Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 10:01:06 AM EDT
Though not new to firearms...been handling/shooting/reloading for many many years... mostly handguns. I have aways wanted an AR type rifle and have looked at buying one off the shelf but decided I may enjoy it more if I build it myself...Sooooo.....here I am...
I've heard good things about you guys here at AR15 from other forums I frequent and hope to pick up some good knowledge here...
I know there are lots of mfg's/vendors/dealers etc...I am looking for tips advise etc to help get me started. Nothing elaborate to start but it could be as I go along....I'm interested in getting the base firearm together first and doing it correctly.
Suggestions on tools etc too...
thanks....mack
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Use the guide found here to put togethor your lower reciever.  There is also a guide in this forum to help you with lots of pics if you need it.

I suggest for you first upper buying one already put togethor.  Eagle Firearms has some great deals on uppers and will help you decide what you want better.

I would suggest a complete taper punch and roll pin punch set from Sears to help.  I know I'll get flamed for saying the whole set, but it is very useful besides just building guns.  The one's I have came with a lifetime warranty (pretty rare for a punch set).

You might also want to consider some brass hammers (4 oz. and 8 oz.) so you won't be taking the finish off when you mess with tapers pins, etc.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:08:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response Purple Cheese, I have printed all the guides and read through them. Now looking for input on the pieces and parts I should get to get started. I noticed that MidwayUSA has DPMS AR parts, are they good quality? Also have checked out Eagle Firearms, Adco, Stag Arms and a few others. I understand alot of this is personal preference or use specific, but for my first build figure I would be happy with a fully functional and accurate shooter and not necessarily a super build at this point. mack
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I have used some of the DPMS pins and springs kits and found them to be of good quality.  I haven't cared for the finish on the DPMS bolt carriers that I've handled.

I haven't used a DPMS trigger/hammer group so I can't comment on their quality.  I have used RRA Lower Parts Kits and the quality has been really good.  I've also liked the Armalite LPK found at Quantico arms.

If you want something accurate and fully functional, I might suggest a 20" Gov't Profile Bushmaster upper.  It'll be relatively light (when compared against HBARs) and will give good accuracy.

If you want an M4profile, you might consider the R4 uppers from RRA, or maybe a Midlength 16" upper from Armalite or Rock River.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I highly reccomenr Rock River Arms lower parts kit.  never had a problem and they fit great.  the go for around $56 IIRC.  i would also buy a DPMS armorers wrench, it can perform almost all of the functions you will need to build your AR, especially on the upper if you choose to build that yourself. (its not that hard but you do need a few extra tools, like a receiver block to put it in a vice, etc).  I built my first ar all from diagrams and information founf on this boeard and from part i bought on the EE.  building your fist is that way to go, it is a lot of fun and it gives you an intimate knowledge of how the gun works and make amintenance and trouble shooting much easier.  good luck and enjoy
Jservis
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top