Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2004 11:49:16 AM EDT
I've been considering buying a free-floater equipped AR for long distance recreational shooting.

I  don't want to spent the $2000.00 some folks are spending on SPR clone uppers, although I will admitt that all the SPR talk has gotten me really intrested in long distance, accurate shooting.

I  own 2 Bushmasters, and I like their  quality. Bushy's  2  bull barrel free floater  equipped rifles (the Varminter and the V-Max match rifle) are reasonably priced, but have various differing features.
Eventually I might trick out the rifle into and SPR clone with az raail system etc, but my primary intrest is buying a good platform upon which to learn and develop long range shooting skills.

Thebiggest difference is that the Varminter has a heavy, flutetd 24 in bbl. Non chrome lined.
The V-max comes in 16, 20 or  24  and is  chrome lined.

My chief concern is "break in" and the durability and accuract of these 2 barells.
I'll probably restrict my "target" AR to Black Hills moly ammo or similar.

Thanks for any advice or experience you can share.

CKMorley

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The varminter also has the DCM (or whatever they are calling it now) chamber. Not the 5.56 chamber found in the V-Match. FWIW.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My chief concern is "break in" and the durability and accuract of these 2 barells.

Based on that, I'd go with the chrome lined bbl.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a 20" v-match. It is very accurate with handloads. I can shoot 3/4" at 100 yds. no problem. My best group is  three shots at 1/4". It is heavy and not as easy to handle as an A2, but I would buy one again.  The factory trigger is HEAVY and would benifit from an upgrade.  The varminter comes with a 2 stage trigger from the factory, and that is a good thing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 16 inch V-match right now.  It is the best of both worlds with free-float bull barrell, but is also chrome lined with 5.56 chamber.  I use iron sights and am really impressed with the accuracy using USGI spec ammo (M855).
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had my v-match for awhile trigger is nice I have heard some NEGS about it but for the bench it works well I love mine  Get what U want. Bushy is agreat rifle and great Company the have done me well. Here is my Bean poll      And yes it is 24" long. But I love the Bit@h.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the BM Varminter that replaced a 20" V-Match(both purchased NIB).  Both are excellent rifles but the Varminter is by far the more accurate of my two.  All I shoot for LR is .223(Black Hills) so the fact it doesn't have a 5.56 chamber is no difference to me.  The Varminter has a few more bells.  I love the BM two stage trigger, although some do not.  The fluted barrel is also nice.  If you might want to shoot surplus or you want a barrel that is a little easier to clean then get the V-Match.  Hope this helps yor decision.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#8]
M4-Tuna,

What kind of scope ???
What negs have you heard ?

JTAC,
How much - as shown ?

CKMorley
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#10]
nice uppers, how do they shoot
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:10:18 PM EDT
[#12]
JTAC,

What kinda scope would you recommend ?
A nickle at 100 yards......damn!

I see people putting risers and Swan Sleeves on their SPReplicas.
I assume it's to raise large-bell scopes high enough to clear the fore-end ?

I'm a noob to scoped-tactical stuff. Until I had my DSA SA58 scoped recently,
all my guns are box stock. (Haven't dialed-in the SA58 at the range yet. Hopefully Sunday )
I've got a Leupold Rifleman 3-9X40 on my SA58.
It has a simple duplex reticle. The mildot scopes are just to darn expensive.

Please educate me and you'll probably get a customer :-)

CKMorley
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top