Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/6/2017 9:07:58 AM EDT
I'm working on gathering all the parts for my first pistol build. I'm looking for advice on a set of sights. I've got a Noveske 10.5" barrel and Noveske head spaced bolt, so I know it will be accurate. My plan is to put a Steiner 1-4x24 scope on it in a Larue QD mount. I've used MBUS on my rifle builds, but thinking maybe Troy or KAC on the pistol. The purpose of the pistol is shooting under 200 yards and playing in my back yard range. May take a class at Badlands Tactical next year with it. Any advice is appreciated.

Will post pics and complete parts list on the build when finished, but I'm really excited about this build.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Any choice on BUIS is pretty personal and budgetary (is that a word?)

I have used several, although I personally don't like the MBUS polymer.

Troy regular and micro.
Ruger marked Sampson.
MBUS Pro.
ARMS 41B front and 40 rear on an sbr that started as a pistol.
Sig brand pistol sights.
RTG HK416 type fixed.
DD fixed.

I have a few sets of the Sampson's as I've picked them up on the EE for a $100 a set.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any choice on BUIS is pretty personal and budgetary (is that a word?)

I have used several, although I personally don't like the MBUS polymer.

Troy regular and micro.
Ruger marked Sampson.
MBUS Pro.
ARMS 41B front and 40 rear on an sbr that started as a pistol.
Sig brand pistol sights.
RTG HK416 type fixed.
DD fixed.

I have a few sets of the Sampson's as I've picked them up on the EE for a $100 a set.
View Quote
I have a set of Sig branded Sampson sights on my Sig 516 and they're really nice. I don't really have a budget for the sights, most are inexpensive enough to not worry about price. I  definitely want folding sights, and unfortunately live in the boonies and nowhere to check out all the different brands. I want a set that will last "forever" and has a great reputation. I'd really like a set that easy to switch from CQB to precision.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#3]
You have HK style sights listed, brownells has a set of HK style folders...fyi. I have them on my pistol. Personally got them off the EE for price...I actuallywanted Magpul flip sights for faster deployment.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I run two pistols with optics and no BUIS
I run the third with DDA1 fixed sights only.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I only have one AR pistol and run it with DD fixed sights only.

Yg
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]
If they are going under a scope you are never going to use them so you might aswell get the cheap polymer ones. There is no reason to pay 150+ dollars for something you will sight in and more than likely never have to use past that.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I have XS big dot 45 degree night sight BUIS on several of my rifles and my 7" pistol. I really like them. If the scope or red dot is inoperable I can just roll the rifle over and they're right there day or night.

Don't have a great photo, but you can see them.

Link
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I really like MBUS pros.... as in, have many sets of them. So that's my vote.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for MBUS Pro.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I recently got a Kriss Vector and it had their Defiance brand flip up sights on it.  Very impressed.

Can't find anyone with them in stock though...

https://kriss-usa.com/images/dealer-resources/defiance/DEFIANCE-Datasheet/DEFIANCE_Accessory-Sights.pdf

Had a quality feel to them, smaller than Magpuls, and don't require buttons or levers to engage or put back down.  

The sites that list them (oos of course) all show around 100 or so for the set.  Much nicer than Magpuls.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I have half dozen ARs with optic and BUIS (Magpul F/R) and in past 12+ years I don't ever remember an optic going down and requiring the BUIS.
Last two ARs only have optics now...I might put BUIS later.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have half dozen ARs with optic and BUIS (Magpul F/R) and in past 12+ years I don't ever remember an optic going down and requiring the BUIS.
Last two ARs only have optics now...I might put BUIS later.
View Quote
Yeah I run them on my other ARs, but like you, I have never used them other than to sight in.  I liken them to paying for car insurance I guess. You buy them with hope of never needing them LOL
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#13]
If you just want some of the best and toughest without concern for price, then I'd say go with KAC. I'd throw a 99051 in black on the front with a 300m regular or micro rear. The 300m micro rear is a good bit less expensive retail than a regular 300m, but either can be had for a relatively decent price if you're patient and keep an eye on the EE. KAC does make some fine sights, and they are are pretty much bombproof... but compared to other brands they are definitely a bit pricey.

Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with a set of MBUS or MBUS Pros; they are quite good sights for the money. Being practical, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend $250-$300 for a set of KAC BUIS that you're likely to zero and then never use again. Of course, BRD and "practical" doesn't always go hand in hand.

Besides, KAC sights turn boys into men and men into great bearded Norse gods of war. Also may cause women to spontaneously become pregnant. That's the rumor, anyway. More than one woman has been overheard in a hospital delivery room yelling at her husband, "Damn you and your KAC! This is all your fault!" So, I'm pretty sure it's true.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a set of the Aero Precision BUIS on my 11.5" pistol and like them more than the Magpul MBUS I have on my 16".  The HK style hooded front sight really helps with quick alignment.  Just center the hood in the peep and fire away.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If they are going under a scope you are never going to use them so you might aswell get the cheap polymer ones. There is no reason to pay 150+ dollars for something you will sight in and more than likely never have to use past that.
View Quote
+1, also look at:
Cheap rear - metal
Chear front - metal
Dude who writes articles for Firearms News (formally Shotgun News) likes these.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:17:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you just want some of the best and toughest without concern for price, then I'd say go with KAC. I'd throw a 99051 in black on the front with a 300m regular or micro rear. The 300m micro rear is a good bit less expensive retail than a regular 300m, but either can be had for a relatively decent price if you're patient and keep an eye on the EE. KAC does make some fine sights, and they are are pretty much bombproof... but compared to other brands they are definitely a bit pricey.

Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with a set of MBUS or MBUS Pros; they are quite good sights for the money. Being practical, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend $250-$300 for a set of KAC BUIS that you're likely to zero and then never use again. Of course, BRD and "practical" doesn't always go hand in hand.

Besides, KAC sights turn boys into men and men into great bearded Norse gods of war. Also may cause women to spontaneously become pregnant. That's the rumor, anyway. More than one woman has been overheard in a hospital delivery room yelling at her husband, "Damn you and your KAC! This is all your fault!" So, I'm pretty sure it's true.
View Quote
I have a set of KAC sights on a KISS/IDF build I'm doing. I absolutely love them. I currently have Troy, Sampson, KAC, and MBUS on other rifles as BUIS. This is just my first pistol build. I like the idea of the cheap UTG sights, I may try those in the future since I really never use my BUIS. I really need to start because that is a training deficiency. I'm fortunate enough to have a 100yd range in my back yard, so I really have no excuse lol. Thanks for all the input guys. I'm almost done with the build and looking forward to sending some lead down range with the shorty.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#17]
While I'd suggest the plastic magpuls since they likely will never get used, you may run into the issue of the your scope making contact with the rear sight or it's going to be darn close.  You will have no issue with the rear sight from KAC or the metal magpul and likely a number of other brands that are low profile.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
+1, also look at:
Cheap rear - metal
Chear front - metal
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1, also look at:
Cheap rear - metal
Chear front - metal
I just stumbled on these watching YouTube vids and everyone that reviewed them liked them.
I'll be putting these on my 300BO and AR9 builds as backups to the red dots.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I really like MBUS pros.... as in, have many sets of them. So that's my vote.
View Quote
The MBUS Pro and DD fixed are good choices, although the DD are a touch bulky.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#20]
The UTG rear sight linked above is what Springfield uses on the Saint rifle. I sell them at my shop. They are sorta "meh" in comparison to more expensive models but for the money you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:54:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I run two pistols with optics and no BUIS
I run the third with DDA1 fixed sights only.
View Quote
This, I stopped putting back up irons on all my new builds. Modern optics are reliable and paper doesn't shoot back.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top