, means a mark made across an object and what it screws into so that when its tightened it can be retightened to the same torque specs later... what do you mean by staking? that something has been driven through it and into the buffer tube? where would that be so I can check it if thats what you mean.

thanks for the quick responses guys im eager to get this sling going!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
A newer style extension tube nut will have smaller square cuts that face the receiver plate. The metal from the receiver plate will be displaced into one or more of the square cuts. This locks the extension tube nut  and prevents it from rotating free.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#6]
ahhh ok, i was in the process of getting some pictures to ask if those little squares were what you meant... my retaining nut has them... so how do I get it off?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I have freed stuck buffer tube nuts by using a punch and hammer to make the nut rotate off. Get a round punch and using the castle nut's spot for the wrench, give it a wack with a hammer. Be sure to have the rifle support so it doesn't want to turn, ie. lay it on a table and hold it down with elbow as you do as prescribed above. BE CAREFUL not to hit threads of buffer tube.  Or hit the wrench with the hammer. Righty tighty, lefty loosey!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
ahhh ok, i was in the process of getting some pictures to ask if those little squares were what you meant... my retaining nut has them... so how do I get it off?

Your retaining nut might have the square slots, but that does not mean it’s staked. Look for a slot that has metal from the receiver plate peened into it. If this is the case, your nuts been staked. If it’s been staked then you’ll need a good wrench and some muscle to break it loose!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks fellas, you solved my problem. it wasnt stake was just on there tighter than... well, tight.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top