Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2004 10:49:16 AM EST
I've been considering buying a free-floater equipped AR for long distance recreational shooting.

I don't want to spent the $2000.00 some folks are spending on SPR clone uppers, although I will admitt that all the SPR talk has gotten me really intrested in long distance, accurate shooting.

I own 2 Bushmasters, and I like their quality. Bushy's 2 bull barrel free floater equipped rifles (the Varminter and the V-Max match rifle) are reasonably priced, but have various differing features.
Eventually I might trick out the rifle into and SPR clone with az raail system etc, but my primary intrest is buying a good platform upon which to learn and develop long range shooting skills.

Thebiggest difference is that the Varminter has a heavy, flutetd 24 in bbl. Non chrome lined.
The V-max comes in 16, 20 or 24 and is chrome lined.

My chief concern is "break in" and the durability and accuract of these 2 barells.
I'll probably restrict my "target" AR to Black Hills moly ammo or similar.

Thanks for any advice or experience you can share.

CKMorley

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:26:28 AM EST
The varminter also has the DCM (or whatever they are calling it now) chamber. Not the 5.56 chamber found in the V-Match. FWIW.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:08:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By CKMorley:
My chief concern is "break in" and the durability and accuract of these 2 barells.

Based on that, I'd go with the chrome lined bbl.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:21:43 PM EST
I've got a 20" v-match. It is very accurate with handloads. I can shoot 3/4" at 100 yds. no problem. My best group is three shots at 1/4". It is heavy and not as easy to handle as an A2, but I would buy one again. The factory trigger is HEAVY and would benifit from an upgrade. The varminter comes with a 2 stage trigger from the factory, and that is a good thing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:06:24 PM EST
I have a 16 inch V-match right now. It is the best of both worlds with free-float bull barrell, but is also chrome lined with 5.56 chamber. I use iron sights and am really impressed with the accuracy using USGI spec ammo (M855).
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:21:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:10:02 PM EST
I have had my v-match for awhile trigger is nice I have heard some NEGS about it but for the bench it works well I love mine Get what U want. Bushy is agreat rifle and great Company the have done me well. Here is my Bean poll And yes it is 24" long. But I love the Bit@h.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:59:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/6/2004 8:04:10 PM EST by LashLaRue]
I have the BM Varminter that replaced a 20" V-Match(both purchased NIB). Both are excellent rifles but the Varminter is by far the more accurate of my two. All I shoot for LR is .223(Black Hills) so the fact it doesn't have a 5.56 chamber is no difference to me. The Varminter has a few more bells. I love the BM two stage trigger, although some do not. The fluted barrel is also nice. If you might want to shoot surplus or you want a barrel that is a little easier to clean then get the V-Match. Hope this helps yor decision.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:56:16 AM EST
M4-Tuna,

What kind of scope ???
What negs have you heard ?

JTAC,
How much - as shown ?

CKMorley
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:37:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/7/2004 8:39:21 AM EST by JTAC_Supply]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:29:41 AM EST
nice uppers, how do they shoot
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:11:31 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:10:18 AM EST
JTAC,

What kinda scope would you recommend ?
A nickle at 100 yards......damn!

I see people putting risers and Swan Sleeves on their SPReplicas.
I assume it's to raise large-bell scopes high enough to clear the fore-end ?

I'm a noob to scoped-tactical stuff. Until I had my DSA SA58 scoped recently,
all my guns are box stock. (Haven't dialed-in the SA58 at the range yet. Hopefully Sunday )
I've got a Leupold Rifleman 3-9X40 on my SA58.
It has a simple duplex reticle. The mildot scopes are just to darn expensive.

Please educate me and you'll probably get a customer :-)

CKMorley
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:33:32 AM EST
Top Top