Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/6/2019 4:54:28 PM EDT
Hopefully I don't get in trouble for posting this here. I posted in the mag sub forum, and didn't get any hits, so I'm going to try my luck here..

Has anyone had any experience with these Bulgarian AR mags? I haven't been able to find anything online about them, other than the reviews for the product listing on clearviews site (below) and on Numrich's site. These are the only two vendors that I've found that offer them so far. Numrich being almost 2x more.

From the reviews, it seems they have AK style base plates and followers. I just found them interesting, and so I grabbed 10. At $10.50 a mag after shipping, why the hell not.

https://www.clearviewinvest.com/ar1522330rdmagazinesbulgariannewinplasticwrap.aspx

Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't obliviously see the floor-plates but they look like HK maritime clones.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting, After you get them , please post a review. ( With more pics )
View Quote
I definitely will. The design seems genius to me. Here's an old thread that I found about the plastic Bulgarian mags from 2010 where a member had posted some pics of one of the metal mags. His post is half way down the first page. This is literally the only mention of the mags I've been able to find online lol. He posted some great pics though. I just shot him a message and asked how they were still holding up.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Bulgarian-35rd-M16-Magazines-Who-s-Been-Using-Them-/17-483385/&page=1
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I would be alot more enthusiastic if these were made by the legitimate millitary factory known as ((10)), which is the Bulgarian factory who earned the reputation for extremely durable and reliable AK magazines. It is well known that the commercial Bulgarian  (non ((10)) polymer) mags were junk trying to capitalize on the association of Bulgaria with quality extreme duty ((10)) polymer mags for Kalashnikov based rifles.

Heres an example where the "gun writer" seems to confuse commercial "Bulgarian" with legit ((10)) military issued mags and has a terrible experience. Theres a reason why ((10)) mags are $40/piece.

https://www.thegunwriter.com/19338/im-done-with-polymer-ak-mags/

"Bulgarian" is not ((10)), "Polish" is not FB Radom just as delton or bear creek arsenal are certainly not Colt just because all three happen to be from the U.S.

For as long as these have been availible, you would think there would be tons of reviews either way.
Are these good? Who knows? Who knows who the manufacturer is? Bulgaria certainly isnt the manufacturer. The real "Bulgarian" magazines come from Arsenal Bulgaria aka ((10)) aka the former state owned military factory who produced (and still do) small arms for use in war.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would be alot more enthusiastic if these were made by the legitimate millitary factory known as ((10)), which is the Bulgarian factory who earned the reputation for extremely durable and reliable AK magazines. It is well known that the commercial Bulgarian  (non ((10)) polymer) mags were junk trying to capitalize on the association of Bulgaria with quality extreme duty ((10)) polymer mags for Kalashnikov based rifles.

Heres an example where the "gun writer" seems to confuse commercial "Bulgarian" with legit ((10)) military issued mags and has a terrible experience. Theres a reason why ((10)) mags are $40/piece.

https://www.thegunwriter.com/19338/im-done-with-polymer-ak-mags/

"Bulgarian" is not ((10)), "Polish" is not FB Radom just as delton or bear creek arsenal are certainly not Colt just because all three happen to be from the U.S.

For as long as these have been availible, you would think there would be tons of reviews either way.
Are these good? Who knows? Who knows who the manufacturer is? Bulgaria certainly isnt the manufacturer. The real "Bulgarian" magazines come from Arsenal Bulgaria aka ((10)) aka the former state owned military factory who produced (and still do) small arms for use in war.
View Quote
I’ve found some more info on them. Looks like they are made by Polymaggs Bulgaria, parent company GLB Bulgaria. At least that’s who has the license to export them to the US. I would say another company makes them. Polymaggs/GLB is the same company that brought us the Bulgarian polymer mags that aren’t the greatest. I haven’t bought any of the polymer AK mags, but I’ve heard mixed reviews. The user that had posted pics in the thread I posted a link to up above messaged me back and said they’ve been great. That’s been around 9 years since he bought them, so I’m feeling good about them. Seems like they are very similar to the HK mags mentioned above. Made from 1.6mm steel. 7.76 ounces. Almost twice as heavy as an aluminum mag lol

I wanted some bombproof AR mags though, and the fact that they are similar in design to AK mags makes it even better:) now I’m going to have to try to find some of those HK mags..

https://glbbg.com/html/upload/files/Polymaggs.pdf

https://glbbg.com
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 10:02:17 AM EDT
[#6]
More choices the better. Post up pictures and a review when you get them. Hopefully they are good to go.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I would be interested in your review. Please post one when you get/use them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Well I am really impressed so far. I haven't had a chance to seat one in one of my AR's yet, but cosmetically, they are REALLY nice. They are obviously heavier than Pmags and Aluminum USGI mags, but this doesn't bother me any. I prefer durability over light weight, and I'm use to the weight of my AK mags anyways. They come COVERED in oil and sealed in plastic, so these are perfect for someone who wants to squirrel away some mags for a good price. The follower moves smoothly and they are easy to disassemble and reassemble. I'm loving the AK like design. Once I have time to function test one, I'll give a more thorough review. I also plan to beat one up some (nothing impractical). Just wanted to get some pics up.

Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Interesting.

Tagged for updates.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Interesting.

Tagged for updates.
View Quote
I'll definitely keep this updated as I test them out. I'm pretty excited about these mags lol. Clearview has an ass load of them, so I'll more than likely be getting more if all goes well. I'm also waiting on a bunch of USGI (Okay and Brownell) mags that I just purchased. I'll pull one from the lot of the USGI mags and one of the Bulgarian mags, and do some side by side, dent for dent, testing.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:18:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Alright, some more honest feedback. The mags are easy to load. With the thicker AK style spring, there’s a little more spring resistance towards the last few rounds than there is with the various USGI mags and Magpul mags. They feed really smoothly, even the first of 30 rounds.

The only con so far is that unless you plan on giving the mag a slap (which it seems most people do anyways) these need to be downloaded to 28. I’ve never had to download mags, except for when I had an SP1 that didn’t like full mags for whatever reason. It doesn’t take a hard slap, but enough to where it won’t seat without a slap. A lot of people already download, so if you already do, this obviously isn’t going to be an issue. If it bothers you, this could probably be easily fixed by shaving a small amount off of the follower. All that being said, they fit really snug while having no issues dropping free.

I’m definitely happy. I’ll be doing some durability testing, and again, will probably be grabbing several more while they’re still available, but in all honestly, it’s still really hard to beat the D&H mags. The D&H mags don’t feel nearly as durable as these Bulgarians, and I’m sure they aren’t, but they are cheap, light, lock into place easily, and are well made. So far, if I could only have one mag, and it was between one of these Bulgarian mags or a D&H, I’d probably choose the Bulgarian. If I had to pick between the two to squirrel tons of one kind away, it’d be the D&H mags.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 2:04:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Those look good, i like the AK style floor plate. Can you weigh a mag that is empty and loaded and post results?

thanks
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Those look good, i like the AK style floor plate. Can you weigh a mag that is empty and loaded and post results?

thanks
View Quote
@cwm1150

I've got you some weight comparisons. Like I said, these are definitely a bit heavier than your standard AR mags, but that's the sacrifice you make for the bombproof construction I guess :)

Empty mags:

Pmag G2 - 4.804 OZ
D&H Aluminum - 4.081 OZ
Bulgarian Steel - 8.24 OZ

Loaded mags:

Pmag G2 - 17.544 OZ
D&H - 16.821 OZ
Bulgarian - 20.98 OZ

Roughly a 4 OZ difference per mag. Not terrible.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Great info, thanks for posting. That does look like the Made in Bulgaria sticker on the commercial polymer AK mags. I bought three of those for around $11 just to try out as range mags - two with the (very thin) metal reinforcements and one plain polymer. They work fine, but I have no doubt that the locking tab would snap right off if I did the rifle / mag drop test. Hopefully these 5.56 mags are more like their commercial metal AK mags.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@cwm1150

I've got you some weight comparisons. Like I said, these are definitely a bit heavier than your standard AR mags, but that's the sacrifice you make for the bombproof construction I guess :)

Empty mags:

Pmag G2 - 4.804 OZ
D&H Aluminum - 4.081 OZ

Loaded mags:

Pmag G2 - 17.544 OZ
D&H - 16.821 OZ
Bulgarian - 20.98 OZ

Roughly a 4 OZ difference per mag. Not terrible.
View Quote
I'd like to try them myself, but at 1/4 pound difference 8 magazines is 2 pounds of extra weight.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Double post
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the weights. Gonna order a few in a week. Hope they are still on sale.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Great info, thanks for posting. That does look like the Made in Bulgaria sticker on the commercial polymer AK mags. I bought three of those for around $11 just to try out as range mags - two with the (very thin) metal reinforcements and one plain polymer. They work fine, but I have no doubt that the locking tab would snap right off if I did the rifle / mag drop test. Hopefully these 5.56 mags are more like their commercial metal AK mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No problem! Yeah, it's definitely the same paint too. I have one of the new Bulgarian AK mags made by the same company, and they are actually really nice. I prefer actual steel military surplus AK mags, but the new Bulgarian mags are some of the best, if not the best, new commercial steel AK mags available right now. WAY nicer than the Korean.

Quoted:

I'd like to try them myself, but at 1/4 pound difference 8 magazines is 2 pounds of extra weight.
Ehh, steel AK mags are 11.5 OZ empty, and I've gotten use to toting them around. I still look at it as a weight reduction. Glass half full!lol
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks for the weights. Gonna order a few in a week. Hope they are still on sale.
View Quote
Looks like this thread has gotten them some attention. They still have 4144 in stock, but I'm sure if they keep selling them faster than normal, they'll up the price some.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

"Bulgarian" is not ((10)), "Polish" is not FB Radom just as delton or bear creek arsenal are certainly not Colt just because all three happen to be from the U.S.For as long as these have been availible, you would think there would be tons of reviews either way.
View Quote
Some of the "Bulgarian" mags in other instances were Chinese mags that were ran though a Bulgarian intermediary.  My guess is they are probably not really Bulgarian.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Some of the "Bulgarian" mags in other instances were Chinese mags that were ran though a Bulgarian intermediary.  My guess is they are probably not really Bulgarian.
View Quote
That's a big assumption, but I honestly wouldn't doubt it. I wouldn't have any issue at all with that though. The Chinese know how to make weaponry. I run Chinese flat backs in my AK's more than any other mags, and shoot my Chinese AK's more than any of my other AK's lol.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#24]
When somebody tried that trick running Chinese made AK 75 round backloading drums thru Romania and tagging them as 'Made In Romania' they went to prison. Or at least that's what the story is.
I bought one and can't tell the difference between a Chinese production unit but it's got better welds than a Korean made one.

Considering Bulgaria already stamps out AK mags I don't find it hard to believe they're stamping out AR mags as well. I just never knew they'd been available this long, or at all.

If they are actually made in China they could ask for more IMHO.

And I have no doubt as CI gets to the bottom of their stock the price will creep up and the last ones will net $20.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When somebody tried that trick running Chinese made AK 75 round backloading drums thru Romania and tagging them as 'Made In Romania' they went to prison. Or at least that's what the story is.
I bought one and can't tell the difference between a Chinese production unit but it's got better welds than a Korean made one.

Considering Bulgaria already stamps out AK mags I don't find it hard to believe they're stamping out AR mags as well. I just never knew they'd been available this long, or at all.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, they are more than likely manufactured in Bulgaria. I know for sure that it's the same manufacturer of the new "Bulgarian" AK mags, whether they are Bulgarian or not. The paint is identical. I doubt Polymaggs LLC, of GLBBG, actually makes them, but I'm sure they are Bulgarian. GLBBG (Green Light Bulgaria) is actually a brokerage company, so I would say they are just the middle man (exporter). Below is their website. It's a bit odd lol

https://glbbg.com/

Their mission statement:

"GLB Bulgaria is a company which specializes in the production, engineering and installation of photovoltaic systems. Our holding structure is focused on several key business areas - renewable energy, accounting and financial management, defense products, organic and propertys - resdential, commercial and industrial."

Quoted:

And I have no doubt as CI gets to the bottom of their stock the price will creep up and the last ones will net $20.
Yeah, I'm starting to wish I would have held off on starting this thread until I had enough to buy 50-100 haha. Looks like they've sold 100 since I started the thread. Again, not a lot, but a small company like that will definitely recognize that sort of change in demand. Hopefully they'll leave the price alone long enough for me to get another 50 or so lol. Either way, I look forward to hearing from some of the members who have bought some.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I just sent Polymaggs LLC (GLBBG) a list of questions in regards to these mags and their AK mags. If they get back to me, I'll share the answers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I weighed a couple more mags. Here's the complete list for comparison:

Empty mags:

Pmag G2 - 4.804 OZ
D&H Aluminum - 4.081 OZ
Colt 2010 dated Aluminum - 3.538 OZ (I believe this is due to the green follower being lighter than the magpul anti tilt)
Pmag G3 - 5.128 OZ

Loaded mags:

Pmag G2 - 17.544 OZ
D&H - 16.821 OZ
Bulgarian - 20.98 OZ
Colt 2010 dated Aluminum - 16.278 OZ
Pmag G3 - 17.868 OZ

By the way, for further comparison, the HK maritime mags weight 8.64 OZ empty. More than the Bulgarian mags.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Can you pull a follower and take a pic? Wondering if you could add Magpul anti-tilts or is that not needed or not an option?
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Can you pull a follower and take a pic? Wondering if you could add Magpul anti-tilts or is that not needed or not an option?
View Quote
It's not needed at all. The follower in the Bulgarian mag is anti-tilt by design. A member of the Files compared his magpul anti-tilt to the Bulgarian follower. The way the Bulgarian mag is designed, it would take a lot of work to get it to work if you could even get it to work.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#30]
It would require an AR spring as well for one, the Bulgy spring runs completely front-back like an AK spring so there's no room for the legs of a magpul follower.

I had a spare magpul GI follower and opened up one of my Bulgys just to give it a try.

You'd have to modify either the AR spring or the baseplate, or just let the spring sit sit on top of the floorplate without any way to anchor. IMHO it's not an improvement over the stock setup, this follower has zero tilt.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
They can't be advertised as Chinese because of import restrictions and these aren't Chinese or Bulgarian military grade magazines.  If you want to move cheap AR mags from china (which is already producing them for airsoft industry) you make them un-stamped intentionally and send them to a 3rd country that has looser import and export restrictions and you put a "Made in ..." sticker on them.  There isn't a domestic market for them in Bulgaria.  If your trying to make some money in Bulgaria by selling some mags to America would you invest in a factory, R&D, and all of this or buy the parts from china for $1.50/ea.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#32]
I'd always assumed the original market for these mags were .223 AKs with AR magwells.
Although if you're already stamping out AK mags then making this hybrid mag would be easier to produce than a clone of an AR mag with an AR type follower & spring.

Although if Clearview says this is inventory from 2010 and they're still sitting on 3 to 4 thousand, they're not gonna order more, they're probably gonna be thankful when they're no longer taking up space.

I need to order a few more small parts from CI and may throw a few more of these mags in the cart to cover shipping.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They can't be advertised as Chinese because of import restrictions and these aren't Chinese or Bulgarian military grade magazines.  If you want to move cheap AR mags from china (which is already producing them for airsoft industry) you make them un-stamped intentionally and send them to a 3rd country that has looser import and export restrictions and you put a "Made in ..." sticker on them.  There isn't a domestic market for them in Bulgaria.  If your trying to make some money in Bulgaria by selling some mags to America would you invest in a factory, R&D, and all of this or buy the parts from china for $1.50/ea.
View Quote
The owner of Clearview is going to call me Monday to discuss the mags. These particular mags were imported in 2010, around the time AR sells were skyrocking in the US due to the lift of the ban. The sales rep with Clearview said they won't be getting anymore in, and I'm starting to think Polymaggs isn't even offering them any more. It's likely they were just the exporter, and purchasing them from a manufacturer in Bulgaria. It's also very likely the manufacturer, whether Polymagg or someone else, started producing these mags to profit off of the lift of the ban, and they just never took off in the US market, so they scrapped them and stuck with the Polymer AK mags instead. Idk. Pure speculation. The stamping for AR style airsoft mags is totally different than for AR mags, so I'm not sure we can assume based on the fact that China is producing a lot of airsoft stuff, that they are producing these mags as well. Even if China was making these, and that's a big what if, they have been known for quality AK mags and rifles. It wouldn't turn me off to them in the least bit. Below is an update I posted on the thread I started on the Files.

I spoke with Clearview’s sales rep, and they are really thankful for all the new business lol he did say that once these mags are gone, they’re gone though, and confirmed they have 3,500+ left in stock. If the site is correct, it’s around 4,000. He wasn’t sure if Polymaggs is still offering or importing the mags, but he’s going to find out. Either way, there’s no plans to buy more for whatever reason. As I assumed, they’ve had what they have since 2010, and he said he doesn’t remember the price ever being changed. He said they don’t have any plans to change the price either. That’s one of the main reasons I reached out to them. Didn’t want them thinking the new traffic was because of a panic, and therefore bump the price as a result. I asked whether they’d consider offering a bulk discount, and he’s going to ask. The owner is actually going to call me Monday to discuss the mags and the stock set they have (I’m trying to find out the origin). I’ll update everyone once I’ve spoken to him. I should have some durability results for everyone before hand.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No problem! Yeah, it's definitely the same paint too. I have one of the new Bulgarian AK mags made by the same company, and they are actually really nice. I prefer actual steel military surplus AK mags, but the new Bulgarian mags are some of the best, if not the best, new commercial steel AK mags available right now. WAY nicer than the Korean.
View Quote
Just for others’ benefit, here is a comparison of the packaging for the AR and AK mags - clearly from the same source (and both thoroughly wet with a light oil, not Cosmoline like many older European magazines):

Attachment Attached File

The finish on the AR mag is more textured - not exactly rough, but sort of a nice matte finish that should offer a better gripping surface. When I wiped the oil off with a paper towel, I ended up with white fuzz on the mag body, especially in the grooves on the sides, where the rough surface ripped up the paper towel. The AK mag has a more smooth, gloss finish (hard to see in photos):

Attachment Attached File

The AR mag seems like a good quality, well-built product. I like the small tabs on the sides of the AK-style baseplate, which should help with gripping the mag when pulling it from a magazine pouch. However, it’s definitely more suited to a single mag pouch, since stacking them side by side in a double pouch could cause the baseplate tabs to interfere with each other.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#35]
As of this date and time, on sale for $9.34 each from the Clearviewinvest website.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Just for others’ benefit, here is a comparison of the packaging for the AR and AK mags - clearly from the same source (and both thoroughly wet with a light oil, not Cosmoline like many older European magazines):

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/8EB6864A-5521-4498-B54A-4DF348E233CD_jpeg-1049243.JPG
The finish on the AR mag is more textured - not exactly rough, but sort of a nice matte finish that should offer a better gripping surface. When I wiped the oil off with a paper towel, I ended up with white fuzz on the mag body, especially in the grooves on the sides, where the rough surface ripped up the paper towel. The AK mag has a more smooth, gloss finish (hard to see in photos):

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/01429AA0-9D45-48D8-8904-8F623E49C9D2_jpeg-1049245.JPG
The AR mag seems like a good quality, well-built product. I like the small tabs on the sides of the AK-style baseplate, which should help with gripping the mag when pulling it from a magazine pouch. However, it’s definitely more suited to a single mag pouch, since stacking them side by side in a double pouch could cause the baseplate tabs to interfere with each other.
View Quote
Thanks for the input! Seems everyone has been happy with them so far. I was going to do some durability tests today, but it’s going to have to wait until tomorrow.

IIRC the earlier new Bulgarian mags (around the same time these mags were imported) had a finish closer to these AR  mags. I’ll dig the one out I have for comparison.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
As of this date and time, on sale for $9.34 each from the Clearviewinvest website.
View Quote
When I spoke to Clearview, they said they can’t remember ever changing the price, so technically, these are 2010 prices lol not bad at all considering Numrich is charging almost 2x the price. I’ve also found some on GB for $20 a piece! Not really that surprising I guess. GB is usually over priced.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the background info on these magazines. Definitely a good price - the shipping cost is a little higher than some places, but it seems to be a flat rate that doesn’t go up when I add more items. Having said that, their shipping was crazy fast - I placed my order on Tuesday, they shipped the same day and arrived on Thursday. I’ll have to order a few more next month - kind of busted the hobby budget this month!
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thanks for the background info on these magazines. Definitely a good price - the shipping cost is a little higher than some places, but it seems to be a flat rate that doesn’t go up when I add more items. Having said that, their shipping was crazy fast - I placed my order on Tuesday, they shipped the same day and arrived on Thursday. I’ll have to order a few more next month - kind of busted the hobby budget this month!
View Quote
@3ACR_Scout

No problem at all man! Just glad I’ve been able to point people to what appears so far to be a quality product. Shipping is a little high, but it is priority, and like you said, if you buy a few it’s not bad at all. I think you have plenty of time to get your hobby funds up again to buy some more before they’re out for good. They’ve sold around 200 in the past 2 weeks since I started the thread, most of which were in the last week, but they have around 4,000 left. I’ve saved enough funds for 30 more, but waiting until after testing tomorrow before buying them just in case the mag happens to fail, which I’m highly doubting. That’ll probably be all I buy. I sent one to a friend of mine for testing with a full auto, and I’ll be beating up one a little tomorrow, so that’ll put me at 38 total. Really would love to buy much more, but while I can still get used USGI mags for around $5, I’m going to put my future hobby funds towards them instead. Unfortunately, I don’t think we’ll be able to buy 30rd mags for much longer. So whether or not the Bulgarian out performs the Okay Ind and pmag mags, more is better at the moment, and USGI mags are obviously proven.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Any recommendations for the testing?
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 12:59:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Deleted
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for posting this. The Beretta are my favorite steel mags, but they aren't available anymore. The SCAR mags are really nice and expensive. I'll give a few of these a try.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well I am really impressed so far. I haven't had a chance to seat one in one of my AR's yet, but cosmetically, they are REALLY nice. They are obviously heavier than Pmags and Aluminum USGI mags, but this doesn't bother me any. I prefer durability over light weight, and I'm use to the weight of my AK mags anyways. They come COVERED in oil and sealed in plastic, so these are perfect for someone who wants to squirrel away some mags for a good price. The follower moves smoothly and they are easy to disassemble and reassemble. I'm loving the AK like design. Once I have time to function test one, I'll give a more thorough review. I also plan to beat one up some (nothing impractical). Just wanted to get some pics up.https://i.imgur.com/ddTaX2Pl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/94osHjRl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RYxS5iGl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/TfqEVfyl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/sen4HGRl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zQsF5fDl.jpg
View Quote
Considering that PMAGs and USGI are extremely durable that's a surprise statement.

You should worry more about reliability as you will spend more time shooting with your mags than trying to destroy them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thanks for the input! Seems everyone has been happy with them so far. I was going to do some durability tests today, but it’s going to have to wait until tomorrow.

IIRC the earlier new Bulgarian mags (around the same time these mags were imported) had a finish closer to these AR  mags. I’ll dig the one out I have for comparison.
View Quote
No need for durability tests. They are a bit moot. Reliability tests would be better. Drop free, seating, rounds between failure, etc. Those are what mags are used for. Testing with various rifles/lowers would be good too. Please don't do any running them over with your car or dropping them loaded on the feed lips tests. Unrealistic and waste of time.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's not needed at all. The follower in the Bulgarian mag is anti-tilt by design. A member of the Files compared his magpul anti-tilt to the Bulgarian follower. The way the Bulgarian mag is designed, it would take a lot of work to get it to work if you could even get it to work.
View Quote
Thanks. Good to know and great info.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No need for durability tests. They are a bit moot. Reliability tests would be better. Drop free, seating, rounds between failure, etc. Those are what mags are used for. Testing with various rifles/lowers would be good too. Please don't do any running them over with your car or dropping them loaded on the feed lips tests. Unrealistic and waste of time.
View Quote
I agree for the most part, but reliability is determined after years of us, and durability tests at least can give us an idea of whether they will be reliable. I actually ran some tests already, and had posted a video, but took it down until I can get another gmail/YouTube account set up that isn’t my personal account. I couldn’t get the mag to choke up with a realistic amount of dirt/sand, and it held up to drops just fine (Okay Ind mag suffered broken retaining plate tabs). I think the durability tests can get pretty ridiculous though. I kept it as realistic as possible. I’ll post the video again soon.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Look what I just found. Ukraine soldier with what appears to be one of these mags.

Link Posted: 8/19/2019 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I had one in my three mag load-out for a 3 day carbine class over the weekend.  Stone/dust range and working surfaces during course.  I just shook out dust and rocks every once in a while.  No problems with the Bulgarian.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I picked a few up also.
Ran fine in a 20" retro, 18" rifle, and 7 1/2" pistol
So far, I'm very happy with them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I had one in my three mag load-out for a 3 day carbine class over the weekend.  Stone/dust range and working surfaces during course.  I just shook out dust and rocks every once in a while.  No problems with the Bulgarian.
View Quote
That's awesome! Were you getting any weird looks for the weird looking AR mag?lol

Quoted:
I picked a few up also.
Ran fine in a 20" retro, 18" rifle, and 7 1/2" pistol
So far, I'm very happy with them.
View Quote
Good to hear! I actually spoke with the owner of Clearview Investments on Monday. Very interesting guy, and one of the original big time surplus guys (Mike Davis is the name). Long story short, he said that the Burlgarian mags where actually brought in as a result of an explosion at a Bulgarian arms factory around the 2008-2010 time frame (he couldn't recall exactly). He had placed a large order with the company (didn't specify what for), and that the goods that he had ordered were destroyed in the explosion. While they were working out what they were going to do about the order, the company mentioned that they had a large order of mags left over from an Israeli contract, and that they could send the mags instead to compensate for the goods he had originally ordered. Thus, he received 4,200+ mags.lol I'll have to do some more research into this. I'd like to try to find a picture of the mags being used by the Israelis. I've only found the one pic of the Ukrainian soldier with one, and maybe it was a Ukrainian contract instead of Israeli. He also stated that he had never heard of Polymaggs Bulgaria. So that makes me wonder if my assumption that they were just an exporter is right, or it could be that the company he got them from was playing the middle man for the contract and Polymaggs Bulgaria was the manufacturer. More questions than answers I guess lol He did state that he got them out of Sofia Bulgaria. I HIGHLY doubt Arsenal ((10)) made the mags, but they are located in Sofia. I was short on time when he called, and so I plan on calling him back some other time. I'll get some more clarity on this when I do.

Here's a pic of one seated in my Sopmod block 1.5 "inspired clone" (poor quality pic). Aside from the durability, I just like the looks of them lol

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top