Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/11/2007 5:52:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/11/2007 5:57:22 PM EDT by Shockergd]
Looking at build #2 for an AR. My first one went quite well, and ended up with something amazing for a good price.

Few questions on my next build :

I'm looking at building another lower reciever that would be able to do 9mm AND be able to switch a few parts out (less than 30 minutes) and switch to another upper, untill i would get maybe another finished lower for ar #3. Is it possible, easy, or the like to do a 9mm build that could be switched out with a standard upper so that it would be easy to do , even at the range?

The biggest thing i'd see being a issue would be the mag well, as the 9mm is different than the 223 magwell, but i was thinking there were a few things that could be added in that would make it easier.

Origionally, I was looking to a .45 build but it seems like the 9mm is done much easier.

Opinions?

Edit : Doing more research on the 9mm thing... Questions that have risen up are...

Is a 223 bolt comparable with the 9mm bolt? One review said it was doable, but would cause exessive wear...I was surprised they even said it was possible. Also found conflicting opinions about the hammer , and whether or not it needs a seperate hammer.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:30:38 PM EDT
You will need a 9mm hammer.

I dont know about the bolt. I would guess no because 9mm is blowback & 223 uses gas. More input on this would be good.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:41:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/11/2007 8:58:03 PM EDT by MGP]
If your building a 9mm dont bother wasting your money on a 9mm hammer.Get a DPMS no-notch hammer and get the bolt ramped which i happen to do.It takes the exess force that is applied to the hammer and prevents hammer pin breakage and wearing out the receiver holes. You could build to switch uppers all you would have to do is use the RRA 9mm buffer that you could use for both 9mm and 223/5.56 and get a magblock that goes in from the bottom like RRA's. The best way is to build a lower for the 9 so you could run a Q-Buffer from slash to eliminate bolt catch breakage but it will work for now if you have only one lower. The Q-Buffer will not work with a 223 upper because its to long.To switch uppers from 9 to 223 all you would need to do is take the magblock out and switch uppers less than 5 minutes.Mike
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 2:26:46 PM EDT
I would just get any quality lower. i used a DPMS lower and LPK and I did switch the hammer with a RRA hammer because I did not want to ramp the bcg andsince I ordered a RRA 9mm upper and mag block. Slapped it all together in 20 minutes or so. (magwell block was tight). If you wanted to changed at the range all you have to do is use a DPMS hammer switch uppers and pull the mag block out. I have been reading here where guys are using 9mm buffers with 223 or 5.56 uppers. However pulling the mag block in and out might mean that you have to adjust it each time for reliable feeding.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:11:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 6:12:08 PM EDT by theskuh]
I am researching the same thing.

The standard .223 rifle buffer is the same weight as the 9mm car buffer. so if you could live with an a1 or a2 type fixed stock. you wouldn't have to swap buffers or worry about a 9mm buffer.

I am going to have a dpms lower kit (no notch hammer) and then have a .223 upper and a 9mm upper with a bolt that is ramped (adco). S0 it should be painless to swap between the two.

Top Top