Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2002 6:34:50 AM EDT
This is going to be my CQB AR. Mainly used for close range/indoors/CQB type work. Need some thoughts on a few things.

Which products do you prefer, ARMS or GG&G?
Do you prefer a flip up or fixed front sight?
Trijicon Reflex or Aimpoint?

Keep in mind what the primary use of this rifle will be. I am ordering my upper this week and need to go ahead and decide which route I want to go with the above items. Thanks for any input. My problem is I like all of the above and havent used any of them enough to form a definitive position. I am a huge K.I.S.S. beleiver though. So with that in mind, fire away.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Hello Hawkeye,

Since you ask, here's my "two cents"

Never a big fan of the AR until about a year ago when I bought a Bushmaster post-ban M-4. Well, since then I have been in LOVE ! ! ! This little carbine in unbelievable  ! ! In over 2500 rounds, never a problem. Will eat anything I can stuff in a mag (W-W, SA, reloads, Wolf).   Only one thing I did not like:  LOUD ! ! Mini Y-comp works like a charm, but LOUD ! !   So....removed the brake and installed a long Fake Brake from Kurt's.  Much better  ! !   Now I know you need to wear hearing protection when shooting, but will you if the SHTF ? ? ? Anyway, Fake brake really cuts down on the noise.  Slight muzzle climb, but in a 223 ?!?!?  Anyway, still use this little carbine in the local steel plate shoots (out to 100 yards), and have done very well.  Only other change was the addition of Trijicon sights. For me, that is all I need for my SHTF/CQB carbine. I believe that "skill" will do better that a bunch of "bells and whistles". If the "balloon goes up", this will be the carbine I take going out the back door  ! !  
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Which products do you prefer, ARMS or GG&G?

ARMS

Do you prefer a flip up or fixed front sight?

Fixed

Trijicon Reflex or Aimpoint?

Aimpoint

Mike
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#3]
On my cwb/entry gun I use an 11.5 barrel(SBR tax stamp) fixed front sight with carry handle and a trijicon reflex mounted forward of the carry handle( no batteries) I use an A-1 stock on it to keep it shorted and on the handguard I have the GGG M-3 mount for my light.  Not as simple as some but very useful. I agree about the muzzel brake leave it off and go with the fake brake.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 10:05:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I got my upper and a Refelex ordered. Decided to go with the Reflex for a couple of reasons. The price was the same as I could get an Aimpoint for, and I really like Trijicons stuff. In the idea of keeping things simple, I like that the Reflex is always "on". No batteries to go dead or to remember to turn it on/off.
As for the rifle itself, I already have a 16 inch A2 carbine that is my shtf rifle. This one is going to be a 14.5 inch CQB gun with a flat top upper.
I also went with a fixed front sight to keep things rugged and simple. All I need to do know is decide on what mount I want for the reflex, which rear sight, and whether or not I want a GG&G rail/Swan sleeve on the upper or not, to mount the reflex & its mount to.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]
As you know, I have a Reflex and an Aimpoint. My prefference between the two is actually Aimpoint, but I still love the Reflex.

I really, really think forward mounting dot sights offer A LOT of advantages over mounting them otherwise. It clears your field of view, allows quicker and better focus, aids in two eye open shooting and more.

Having said that, I think the best way to mount the Reflex is on a carry handle, not a flat top. There are not as many mounts for the Reflex as there is the Aimpoint, and none of them forward mount by themselves, except the carry handle mount.

You can get an ARMS 38ex, or GG&G FIRE Scout rail + the ARMS #15 Reflex mount. This will give you a little extention out over the handguards. But not nearly as much as a carry handle mount.

The ARMS #38S-ex will give you a rail all the way out to the front sight. That plus the ARMS #15 will get you as far out as you want to be. The ARMS SIR will, of course, do the same.

I have a lot of ARMS and GG&G gear. Which you should get largely depends on your overall package. For instance, if you were getting a flat top with M4 handguards, I would go GG&G FIRE rail, because only it fits over the fatter handguards (I really wish ARMS would do something about that). If you are talking about back up iron sights, I like the ARMS #40 over all the others. If you are talking Aimpoint mount direct to a flat top, I like the GG&G Cantilever as it offers good forward extention. If you are talking about an Aimpoint mount on a rail I like the ARMS unit because it is quick detatch. All of it is good gear, but some is better suited for specific set ups than others.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 4:49:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I know what you mean about the forward mounting and agree. I just got too good of a deal on the Reflex to pass it up.

Have you seen this from GG&G? www.gggaz.com/products/Trijicon.php

I know it still isnt quite as far forward as what you mentioned, but, I am going with M4 handgards for now. SIR might come later once more funds ($$) are obtained.
I would like to keep everything the same, ie, if I go with the GG&G rail, using a GG&G rear sight, or all Arms, etc.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 6:36:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I have not used their low profile Reflex mount, but I am quite curious to see how it works. It looks very light and sleek, but I have no idea how it mounts or dismounts.

The GG&G Scout rail pictured above I have used for some time. As you now it does fit over the M4 handguards, and it offers a little more extension than the ARMS #38ex. If you go with the GG&G extended rail, you can use the ARMS #40 rear sight. They will fit together, and I would highly recomend that. Especially if you are considering going to a SIR eventually. If you do, you will already have the #40. SIR does not come with a flip up rear and can only be used with the #40 (I think the KAC 300 meter site will alos fit the SIR).
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I think I am going to go with the GG&G stuff. The rail above is supposedly a new one made specifically for the Reflex to be mounted to. Cant remember if that is the one you have or not. Just to keep everything the same, I think I am going to go with the GG&G rear sight as well, for now. I like the Arms but the one thing I like better about the GG&G is that it locks in the up and down positions.

www.gggaz.com/products/A2StyleBUIS.php

Link Posted: 10/1/2002 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Really not trying to disuade you from the GG&G site if thats the one you want, but I've read a few things about the #40 and its design recently that really amazed me.

The #40 is spring loaded as you know. So you dont have to worry about it getting knocked down. If it does, it pops back up immediately. In addition, the #40 is designed with rounded ears, these ears cant slightly rearward. In the event it is dropped on the sight, the rear cant and shape of the protective ears help the site just flatten down in the folded position, and will pop right back into place after impact.

A lock will keep the sight up for sure, but if it is dropped, the lock, or worse, the whole sight is far more likely to break all together.

How likely are you to drop your rifle on the BUIS? I dont plan on ever doing that. But you know, that I know, that you know that Murphy rules.

I am amazed at the thought and engineering that was put into the #40 design. And again, I wont down a GG&G product. I own and like them as well. I just wanted to get all this out there so you can make a fully informed decision.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am amazed at the thought and engineering that was put into the #40 design.

If only they designed it to use the A1 disk instead of the A2's knob.  Then it would have been perfect IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#11]
You just have to keep throwing a wrench into my plans with all that useful extra information dont you!          

I have thought about the fact that the Arms is spring loaded and would flip back up. My only thought was, if I was in thick concealment of some for, like heavy bushes, and branch or limb might inadvertantly push the sight down somewhat or something. That is a good point about it getting knocked out of commision if it was dropped though. Murphy is second only to God himself to me so I might keep thinking this through a bit more.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am amazed at the thought and engineering that was put into the #40 design.

If only they designed it to use the A1 disk instead of the A2's knob.  Then it would have been perfect IMHO.

Newer versions have a lower-profile knob that's more like the older disk.  So I guess it's perfect.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top