Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 6:35:39 PM EDT
I am wanting to build my own AR....just to learn how and to understand the weapon better as a whole.  I already have the upper (Dtech) and got a bolt and carrier from Bravo Company.

I had (have) the opportunity to get a stripped Bushy for $150....but the guy is dragging his feet and taking forever and I'm getting anxious.  I want to move forward.  I want a high quality lower. SO WHAT SHOULD I GET? I've been looking at LMT (Lewis).

This will be my 1st build and I just want a sweet shooter rifle.

I guess I'm just looking for experienced opinions.  Whatever gets the most votes....I get.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#1]
just my opinion, $150 is a little steep for a lower. but if that's what you absolutely have to have..
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#2]
For that price I would get one of the new  billet lowers made by Sun Devil. John/Teknic sells them and they look nice. RRA, Stag, DPMS, CMMG and many more are much cheaper than the BM and just as good in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Are LMT's any good?  are they mill spec?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:50:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
just my opinion, $150 is a little steep for a lower. but if that's what you absolutely have to have..

+1 on price issue.

CSP
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:06:36 AM EDT
[#6]
LCW, did my first build with one, looks good.

Watch that bolt catch roll pin when you put it together.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:08:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
For that price I would get one of the new  billet lowers made by Sun Devil. John/Teknic sells them and they look nice. RRA, Stag, DPMS, CMMG and many more are much cheaper than the BM and just as good in my opinion.

Be advised that Sun Devil lowers are 6061 Billet NOT the 7075T6 Forging that a "mil spec" would be made from.  The tensil strength of 6061 billet is quite a bit "weaker" than 7075T6 nor is it as hard.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Be advised that Sun Devil lowers are 6061 Billet NOT the 7075T6 Forging that a "mil spec" would be made from.  The tensil strength of 6061 billet is quite a bit "weaker" than 7075T6 nor is it as hard.

Didn't know that. Probably won't much matter for most paper punchers though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#10]
i've got several and all are good.

i'm fond of the Superior Arms units.  $97 new on the EE from RB Precision.

i also dig the RRA and Bushmaster.  Colt is good - cost it high.  Stag and Mega i hear about often, but don't own.

HTH.

septic tank
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies.  Now I'm torn!  I really liked the LMT but I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to learn how to build one of these bad boys from scratch.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Start with the cheapest you can find that way you don't get too mad when you scratch it up
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want to build one from scratch, that's great.  I wish you nothing but the best, though I should warn you that it's rather addictive and can ruin your financial well-being.

Here's what I've found:

Stag lowers are great in quality.  They are an off-shoot of CMT and you won't find better than that.  The price for a stripped lower is right at $100.

Stag Lower Parts Kits are comprised of some of the best quality I have seen in any LPK's.  I've looked at them all, and I can promise you that I will never use another brand - especially for a single-stage trigger.  These things are incredible.

Building the upper is more problematic in that it requires you to buy tools that you can only use for building AR uppers.  Factoring the price of the tools into the cost of the upper could mean that buying a pre-assembled upper is the better choice.  If you don't foresee yourself building two or more ARs, shop around and find a smith that can put one together to your specifications.  You get the looks and function that you want, but you also get their assurance of quality and function.

Personally, I will be building/buying a mid-length upper just as soon as I get employed again.  It's addictive, for sure.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I appreciate all the comments.  An upper will be my next project for sure.  I bought tools for this project knowing this would only be the beginning.  I had a bushy varminter about a year ago and have kicked myself ever since for selling it.  I agree addictive.

I honestly hate the "stag" on the side of a stag lower.  Does CMT make a lower?  Has anyone heard if LMT will sell a stripped lower?  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top