Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 9:07:36 PM EDT
Question for you guys who have done this MANY more times than me...

I'm building my first lower using a Stag stripped and a Bushmaster standard LPK.
The step-by-step directions here on the site are great! Kudos to all who have contributed.
I found the taped-visegrip method of installing the 2 roll pins to be really easy. The only hammer use on these is the final tiny bit (with an 1/8" punch) to finish up the pin.
Lubing the pin-holes on the trigger, disconnector and hammer with MolySlide on a cut-off q-tip stick makes them really smooth. And when a bit of pin tapping was necessary, I used the end of the wooden handle on the small hammer rather than the metal hammerhead. No dings to the lower that way.

But before I put the safety selector in its hole, I did some trigger/hammer break-in action.  Making sure I restrained the hammer from falling (just allowing it to release from its cocked position) I "fired" 50 shots. Pretty nice for a single stage trigger. Then I tried the disconnector check.
Remember, there's no safety in the receiver. Lo and behold, there's no disconnector function. I think the trigger goes farther to the rear that it would with the safety in place. Does this mean that if you 'lose' the safety selector from your single stage triggered Bushy, you're in FA?

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:30:46 AM EDT
[#1]
dont think so.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:42:36 AM EDT
[#2]
No disconnector function w/the safety out?  

Something's wrong; either w/the part(s) or with the installation. First place I'd look is the disconnector spring.  Make sure it's 1) there and 2) installed the right way.

The safety on a semi auto only AR15 has abolutely no relationship to the trigger/disconnector function; except to impose a block that prevents those parts from moving when it's engaged.

Whatever the problem turns out to be, you're in no danger of full auto fire in any event.  If the disconnector on a semi auto gun is removed, fails, or doesn't function, all that happens is that the hammer wil follow the second round feed down and come to rest on the primer of an unfired round.

Why am I so sure of this?  Because as an experiment we took the full auto sear and disconnector out of my class three'd Colt one day, and tried to make it fire more than once w/three different brands of 5.56 ammo.  Same result every time. One fired, and the next one ended up unfired w/the hammer down-----just like Gene Stoner and crew intended

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you talking about the fact that with the selector removed and the trigger is held fully to the rear the hammer can not push the disconnector out of the way and catch the hammer the way it is supposed to? The trigger will rotate to far with the selector removed for the hammer to pass the disconnector on some lowers. I have never tried but because of the hammer being stopped to high I do not know if  the carrier would be able to pass by the hammer.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Are you talking about the fact that with the selector removed and the trigger is held fully to the rear the hammer can not push the disconnector out of the way and catch the hammer the way it is supposed to? The trigger will rotate to far with the selector removed for the hammer to pass the disconnector on some lowers. I have never tried but because of the hammer being stopped to high I do not know if  the carrier would be able to pass by the hammer.

Hmmm.  Never thought about that, but I guess it could happen.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Whoops. Duplicate post
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top