Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 12:39:39 PM EDT
Well, I'm starting to build another AR, as is a frend of mine (this will be his first "EBR"). My first, I built to be a tack driving varmint gun. This one, I want to build to be a "Tactical" CQ/HD rifle, so I want it to be as short as legally possible. My friend wants to build his to similar specs.

I don't want to use an 11" barrel, and then have a 5" flash hider, so I'll be looking for a 16" barrel. I'll probably want a reail mount surefire or some other light. Might want a laser as well, but I'm not sure. I will want to end up with an EOTech or similar holosight,  but I'm not sure if I want to have a front sight on the berrel or not.

We're starting with Spike's Tactical lowers. When we saw them at the gun show, I'd never heard of them, so I did a quick search here and they seem to be a good group with good quality. Looking at the recievers, they do seem to be of good quality.

We also picked up lower parts kits from KB Design & mfg while at the show, which I'm not too impressed with. The bolt catch plunger was too big to fit in the reciever, so i had to file it down something like .005" so it would fit. One of the trigger/hammer pins was somewhat tapered and I had to file one end down about the same as the bolt catch plunger. The pivot pin does not like my bushmaster upper; it binds up bad. Moved my bushmaster pin over to it and it worked fine. The Takedown & pivot pin detents also needed modification as they where too pointy and pretty much locked the pins.

I picked up a Tapco collapsable stock, but I'm not sure I like it. It doesn't slide smooth, especially when pushed all the way in.

I'd also like to have the barrel set up to accept a quick detach surpressor. Can anyone recommend a good QD surpressor?

Does anyone have any suggestions on good parts we can use to build these rifles up?

Thanks

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top