Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 7:24:18 AM EDT
 I currently own no Ar's  I am embrassed to say. I was looking for a light and handy Ar for general defensive purposes and carbine classes. I searched for a thread on the Bushmaster Superlights but was unable to come up with anything. Are there any compelling reasons not to go with this rifle for my purposes? Or would I be better served with a RRA or a Bushmaster M4? Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#1]
lightweight pic thread

thread

search lightweight

i have a superlightweight from bushmaster and it shoots great i also want to get a colt 6520 which is also a nice lightweight
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#2]
There are also a couple of threads in the general ar section.

And I like mine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
...for general defensive purposes and carbine classes.

The fact you want to get real training makes you better than 90% of the people who post on this board.

To help answer your question - I used a Bushmaster "superlight" barrel-equipped carbine in a recent 10-8 class with no problems; I think I have around 1200 rounds through the tube so far and have been impressed with its accuracy, etc over many different types of firing schedules.

For most, the lightweight/pencil profile is adequate on a semi-auto defensive/training gun.

Hope this helps and good luck whatever you decide.

Clint
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I've tried just about every type of barrel and I LOVE my BM superlight!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Colt 6520 is the shiznit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got a Bushy Lightweight and I like it better than my M4gery.  Get the Superlite!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:44:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Superlite!

Yeah, they heat up quick, but who really builds them to use as precision carbines? They are a blast to shoot, I think just holding one will make you want one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a superlight barrel. Bushy or COlt is fine.

I have a 6520 and it's great. In my opinion, there is no need whatsoever for an HBAR, hell, no need for an M4 either unless you plan on getting a grenade launcher.

Yes, they will heat up faster, but they will also cool faster.

Superlight and Pencil are names given to these barrels since the market is dominated by civilian commercial HBAR's. Superlight and Pencil's are the REAL profile for an AR-15 rifle. The thicker barrel diameter forward of the FSB was made that way to handle a bayonet better. On 16" rifles, you can't fit a bayonet anyways. 14.5's are SBR's....so the only barrel that "needs" that is a 20". However, Govt profile 20"ers are light under the handguards.

Note that the lighter profile was designed and used for full auto or burst weapons. If the .gov thinks that's fine, it should be plenty fine for a semi-auto civilian rifle. If the military thought that they needed increased barrel mass to gain some sort of heat dampening propertied, they'd all be using HBAR's. The only heavy profile that I know of is the M4A1 barrel, and that is a special item because SEALS and what not are using their M4's as SAWs in massive SHTF gun battles doing mag dump after mag dump.

HBAR's are nothing more than a way for barrel makers to save on tooling wear and expense. Less time on a lathe, less metal to shave off.

Sorry for the rant. Get the "superlight" barrel. You will be glad you did. And when some tactical monkey at the range with his HBAR and massive rails and other crap mounted on there holds you rifle, they will remember that a carbine isn't suppose to weight 10lbs unloaded. Us superlight folks get criticized, but its our rifles everyone enjoys holding the most.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the lightweight.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Get the lightweight.

+1.  I have 2: Colt 6530 and a homebuild Colt lightweight flattop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top