Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2003 8:22:05 PM EDT
Hi,

I'm looking to buy some ammo for 2 weapons.  One an MP5.  The other an M16.

I have found one place called Georgia Precision that manufactures ammo.  They call if "Canned Heat".  It comes in cans unboxed for long term storage.  For the MP5 they have it in 124 grain and a subsonic 147 grain.

They also have 223.  Ever shoot it in a FA?

I am also curious about "Silver Bear" ammo in nickel cases.  I think this is coming out of former Sov bloc.  Any info?

Or, if you just know the cats meow for best price for good ammo LET ME KNOW.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I can help a little. The Silver Bear does come from Commie-land, but opinions of people here rate it better than Wolf. If you want cheap, try Eric the Ammoman (he's in the indusrty partner listing), where what you see is what you pay. You may find it cheaper, but after shipping, I have yet to find a company that beats him by more than $10.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 5:41:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Stanman,

Thanks.   I have done lots of business with Ammoman over the years.  He is an excellent source.  And you always get excellent service.

I am interested in possible even less expensive ammo if the quality is good enough.  I won't run Wolf through my weapons.  I won't buy any laquer ammo, steel cased, all ammo must be FMJ, don't want +P but want 124 gr for 9mm and 55 gr or 62 gr for 223.  Prefer military specs.  

I have heard the Georgia Arms "canned heat" is excellent quality, but am looking for confirmation.  The price difference if you order large enough quantity (orders over $500 free shipping - I think?):

ammoman - $189 per 1000 for XM193 55GR
Georgia - $150 per 1000 for 55gr FMJ

9mm

ammoman - $169 per 1000 Federal 124 gr
Georgia - $130 per 1000 124 gr Nato

So, assuming I am right about the shipping, if I make a bulk purchase of say 5000 each, Ammoman is:

(5x$169) + (5x189) = $1790

Georgia Arms:

(5x130) + (5x150) = $1400

There IS a price difference.  More so since I would probably upgrade the 9mm from Ammoman to the  Speer instead of the Federal (which runs dirty IMO).  So, the issue is - is the Georgia Arms ammo as good or good enough?

Hopefully, someone here has tried it.  

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Two more things to think about:

1st GA's canned heat are all RELOADS, not first run commercial loads, so they should cost less.

2nd  GA also provides a "trade in" credit on returned brass on your next order.  I did a quick look and found that 9mm is 0.75/100,but I was unable to locate the .223 return rate. Shipping the brass back could cost more then the credit I guess with the current USPS/UPS rates.

I have never used the stuff, but a lot of folks over to glocktalk seem to love it.  Go over and do a search.

FB
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
OK.  Reloads.  But a regular factory setting, not a garage where Gomer forgets where he is when Sheriff Andy stops by for a chat.

If it is reliable I'm in.  Hvae you used it?

Link Posted: 7/20/2003 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I've shot the Georgia Precision stuff and it is very good for reloads.  I would highly recommend it.  Eric the Ammoman is great, but you're right, his prices are a little high.  But with Eric you don't have to worry about anything, he's on time every time and and has first rate customer service.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:29:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I've shot about 400 rounds of the Georgia Arms 147gr 9mm out of my suppressed Uzi.  On the package it states 950fps.  It functions perfectly.  

Dan
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 5:38:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.  I like Ammoman, and I think I like the Lake  City stuff enough to pay more and get that from him.

But the  MP5 (and soon to be, well soon is relative - 6 months?) Mac11 are hungry beasts and I think I need to buy real bulk ammo.  

Guess I need to contact them and get some canned heat.

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:07:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#9]
MM

OK.  Which has or doesn't have crimped primers and how can I tell?  Could you expand?

Link Posted: 7/22/2003 5:10:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 5:41:11 AM EDT
[#11]
OK.  Thanks for that.   As an aside, on a AR15 I was shooting, I kept having intermittant failures to fire.  The trigger wasn't resetting.

COuldn't figure it out forever, til I found a primer lodged in the trigger area.  It would roll one way - rifle works.  Roll the other way - trigger she no reset.

OK.  I think I stick with military ammo for the M16.  But for the MP5 and Mac I think I'm gonna order a bunch of that canned heat cause it is hard to find 124 gr 9mm for a good price and I think that will feed best through my MP5.  I expect the Mac to eat whatever I give it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#12]
You're in AZ so you might want to try J&G Sales as they're in Prescott and have shipping discounts on 100,000+ round orders.  You'll save on shipping even with smaller orders.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#13]
HM,

Good point.  I will see if they carry what I need.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top